Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

The rich get richer while those who are already using very little get nothing.
Yea that's life.

what do you want? a society where the highesy wage is say 50x minimum wage? pegged at a minimum wage ratio so if the rich want more the poor also have to get some.

THAT SOUNDS A LOT LIKE COMMUNISM THERE BUDDY!!!! or so my billionaire friends tell me...

In Russia they probably would say Capitalism is a lot like Communism, the majority do all the work, have very little and the few live like kings

Communism probably had better services and communities than we do so maybe it wasn't all bad

Last edited:
Is it worth while getting batteries without solar panels?
Probably not as the difference between low energy costs and high energy costs would be negligible if not negative when you take into account initial costs, maintenance and future replacement after cycles complete.

You’d probably be better investing in better insulation, more efficient electronics or new windows and doors.

Is it worth while getting batteries without solar panels?

Better to take the conversation into the thread in home and garden

Certainly batteries are viable without solar (most of us with solar the panels are doing naff all right now anyways)
But there are pros and cons of batteries without panels

My house battery was... £2200 iirc.

if the fact I have a battery means I am rich I guess that means all smokers who smoke 10cigs a day are rich then, as over the course of a year that will cost at least as much as my battery ;)

i am not 100% serious, as it happens I am quite fortunate financially now.... but I know a lot of people who I genuinely wonder how on earth they can afford to go to the pub as often as they do and smoke ...... to me that is a far more expensive hobby than my (slight) renewable energy obsession.

But you do really need 1000s of spare cash for a solar + battery setup that's worth while. I do think that is only available to the better off members of society.

Many many people would. Say having 2k is well off. It's not just having 2k either. It's having it spare.

If I had a battery I'd only take part in these saving sessions if I could automate it. No way would I be faffing around changing my routine etc for a few pence/pounds.
Checking up when they are on etc.

Last edited:
But you do really need 1000s of spare cash for a solar + battery setup that's worth while. I do think that is only available to the better off members of society.

Many many people would. Say having 2k is well off. It's not just having 2k either. It's having it spare.

If I had a battery I'd only take part in these saving sessions if I could automate it. No way would I be faffing around changing my routine etc for a few pence/pounds.
Checking up when they are on etc.
2k well off? Lol

As for Saving Sessions with batteries, it's literally 5 seconds on the app. Easy money. Actually it's far easier to just export with batteries than to change your daily habits of power use at 5pm to save 50p.

2k well off? Lol

As for Saving Sessions with batteries, it's literally 5 seconds on the app. Easy money. Actually it's far easier to just export with batteries than to change your daily habits of power use at 5pm to save 50p.

I'd say so.

Apparently half the population have less than 1k in savings

I'd say so.

Apparently half the population have less than 1k in savings
Yep. For a lot of people solar or batteries would be a pipe dream.
''According to the Building Society Association (BSA), the average person in the UK has £17,365 in their savings with 61% of UK adults saving money either every, or most, months. However, not everyone is saving at that level, with 34% of adults in the UK having either no savings, or less than £1,000 in their savings. The BoE investigation revealed that one in seven people have nothing in their savings at all...''

Last edited:
Yep. For a lot of people solar or batteries would be a pipe dream.
''According to the Building Society Association (BSA), the average person in the UK has £17,365 in their savings with 61% of UK adults saving money either every, or most, months. However, not everyone is saving at that level, with 34% of adults in the UK having either no savings, or less than £1,000 in their savings. The BoE investigation revealed that one in seven people have nothing in their savings at all...''
Doesn't mean everyone with solar or batteries is rich. Anyway the OCUK definition of rich seems to be having something somebody else doesn't regardless of what it is.

Nationwide offer a 0% interest solar mortgage, 2 or 5 year term.
One of the others (Scottish I think) offer a 3 year interest free loan on their installs.
They are just two I know of.

Now your unlikely to have achieved payback within that period. But your probably in the 40-50% region. (5 year Nationwide however you could be getting quite close, like into the 75% payback type range)

You don't need to spend £10,000+ either

Batteries on their own are a valid install. Eg moving onto Octopus agile with say 3kwh for most would mean they can avoid the expensive spike around dinner time (5-7pm) and take advantage of the cheaper pricing for most of the day.
There is a risk with battery only, you need a cheap TOU tariff to generate the payback, but I think you will see an expansion of these, not a reduction.

If your in an Octopus power up area you can literally charge the batteries for free when they have a session. Since they launched the scheme (mid August) I have had 32 sessions in just over 4 months. So around 25% of the days you can get free electric you can store in batteries for usage later.
Some days I get a power up and then a saving session. I am given free leccy that i can then sell back just afterwards and receive £2.25 a kwh for doing so. Its basically free money!

Anyway, yet again, better to take this to the thread in home and garden and plenty of people who have systems can advise there, rather than the GD people many of whom have no solar, giving "advice"

ofgen is granting licenses to increase battery storage on national grid which will provide cheaper commercial solution than home batteries - capitalism
in conjunction with reducing wasted windpower which was in the news again a couple of weeks back V
good economic entry point for many consumers will be ev vehicle to grid eg. vw id4 plus a bi-directional 'charger'.

in the meantime the smart money (don't buy a vw) - buy some tesla shares with the 2K.

read the carbon reports - power ups
Overall, from January 2021 to April 2023, £1.5 billion has been spent to curtail more than 6.5 TWh of wind power resulting in 2.5 million tonnes of emissions. In 2022, 4% of GB wind generation was wasted due to wind congestion – 3.4TWh – equivalent to the yearly consumption of 1 million British households. With gas price volatility at a record high following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, gas-fired plants were paid nearly £600 million to compensate for curtailed wind power, increasing UK emissions by 1.3 million.

Screenshot-2023-06-14-at-12.27.51-768x243.png

A new report from the trade body reveals the UK's battery storage pipeline - including projects that are operational, under construction, consented or being planned - now stands at 84.8GW of capacity, having increased by over 50GW - or nearly 69 per cent - over the past year ago.
Operational battery storage capacity has grown to 3.5GW, helping to provide grid balancing services as growing levels of intermittent renewables capacity has come online. A further 3.8GW storage capacity is currently in the construction phase, the figures confirm.

in the meantime the smart money (don't buy a vw) - buy some tesla shares with the 2K.
do you think so? I am not qualified to say you are wong and I am no Tesla hater, but it seems to be other car manufacturers are (finally) catching up with the range and effiency of Tesla.

at the same time whilst Tesla build.quality is improving , I still think they are not quite on the level with some of the other car makers.
add to that the area where Tesla undoubtedly stand out.... their charging infrastructure , they are in the process of rolling out to everyone.
which from a "improving EV infrastructure" is fantastic but it does somewhat reduce the power of Tesla's.greatest trump card
in the UK and Australia Tesla have pulled their 2 top tier cars from sale.

from what I have seen their cyber truck appears to have some issues regarding it's off road ability and safety for pedestrians so once the fanbois all have theirs it will be interesting to see how it sells

I think if I had 2-10k burning a hole in my pocket I feel it would be safer in a solar or battery system (depending exactly how much cash I had) than in Tesla shares tbh.

but then I do admit I could be wrong, and the fact that Musk is a grade A bell end may also cloud my judgement

If I was buying an electric car.. I would absolutely not buy a tesla. I genuinely think they look really dull.

I also think tesla has had its huge growth phase.

Sure could be more Pioneering stuff. But not sure enough to buy tesla shares

Last edited:
Yeah. Not a fan of the exterior of Tesla cars. I like the tech inside though.

I recall reading Elon Musk getting annoyed that Bill Gates got an Porche Taycan instead of a Tesla a few years ago. Said something like no accounting for taste. But Bill is right. The Taycan is better imo :D

Back
Top Bottom