Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Didn't they give everyone like 2.5k a month or something for ages
To be fair they did bring themselves to intervene significantly with the furlough scheme, although that was a last resort taken only when they basically had no choice. Only high earners got £2.5k though, and a maximum of around 30% of jobs were on furlough during the first lockdown, or around 13% of the population so not quite everyone.... They also excluded millions of people from support rather arbitrarily.

Anyone on a smart meter know how much it's costing to run their gaming rig per day?

I have one of those plug in energy monitors, running my router / switch /pi4 / 3600X / 16Gb 3200 / 5700XT / 2 X SSD / 27" 144hz monitor, it uses :

• PC Off - 20W-25W
  • Idle (Browsing etc.) - 100W - 110W
  • Light gaming - 250W
  • Heavy gaming - 400W
Could be anywhere from around £0.20 per day (for just the router/pihole) to £1.50 depending on length of time, usage etc.

In the last 3 days I've used 4.78kWh so around £1.34.

I have one of those plug in energy monitors, running my router / switch /pi4 / 3600X / 16Gb 3200 / 5700XT / 2 X SSD / 27" 144hz monitor, it uses :

• PC Off - 20W-25W
  • Light gaming - 250W
  • Heavy gaming - 400W
Could be anywhere from around £0.20 per day (for just the router/pihole) to £1.50 depending on length of time, usage etc.

install msi after burner and set the gpu to 54% power limit and in your graphics card control panel set to maximum power saving.
you probably won't even notice the difference in most games but your GPU will run much cooler so obviously uses a lot less power

• PC Off - 20W-25W
  • Light gaming - 250W
  • Heavy gaming - 400W

Pc off 25W? Are you sure?

Edit. Not just pc on the plug.

It's the standing charge I can't deal with, I'll pay for whatever I use but to pay when I don't even have anything switched on is such a con.

All the costs have to be covered somehow. The standing charge shares the burden equally between everyone. They could lump those costs onto the price/kWh which would redistribute the costs

Whether or not you're using gas and electricity at any particular moment it's always available when you need it.

So ive been away on holiday and then away on business, so ive only just got to grips with this hike. Octopus want to take my dd upto a staggering £690, i was paying £275 before avro went bust. Whilst I was paying a daft amount in the 1st place, primarily due to gas usage, chagring a PHEV and having kids. I do feel octopus are taking the mickey with 690 though! But its a 4 bed 3 victorian semi so very very inefficient

Ive spent the last few days looking at the heating in general, and a lot of the time someone walks past the stat and jacks it up with no gain the boiler keeps running with no hope of reaching the target temp. And the hive was set way to high during the day and night (20C :o). Ive tweaked it now so hopefully i can save a good 40% on gas alone. Doesnt help i have an elderly mother with artheritis and she does have the gas fire on a lot so im going to look at insulating the living room to keep the heat in.

The PHEV isnt going to get charged as much as it was at home, i'll be seeking out more free chargers, and every other unecessary pc/gadget/amps/subs are now off.

I think I can get the DD down to £400, which is still eye watering, its genuinly giving me sleepless nights, and im in a decent job with a decent wage:(

It's the standing charge I can't deal with, I'll pay for whatever I use but to pay when I don't even have anything switched on is such a con.
The cost of smaller companies going bust are being forced onto the tax payers shoulders which is a big part of the standing charge costs. Also to combat the public lowering there energy usage to cope with the increases costs by putting a chunk into the standing charges so you have no choice but to pay.

Back
Top Bottom