Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

It's worth opting in even if you don't do anything particularly differently. It's free money.
Absolutely this. We did nothing different - PCs, servers etc. aren't going to be turned off, and it's usually peak dinner time, so the family isn't going to change that - and we still managed to 'earn' 50p. Not going to change my costs, which are probably around £4-5/day for electric, but it's 50p less for 'getting lucky'.

What are the options now?
I haven't paid much attention to this of late due to fixes.
But I remember there being a wait to go on variable/tracker types with octopus.

We are relatively high users for just 2 people. So going to the price cap would be unpleasant.

I've also read that the best trackers are no longer as good for new customers.

Its even of interest as it looks like tracker prices have been below my price fix for a while too.

Current fix until September 2024
No exit fees
Scottish power
E: 21p unit 23p standing
G: 5.1p unit 25p standing

Do I need to start the ball. Rolling early (ie waiting lists)
Or is it no longer competitive for new customers? (ie just stick with my fix)

Use a lot 8-10MWh a day on electric.
Gas? Without a smart meter it's hard to know. But bumps bill. Up by about 70 pounds in winter vs summer.
100 units used in November

Last edited:
Nice fix... As a comparison, my fix (till Aug 2024) is:

E: 29p unit 56p standing
G: 7p unit 23p standing

Your Total SC for both Gas and Elec is quite a bit less than my elec SC by itself :o

Yeah I've had it since 2021 so it's done me well. Particularly that standing charge.

We chew through a lot of electricity. So it's important as house bills go. Last bill was 150.

On the price cap. It would be a lot more!

Nice fix... As a comparison, my fix (till Aug 2024) is:

E: 29p unit 56p standing
G: 7p unit 23p standing

Your Total SC for both Gas and Elec is quite a bit less than my elec SC by itself :o

Bloody hell. I am on Octopus Tracker and get 37p SC for electricity and 27p for gas.

Today's rate for me is 12.2p for electric and 3.98p for gas. Thus far tracker even when expensive is cheaper than your rates.

Bloody hell. I am on Octopus Tracker and get 37p SC for electricity and 27p for gas.

Today's rate for me is 12.2p for electric and 3.98p for gas. Thus far tracker even when expensive is cheaper than your rates.

Yeah I fixed a few months back when there was a long queue for joining Octopus and they have exit fees. Given I use very little energy (4,500kWh Gas and 1,400kWh Elec per year), its not worth me switching just now.. Also, the SC for Octopus in my area appears to be higher than what I am paying now so no saving on this.

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom