Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Without derailing the thread can someone explain to me in laymans (layperson) terms why a private company going bust causes the rest of us to pay? Surely it is the share holders or investors of that company that lose out and pay the price?

People that are moved to the new companies are paying that company now so why are we paying for them going bust?

Or are we covering the loses of the people who are fixed and the prices have gone up? Surely that should come out of the profits of said company that offered fixed prices and not us?
The SC increase is to cover the lost credit balances from the customers with suppliers that went bust, this amounts to about £1.8bn.
The increase is about £6 per month on customer bills, which isn’t too much extra.

So this should be recovered after around a year, then the SC should come back down again.
I believe the £200 energy ‘loan’ provided to everyone later this year is being added to the SC for pay back, so don’t expect a decrease anytime soon.
From April 2023, and for five years after that, you will then have your bill automatically – without choice – increased by £40 a year

The SC increase is to cover the lost credit balances from the customers with suppliers that went bust, this amounts to about £1.8bn.
The increase is about £6 per month on customer bills, which isn’t too much extra.

When I got moved to octopus I had a balance from Avro that I had to pay that was separate to the new charges that I paid to octopus. Surely this gets paid back by everyone and then passed to the administrators of the company to give back to the shareholders?

laughing-laugh.gif

Could I ask what you guys spend a day on gas and electric combined on average?

We've been absolutely gobsmacked by what our smart meter shows at the end of the day. This is not something we are just dealing with today, but we've not understood the crazy prices our smart meter has been showing each evening for the last 3 or 4 years. Considering we only have a small 3 bed home and in our opinion we are such a careful household when it comes to energy usage. We only ever have the lights on in 1 room, we unplug most things we don't use, we never charge our phones through the night, we always leave the oven door open after dinner to get the heat into the house etc.

So our average daily cost for 2021 was £3.91. In the colder months through the year we only ever had our central heating turned on if the temp in the house got below 16c, but we'd only blast it for maybe an hour in the morning and only 30 or so minutes in the evening from around 8pm.

But the last 2 days or so since the increased pricing, by 9am our meter has already shown £2.71 and £2.59 for yesterday and today respectively, that's only from having thd heating on for 30 minutes and showers running on economy. Last nights gas and electric combined total on the meter was a mind shattering £5.11. At 18.30 this evening we are already £4.26 and we've only had the heating on again just once this morning for 30 minutes, 2 quick showers, just 1 TV on for a few hours, a few cups of tea and dinner we have just made. I can see tonight's total being more than £6 which is quite frankly both disgusting and scary as hell thinking how we are going to manage the increased costs. At this rate we are going to be spending £40 a week on gas and electric.

Does this seem to compare to you all? Myself and my wife are very worried about these spiralling costs. So much so my pc hasn't been turned on the whole of last week to see if that helps.

We've been absolutely gobsmacked by what our smart meter shows at the end of the day. This is not something we are just dealing with today, but we've not understood the crazy prices our smart meter has been showing each evening for the last 3 or 4 years. Considering we only have a small 3 bed home and in our opinion we are such a careful household when it comes to energy usage. We only ever have the lights on in 1 room, we unplug most things we don't use, we never charge our phones through the night, we always leave the oven door open after dinner to get the heat into the house etc.

So our average daily cost for 2021 was £3.91. In the colder months through the year we only ever had our central heating turned on if the temp in the house got below 16c, but we'd only blast it for maybe an hour in the morning and only 30 or so minutes in the evening from around 8pm.

But the last 2 days or so since the increased pricing, by 9am our meter has already shown £2.71 and £2.59 for yesterday and today respectively, that's only from having thd heating on for 30 minutes and showers running on economy. Last nights gas and electric combined total on the meter was a mind shattering £5.11. At 18.30 this evening we are already £4.26 and we've only had the heating on again just once this morning for 30 minutes, 2 quick showers, just 1 TV on for a few hours, a few cups of tea and dinner we have just made. I can see tonight's total being more than £6 which is quite frankly both disgusting and scary as hell thinking how we are going to manage the increased costs. At this rate we are going to be spending £40 a week on gas and electric.

Does this seem to compare to you all? Myself and my wife are very worried about these spiralling costs. So much so my pc hasn't been turned on the whole of last week to see if that helps.
Well for Match I spent a total of £95 combined. So £3 a day, my highest bill over the year was £120 so about £4 a day.
That's with a wife and baby at home all day, heating on 24/7 on all night in the babies room.

We use about 16 kWh of electricity daily (excluding EV charging) so 16 kWh x 31p (day rate electric kWh cost) = £4.96
Do you have electric or gas heating?

Well for Match I spent a total of £95 combined. So £3 a day, my highest bill over the year was £120 so about £4 a day.
That's with a wife and baby at home all day, heating on 24/7 on all night in the babies room.

That's incredible, heating on 24/7???:eek: and only paying that? We feel we can't afford to put our heating on for even an hour due to the fear of rocketing energy usage and costs. We end up having to bundle up in blankets and onesies as much as we can and we have a 10 week old baby girl. We are really concerned right now.

That's incredible, heating on 24/7???:eek: and only paying that? We feel we can't afford to put our heating on for even an hour due to the fear of rocketing energy usage and costs. We end up having to bundle up in blankets and onesies as much as we can and we have a 10 week old baby girl. We are really concerned right now.
Living room for instance is 19c between 6am and 8pm.
Babies room is 18c from 7pm to 7am.
Toddlers room is 17c overnight.
Dining room is 17c all day, all rooms set to 15c off temp.

We use about 16 kWh of electricity daily (excluding EV charging) so 16 kWh x 31p (day rate electric kWh cost) = £4.96
Do you have electric or gas heating?

We have a gas boiler.

Yesterday we used 7.95 kwh of electric, 25.04 kwh of gas.

So far today we have used 7.68 kwh of electric and 21.03 kwh of gas.

Last week we used 184 kwh combined. So far this week we've used 146 kwh combined.

Monthly cost is useless without knowing your electricity and gas rates,- what are they? Are you still on a cheap fix deal from last year?

@SDK^

How would I check the smart meter cost is correct? Can you explain about it not being set up right? It's an OVO smart meter, we've had it for maybe 3 years, I've never messed with it, just looked at it. I didn't know you can alter anything on it.

Just look at it, it's flipping ridiculous, burning way past budget and only half way through the evening. We've been out for 4 hours today as well.

1KLbd5D.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe the £200 energy ‘loan’ provided to everyone later this year is being added to the SC for pay back, so don’t expect a decrease anytime soon.
From April 2023, and for five years after that, you will then have your bill automatically – without choice – increased by £40 a year
BNPL fuel, thanks Rishi.

Back
Top Bottom