Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

We'll make your electricity free at TN25 * between 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM on the 30/11/23. Get ready to Power up!​
can't tell maybe you are cynical about that -
but, how (battery excepted) can you practically utilise it, would neither wash&dry a load of washing, nor cook much

----------------

National grid can now have in day notification for saving sessions, be prepared
Procurement• Added within-day dispatch options, as analternative to day ahead (14:30 DA, 09:00 ID &12:00 ID), bringing DFS closer to real-time dispatch

Well, currently giving my 1st energy saving session a go.

Everything switched off, apart from 1 lamp in the lounge, fridge/freezer, freezer in the garage and my router/switch/ONT/CCTV.

Smart meter says I'm currently using 117W.

e: just switched off the fridge/freezer and usage gone down to 45W
Yikes. Surely switching the fridge freezer off is not a good idea, even if just for 90 mins?

can't tell maybe you are cynical about that -

Not sure what that means but here you go..

Get ready to POWER UP

We'll make your electricity free at TN25 between 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM on the 30/11/23. Get ready to Power up!

What do I need to do during a Power-up?

During the Power-up, there’ll be plenty of green electrons in your local wires. We want you to make the most of that lovely sun and wind power while it’s abundant.
Plan to use as much electricity as you need during that time: it’s a perfect time to do the hoovering, run the dishwasher or washing machine, run your heat pump or immersion heater, charge up, make dinner, you name it. It’s your responsibility to use electricity safely at home.

How will I get my free electricity?

We’ll use your smart meter readings to work out how much electricity you used during each Power-up. Every few weeks, we’ll credit your account to cover the cost of the electricity you used in Power-ups. Your actual bills and charges will all come out as normal.

On Prepay?
Make sure you've topped up enough so you don't run out of credit during a Power-up. (We'll credit you the value of your free electricity within 2 weeks of each Power-ups.)

How will I know how I did?
We’ll email you every few weeks to let you know how much money you’ve saved thanks to the free electricity – and how much local green power you’ve all collectively used up – in Power-ups!

UPDATE :

This is what you get AFTER the power ups.

Hi

During the Power Ups on 02/11/2023, 10/11/2023, 27/10/2023 you’ve used 54% more electricity than usual. We’ll credit you a total of £2.92 for all of the electricity you used during this time.

As a collective Power-ups customers have used a total of 617MWh spare green electricity, stopping it going to waste and keeping the grid in balance.

Smashing job, well done everyone!

Last edited:
We've been on the Octopus agile since the summer and we don't really load shift either, both at home most the day so not much we can do about that. As of the most recent bill 15th Oct - 15th Nov, our average electricity unit was 23.7p kWh. Obviously under the 29.76p kWh 12 month fixed rate, but we used to be in the teens and each month it's getting slightly more. Last month had some nasty peaks for a while, but we still averaged 23.7p, so it worked out in the end. This month has been pretty eye watering though.

I'm undecided on what to do for the future, considering the cost cap increasing in January. Is winter more expensive than other months for electricity all the time or this unusual? Had we have been on the fixed tariff last month, we'd have paid an extra £25.80 for electricity. I'm happy to weather out a worse winter if it'll get cheaper again because obviously the fixed tariff is 12 months.

I'd welcome people's thoughts, advice or what have you on the matter.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if I leave octopus tracker to another provide, do I incur the 90day wait?

Why would you leave tracker for another provider?

We've been on the Octopus agile since the summer and we don't really load shift either, both at home most the day so not much we can do about that. As of the most recent bill 15th Oct - 15th Nov, our average electricity unit was 23.7p kWh. Obviously under the 29.76p kWh 12 month fixed rate, but we used to be in the teens and each month it's getting slightly more. Last month had some nasty peaks for a while, but we still averaged 23.7p, so it worked out in the end. This month has been pretty eye watering though.

Tracker is probably good if you can't load shift that much.

Winter in general would be more expensive as less solar to go around, and less spare gas to use for making electric vs people needing it for gas boilers.

Winter in general would be more expensive as less solar to go around, and less spare gas to use for making electric vs people needing it for gas boilers.
Tracker tariff doesnt offer load shift. That’s agile.

I am looking at OVO’s charge anytime option with 7p/kwh EV charging. That will work out average cheaper for me than the current tracker rate but tracker seems to be going up and up so OVO’s charge anytime would be good for me till January and when tracker come back down again.

I hadn't considered that. We'd have saved money last month if we were on tracker. Thanks for the food for thought!

Tracker tariff doesnt offer load shift. That’s agile.

I am looking at OVO’s charge anytime option with 7p/kwh EV charging. That will work out average cheaper for me than the current tracker rate but tracker seems to be going up and up so OVO’s charge anytime would be good for me till January and when tracker come back down again.

Yes that's why I said if you can't load shift, use tracker, one averaged rate that means you don't need to worry about what time of day you use it at, the rate is fixed for that day.

OVO one presumably decent but can't get onto Go or Intelligent Go? they offer cheaper overnight rates and alright daytime ones, only a little higher than SVR.

Last edited:
Yes that's why I said if you can't load ****, use tracker, one averaged rate that means you don't need to worry about what time of day you use it at, the rate is fixed for that day.

OVO one presumably decent but can't get onto Go or Intelligent Go? they offer cheaper overnight rates and alright daytime ones, only a little higher than SVR.
Misread can’t.

Go and intelligent go isn’t as cheap as OVO charge anytime. 9/32 vs 7/29 in my area. Also OVO is charge anytime ie I don’t have to worry about when I need to charge. I can plug it in during the day if needed to. The only faff I guess is to remember to use the OVO app to activate the charge anytime.

Last edited:
Misread can’t.

Go and intelligent go isn’t as cheap as OVO charge anytime. 9/32 vs 7/29 in my area. Also OVO is charge anytime ie I don’t have to worry about when I need to charge. I can plug it in during the day if needed to. The only faff I guess is to remember to use the OVO app to activate the charge anytime.

As I understand it, and perhaps correct me if wrong, but the OVO one only has cheap elec for the car itself.

With Go/Intelligent it's cheap rate for all usage not just the car.

If you can get onto Intelligent then you get 7.5/30ish I think, 7.5 is for 6 hours, worth checking.

Cold air under the door into the living room from the hallway, which I need to sort this weekend.

2.jpg

Large gap around the side of the doors both the bedroom and living room, almost as if the doors are slightly too small. Ordered some rubber strips for this weekend

To an update to this ( sorting the drafts out over the weekend, so far the lower door blocker has helped )

Electricity
28 OCT 2023 - 27 NOV 2023⚡412.68 kWh
We charged your account £117.80
£379.73

Ouch... But I'll get that lower, and also £5.49 of that was credited to the account during POWER UPS ( Use as much as I want ONLY during those times for free electric/credited to account hence the KwH being high too )

As I understand it, and perhaps correct me if wrong, but the OVO one only has cheap elec for the car itself.

With Go/Intelligent it's cheap rate for all usage not just the car.

If you can get onto Intelligent then you get 7.5/30ish I think, 7.5 is for 6 hours, worth checking.
Mid night to 5am is very very tiny usage. No chance of offsetting. The best you can do is a dish washer on timer. Even washing machine is dodgy to offset cos they use so little water these days - clothes are hardly washed if you don’t add additional water. Unless you do small washes then it is wasting energy again.

If you had electric heaters that would cool in colder months but still pointless as you be wrapped in duvet.

Really good for people with battery storage but saving £1 a day for a system install that costs £££££ it’s non-sense atm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom