Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I moved onto agile recently, when I was on ECO7 my average unit rate was 18p, it was 5p for the first 10 days I was on Agile.

Main benefit for Agile for me is there is usually a cheaper point in the day before 4pm so I can recharge the batteries during the day and not just at night now which should see my unit rate price go below the 18p I was getting on ECO7. Another benefit is if it goes below 7p then I heat the hot water using the electric instead of the gas as didn't go on gas tracker which wasn't the best idea looking at the recent pricing but didn't want to risk it.

Octopus Tracker has been by far the best option for me since switching to it last winter. Have saved a fortune by doing so.
Same here. It's been beating the standard rate for a while as long as nothing destabilises the energy market. I've saved about £300 so far, however the prices are still higher than what they were before the energy crisis which still sucks.

Same here. It's been beating the standard rate for a while as long as nothing destabilises the energy market. I've saved about £300 so far, however the prices are still higher than what they were before the energy crisis which still sucks.
Yes paying more that we used to but out of whats available I think anyone would struggle to beat it (standard usage).

It's at least made me realise all these years I've been fixing rates and potentially the variable tariff would have been averaged out to be cheaper given that it doesn't matter how much you fix, when the prices go crazy you'll also take the hit when the fix ends or if your supplier goes bust (as happened just before the price increases).

Also has delayed needing to get a house battery to reduce the price even further. Although that is more for the Agile Octopus tariff (half hourly rates) to shift usage to off peak.

Contemplating a switch to tracker.

Our costs/usage are moderately low (3500kWh electricity/5000kWh gas) but being able to bring those down would definitely be useful!

Is it sensible to switch now, or to wait until the winter is over? Or does it not really matter and the rates stay fairly stable?

Contemplating a switch to tracker.

Our costs/usage are moderately low (3500kWh electricity/5000kWh gas) but being able to bring those down would definitely be useful!

Is it sensible to switch now, or to wait until the winter is over? Or does it not really matter and the rates stay fairly stable?

Check https://gastracker.uk (there are other sites but this one is my fave as it's easy on mobile and the interface isn't cluttered), and choose to see over the last 365 (or longer) historical rates. It'll show the average price of tracker over that period and you could calculate what you'd have saved had you been on it.

Since Jan last year, I've found the price is always around 1/3rd cheaper and that's reflected in our monthly bill (from £180 down to £120). There are times when it's spiked really high but for a few days (and only on electricity I think) but the price for the majority of the days have been below the price cap.

In fact if you turn on the SVT button (the price cap rate) you'll see the tracker rate is mostly under the SVT line, and the gap or the area between them is the actual savings per unit of energy.

Check https://gastracker.uk (there are other sites but this one is my fave as it's easy on mobile and the interface isn't cluttered), and choose to see over the last 365 (or longer) historical rates. It'll show the average price of tracker over that period and you could calculate what you'd have saved had you been on it.

Since Jan last year, I've found the price is always around 1/3rd cheaper and that's reflected in our monthly bill (from £180 down to £120). There are times when it's spiked really high but for a few days (and only on electricity I think) but the price for the majority of the days have been below the price cap.

In fact if you turn on the SVT button (the price cap rate) you'll see the tracker rate is mostly under the SVT line, and the gap or the area between them is the actual savings per unit of energy.

Thanks for the link!

Looks like we could well save £30-40 a month by switching, so have clicked the button (and saved the shiny link) :)

Thanks for the link!

Looks like we could well save £30-40 a month by switching, so have clicked the button (and saved the shiny link) :)
You won't regret it. Just keep an eye out on the energy market and if it's forecast to rise or be affected by things such as wars then you can always switch to a price cap tariff within 2 weeks, but it means you can't go back to tracker for another 9 months. You'll see it all in the T&C but like I and most others have experienced, the prices have been coming down.

Either way whichever tariff you should be in good hands with Octopus, best customer service I've experienced.

You won't regret it. Just keep an eye out on the energy market and if it's forecast to rise or be affected by things such as wars then you can always switch to a price cap tariff within 2 weeks, but it means you can't go back to tracker for another 9 months. You'll see it all in the T&C but like I and most others have experienced, the prices have been coming down.

Either way whichever tariff you should be in good hands with Octopus, best customer service I've experienced.

Oh definitely agree, with we've been with Octopus since 2017 and have found them to be brilliant :)

Stuck with Eon currently and when i look to switch no other providers are available.

We are paying £261 a month for both gas and electricity and for Oct, Nov & Dec our useage was near £300 a month (Old potterton boiler with a wife who works from home plus two elderley cats who need to be kept warm)

Stuck with Eon currently and when i look to switch no other providers are available.

We are paying £261 a month for both gas and electricity and for Oct, Nov & Dec our useage was near £300 a month (Old potterton boiler with a wife who works from home plus two elderley cats who need to be kept warm)
Check your unit rates and monthly usage, it might be worth paying the fine to break out if you can switch to Octopus tracker if that's something you might want to look at. Since you're using so much per month the savings might outstrip the fines for exiting early within 2-3 months.

Well that was quick!

kpu7Rgx.png

Last edited:
Had a look and Octopus are the same rate as Eon Next sadly
Check the link I posted to check the Octopus Tracker rates in your region. It's roughly about a 1/3rd less than the current price cap. If you can survive uncertainty Octopus Tracker is a good way to save money in the current climate as energy wholesale prices are coming down.

You also need a smart meter to get it though (for electricity and gas, but I've had a family member be on it for a bit with a dumb gas meter and they still were allowed on it).

Last edited:
Well that was quick!

kpu7Rgx.png
Octopus by far have the best customer service I've seen out of suppliers
Enjoy the savings.
It baffles me why more and more don't jump ship and go to tracker, it's the cheapest tariff on the market for over a year and easy to switch out if needed (assuming just standard usage no cars)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom