Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Ah that sucks. Air to air is a game changer for properties like yours, shame the government don’t recognise it and includes it within their grant schemes.

It’s worth the conversation IMO.
Wasnt you against these schemes, or just the rental one's?

There is one being advertised in my area, 90% of what they offering is home owners only, renters can get a free boiler if they dont have one, whilst owners on the scheme can get all of the following.

Loft insulation.
Wall insulation.
Upgrade of existing boiler.
Heat pumps.

In addition home owners isnt means tested, rental scheme is means tested. There seems to be have been some ideological instruction to prioritise live in home owners.

Councils also doing their own upgrade program's, private renters do seem left out in the cold, and in this case the phrase actually means what it says about the cold.

Last edited:
My mums flat had storage heater. They just couldn’t output the heating required. Flat was constantly cold.

Swapped out to convection heaters. Much better. Only need it on when required and works out about the same cost as the flat is well insulated. But the higher output means when the demand is required ie at night time, the rooms can be heated up properly.
I lived in a flat before with storage heaters, they may as well never had existed, and the thing as well, that flat also had reasonable insulation, PVC double glazed, and even then they were barely useful.

Although cold snaps are usually short lived, their shortcomings become more apparent when the weather dips below 0c as they need to use a separate heating element to keep them frost-free.

Some parts of the UK are forecast -6c next week and a heat pump would struggle to stay efficient with that
Can see another £16 day heating session for me. If the forecast is correct, it will probably only get my flat up to low teens as well, just is too much heat leakage in the property.

Been looking at one of those portable ac units with heat pump to heat a workshop but not sure how well they do in very cold rooms, needs better insulation really but that won't be happening this year.
Portable AC has terrible efficiency compared to a proper split system.

Although cold snaps are usually short lived, their shortcomings become more apparent when the weather dips below 0c as they need to use a separate heating element to keep them frost-free.

Some parts of the UK are forecast -6c next week and a heat pump would struggle to stay efficient with that

That’s not really a thing on modern units using modern refrigerants.

Sure you’ll probably not get a COP of 4 out of it when it’s the coldest we see here but that’s why things are measured by SCOP (seasonal). You should get 4 over the course of the heating period.

Wasnt you against these schemes, or just the rental one's?

No, absolutely not. I’m not sure I entirely agree the government support is being funnelled into the right places mind. As you say, it’s mostly going to people who don’t need it as much. I’m absolutely taking them up on their £7.5k grant, I’d be a fool not to.

I’m all for requiring landlords to meet energy efficiency standard on properties they rent. The government shouldn’t be subsidising that though unless it’s a publicly owned property. A privately owned rental property is a business at the end of the day and they should be investing some of that profit back into the property. It’s an utterly travesty that the housing bill got watered down to exclude this requirement from landlords.

No, absolutely not. I’m not sure I entirely agree the government support is being funnelled into the right places mind. As you say, it’s mostly going to people who don’t need it as much. I’m absolutely taking them up on their £7.5k grant, I’d be a fool not to.

I’m all for requiring landlords to meet energy efficiency standard on properties they rent. The government shouldn’t be subsidising that though unless it’s a publicly owned property. A privately owned rental property is a business at the end of the day and they should be investing some of that profit back into the property. It’s an utterly travesty that the housing bill got watered down to exclude this requirement from landlords.

Your answer still has me confused, Obviously I understand why you will take up the offer you have.

The watering down whilst unfortunate, I think in practice probably doesnt mean a lot, there is already an existing requirement for properties to meet an E grade and isnt current enforced. Logically if thats not enforced they were never going to enforce the C grade either, and even if landlords complied they not going to do it without passing on the cost, so with no grants tenants live in the cold and high rents, or have better living conditions with extremely high rents, there is no fairy tale outcome of landlords insulating their properties and absorbing all the costs themselves, as there is no rent controls.

