Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Hi Neil - We'll make your electricity free at TN25 ** between 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM on the 23/12/23. Get ready to Power up! Octopus : [Power-ups: Opt in to Power up for free at 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM, 23/12/23]

4 HOURS of free electric, wow :eek: Think I'll put the heating on high and have dinner early!

Last edited:
The rewards from the saving sessions are really not worth it for me. Do people game the system to get more?

It favours people who use a lot of electric or have batteries.. While those who are already scrimping and trying to get by are screwed :mad:

Michelle Middleton the big earners are battery owners who can feed back to the grid

Case and point this is one such user in the leccy group

412881181-10229730228738040-4064240744984923761-n.jpg

Last edited:
I must be doing it wrong.... I have a battery and already make sure we use no grid between 4pm and 7pm. given you can't use less than zero I haven't made anything in it. I don't mind however octopus have done done me well.

I wouldnt class everyone with a battery as rich. But for low users yes you won't earn much but then it's not aimed at you I.e you aren't the problem.

I dunno. You've got to have a decent amount of excess cash to make use of this via a battery.

But I accept this isn't designed to help the poor. But to balance the grid/efficiency

Last edited:
I dunno. You've got to have a decent amount of excess cash to make use of this via a battery.

But I accept this isn't designed to help the poor. But to balance the grid/efficiency
People just throw around 'rich' without any context. With your disposable income you are very rich on this scale :cry:

Last edited:
Didn't say I wasn't! (don't feel It)
Still. It does benefit those with more.

Yay.. Capitalism!
Personally I think currently is barely worth doing for normal users, not worth the hassle to save 50p or whatever so I think they will have to tinker with the formula to get more people involved. Just find it hilarious if someone has something like a a battery they are considered rich. Nothing like a have/have not divide to stir the pot ey.

Last edited:
My house battery was... £2200 iirc.

if the fact I have a battery means I am rich I guess that means all smokers who smoke 10cigs a day are rich then, as over the course of a year that will cost at least as much as my battery ;)

i am not 100% serious, as it happens I am quite fortunate financially now.... but I know a lot of people who I genuinely wonder how on earth they can afford to go to the pub as often as they do and smoke ...... to me that is a far more expensive hobby than my (slight) renewable energy obsession.

The savings sessions are aimed at huge number of people who come home from work at 5pm, turn on every electrical appliance they own because they don’t know any better.

In reality it’s these people who push up the electricity cost for everyone because they have to design the grid and generation around the spike.

The purpose of paying that amount is it’s less than paying to fire up emergency diesel and gas peaker plants/generators to cover that spike for an hour. It’s that simple really.

We run all our big appliances (washing machine, dishwasher etc) overnight now we are on a time of use tariff. About 45% of our energy consumption is at 7.5p (mostly the electric car).

Time of use tariffs are a game changer when it comes to driving better behaviour and being able to support more renewables on the grid (to incentivise people to use power than it’s cheap and not when it’s expensive).

Why do you think they want smart meters in every home to enable it.

The savings sessions are aimed at huge number of people who come home from work at 5pm, turn on every electrical appliance they own because they don’t know any better.

In reality it’s these people who push up the electricity cost for everyone because they have to design the grid and generation around the spike.

The purpose of paying that amount is it’s less than paying to fire up emergency diesel and gas peaker plants/generators to cover that spike for an hour. It’s that simple really.

We run all our big appliances (washing machine, dishwasher etc) overnight now we are on a time of use tariff. About 45% of our energy consumption is at 7.5p (mostly the electric car).

Time of use tariffs are a game changer when it comes to driving better behaviour and being able to support more renewables on the grid (to incentivise people to use power than it’s cheap and not when it’s expensive).

Why do you think they want smart meters in every home to enable it.

Its this, exactly this.

It won't stop the broke brains claiming stuff like the rich getting rich off it.

The faster we get everyone on TOU the better IMO.

I was helping my mum with the saving sessions this week and I got a short glimpse of her electric bill, she's paying £236 a month and -£326 in debt... I keep offering to help, but she gets annoyed and wont accept anything from me :(. She lives with my sisters in a three bedroom bungalow

( I don't live with my parents )

Back
Top Bottom