Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Yes - don't know if Octopus are subsidising the £4/kwh - are others offering that - thought they were only payed £3,000MW/h

but I don't think the air vent they installed in the bathroom is helping!
make a cover - all our properties have same issue non-closing vent - cut the bottom of a 1Gallon plastic container and put a loop of thread through grill and container to secure it.

Agile pricing tomorrow looks high !

53362995389_f0f8f3ddb0_c.jpg

Triad warning at work today - dunno exact details off the top of my head but for 2 hours it was like 50x normal prices :s problem is no one cares at a staff level.

Octopus saving session tomorrow
Thanks for the heads up, i've opted in - although my savings are fairly limited since we don't do peak type things and our electric usage is mostly flat.
However, it just so happens today I have to walk and do a nursery pickup at 5:30 to 6:30 so I may as well just shut off the entire house at the breaker for the whole period :D
Our electric usage is mostly fridge/dehumidifier/servers plus all the little background items.

SNv0q6S.png

I really wish I had gas, I can't stand these storage heaters even though they are brand new ones including loft/wall insulation upgrades by the council. Used £110 this month so far and that's because I'm using around £5 a day, and just two on, the bedroom and living room even with ECO7! It's fine during the day, but at night the temps stone dive. If I turn them off to save money, I'm sitting eating dinner or using the computer blowing out breath like I'm standing outside. :(

Looking at my app about 1kw/hr yesterday, hardly notice it pulling power on my IHD

Its incredible how efficient they are, even down to very low outside temperatures.

I've never really bothered running mine much for heating due to the difference in unit cost (gas vs electricity). But given the heat pump efficiency factor i bet both a gas boiler and heat pump are basically identical in running cost.

Last edited:
Using my aircon to heat my living room, unbelievable how much heat the thing pumps out when it's 2oC outside. Kinda blows my mind
Been looking at one of those portable ac units with heat pump to heat a workshop but not sure how well they do in very cold rooms, needs better insulation really but that won't be happening this year.

Last edited:
Its incredible how efficient they are, even down to very low outside temperatures.

I've never really bothered running mine much for heating due to the difference in unit cost (gas vs electricity). But given the heat pump efficiency factor i bet both a gas boiler and heat pump are basically identical in running cost.

Although cold snaps are usually short lived, their shortcomings become more apparent when the weather dips below 0c as they need to use a separate heating element to keep them frost-free.

Some parts of the UK are forecast -6c next week and a heat pump would struggle to stay efficient with that

My mums flat had storage heater. They just couldn’t output the heating required. Flat was constantly cold.

Swapped out to convection heaters. Much better. Only need it on when required and works out about the same cost as the flat is well insulated. But the higher output means when the demand is required ie at night time, the rooms can be heated up properly.

Back
Top Bottom