So the net result of these schemes is an increase in inequality. It is also the case home owners have an asset that the government is increasing in value, and to me thats the same argument as what you making about private letting as a business, a business is an asset the same as a house is an asset. It is good you acknowledge though that the difference in means testing requirements has the help funnelled to those who need it less.

Then there is the practical point of view, one would assume if you provide grants for everyone, and especially target those with lowest disposable incomes, then the load on the NHS is reduced in winter months, and we also make a step in tackling the problem of rising long term sickness in this country.

Sadly it seems we stuck with people should be striving to own a home and renting as such is only a step on the ladder to get there (or not at all with supportive parents).

Last edited:
Anyone know what the wait period is for octopus tracker if you switch over to them?

Need to charge my car, I am thinking I go over to OVO for their standard variable and their anytime 7p charging (which will work out my average electricity to be 14p/unit) till Jan rise then go back to Octopus for tracker.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the wait period is for octopus tracker if you switch over to them?

Need to charge my car, I am thinking I go over to OVO for their standard variable and their anytime 7p charging (which will work out my average electricity to be 14p/unit) till Jan rise then go back to Octopus for tracker.
I think if you ask on twitter probably less then a day if a week day. Just remember with Octopus their twitter support is the way to go.

Last edited:

Its practically instant (like within 48 hours) if there is no queuing going on.

Been looking at one of those portable ac units with heat pump to heat a workshop but not sure how well they do in very cold rooms, needs better insulation really but that won't be happening this year.

Tricky. With the portable units you will inevitably be drawing in external air from somewhere to replace the air expelled outside through the duct. It will work to give you a bubble of warm air at the expense of it being colder somewhere else in the workshop. The way the portable AC works is to take internal air, add thermal energy to it (cooling mode) or extract energy (heating mode), then that same air is expelled carrying away the warmed or cooled air outside.

What you want is a split system which will require installation. Or if you can find one a portable with 2 ducts if there are any still sold. Other option could be a single window unit as is common in other countries.
But if you are okay with spot heating a corner of the workshop with the rest of the space being cooled it could sort of work.

Cold air under the door into the living room from the hallway, which I need to sort this weekend.

2.jpg

Large gap around the side of the doors both the bedroom and living room, almost as if the doors are slightly too small. Ordered some rubber strips for this weekend

image.jpg

Mine was switched within a couple of hours.

Oh finally, I thought they stopped doing it for Winter but..

We'll make your electricity free at TN25 * between 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM on the 30/11/23. Get ready to Power up!

You're in! Get ready to Power up.
Plan to use as much electricity as you like at that time to make the most of green power in your area.

Tricky. With the portable units you will inevitably be drawing in external air from somewhere to replace the air expelled outside through the duct. It will work to give you a bubble of warm air at the expense of it being colder somewhere else in the workshop. The way the portable AC works is to take internal air, add thermal energy to it (cooling mode) or extract energy (heating mode), then that same air is expelled carrying away the warmed or cooled air outside.

What you want is a split system which will require installation. Or if you can find one a portable with 2 ducts if there are any still sold. Other option could be a single window unit as is common in other countries.
But if you are okay with spot heating a corner of the workshop with the rest of the space being cooled it could sort of work.

I was thinking more along the lines of can I get more heat for my money vs the standard 2.5kw convection heater that is being used at the moment. The workshop / shed has terrible insulation so whatever you heat it with is lost so its just about creating a bit of heat while working in there. The portable units claim to use 1kw while putting out nearly 3kw in heat so that could save a bit of money, then I can take it inside the house in the summer to use as AC.

Will probably buy a portable ac anyway so having the heatpump function for an extra £50 would be fine if it will work in 0 - 5c temps. I doubt they are an instant heat like a fan heater though, I got rid of an electric oil radiator as by the time it got hot I had finished the job :cry:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well, currently giving my 1st energy saving session a go.

Everything switched off, apart from 1 lamp in the lounge, fridge/freezer, freezer in the garage and my router/switch/ONT/CCTV.

Smart meter says I'm currently using 117W.

e: just switched off the fridge/freezer and usage gone down to 45W.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom