Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

You’re heating a 200L tank of water with a kettle and you’re wondering why your electricity bill is so high. Most people heat their tank with gas or don’t have a tank at all.
A cheap fix for you would be economy 7 for your hot water needs.
Use gas to heat water. Electric is not efficient

It's an immersion heater, tank is in the bathroom, water heating is off and set to only warm up once we need it, central heating isn't on a timer or set to all day with thermostat at 18c or anything like that, we just turn it on manually when we can't take the cold.

We aren't the sort off ppl to leave landing lights on, bedroom lights etc, we only ever light the room we are in, usually only thd lounge. Then it'll be usual stuff, 55" OLED, sky box, soundbar and sub, router. We use battery powered small lights in the lounge, very rarely use ceiling lights or side lamps. We don't own a phone landline. We always turn off sockets upstairs when we wake up or don't need them. We just can't understand how our usage seems so high. We look at other houses in the neighbourhood that constantly have all lights on in most rooms, central heating steam coming from their vents morning and nights and can only image what their prices are like.

Currently watching TV in the lounge, no pc on, no phones or ipads powered, no mains lighting on, no heating on, just essentials our meter is fluctuating between 188w and 295w
As mentioned - are you nesting that hot water tank with the immersion heater?
That is very in-efficient and will cost a lot.

WOW, just wow. That's absolutely frightenly extortionate.
I've gone from DD if £150 to £268 variable and the offer of £365 if I fix.

My normal Nov to Feb actual bills were £200 a month going to £500 a month next winter! Heating in 5-7am and 5-7pm
We have multifuel stove for heat during the day and a tonne of smokeless ovals was £385 before April 1st.

Crazy

Can you elaborate please? I'm genuinely totally clueless when it comes to heating and boilers.
Immersion heaters use electric to heat up water, a gas combi boiler is much cheaper. You are basically using a large kettle to heat up your water which will cost a crap ton of £££. Assuming you have no gas heating from the way you worded things. Electric heating is something that just shouldn't be a thing anymore.

You would need to switch over to Economy 7 (cheaper rates during the night) to save money.

Use gas to heat water. Electric is not efficient
Actually it’s 100% efficient. It just costs a bloody fortune. Gas is still cheaper.
But if they can’t afford a gas boiler fitted then it shouldn’t be much trouble to heat the hot water at night on the lower 7p a kw.

Plugged a power dessert reader on the kettle 16kw in a fortnight.

16 * .30 * 2 - £9.60 a month Bolling the bloody kettle ffs lol.

The tumble drier packed up last month so got a new heat pump replacement

A little over 1kWh/day. Kettles are typically around 3kW so a little over 20 minutes daily use.

Can you elaborate please? I'm genuinely totally clueless when it comes to heating and boilers.
Electricity costs more than gas per KW

you’re using electricity to heat your hot water.
Tanks generally lose a certain amount of KWs daily too even if you’ve not touched the hot tap.
A gas combi boiler heats the hot water only while in use.
Talk to your supplier about heating the water at night, if it’s an old tank wrap more insulation around it and all the pipes around it.

11kWh/day. Not much use comparing, more a question of what are you running in your "two big bungalows" to use that amount?

I'm using on average 10kwh per day is that a lot?

I'm honestly not running anything out the norm.. gaming rig used few times a week... most the light bulbs are 10w max etc. I feel like my bills should be 50-60 max on my current tariff and can't get to the bottom of it.

For example I was away last Saturday and the house still consumed £1.60 of electricity! Yes 25p of that is standing charge and also have a fridge and a separate small chest freezer but I'm really scratching my head..

The only thing I think it may be is the electric gates which we share with the neighbour for access however its plumbed into my supply.. not too upset about that as they're great neighbours and done a lot for me.

I'm honestly not running anything out the norm.. gaming rig used few times a week... most the light bulbs are 10w max etc. I feel like my bills should be 50-60 max on my current tariff and can't get to the bottom of it.

For example I was away last Saturday and the house still consumed £1.60 of electricity! Yes 25p of that is standing charge and also have a fridge and a separate small chest freezer but I'm really scratching my head..

The only thing I think it may be is the electric gates which we share with the neighbour for access however its plumbed into my supply.. not too upset about that as they're great neighbours and done a lot for me.

How many times do they come and go a day??

7kw on standby only is bad. Is something up with the fridges? Did your boiler turn on? How old is everything?

How many times do they come and go a day??

I think it's the gate! Never really thought about this but apparently they use 100w of power just on standby.. that's .50p of electricity a day...

This puts me in an awkward position as they are superb neighbours but don't think this is fair that I'm covering the gate electricity.

Back
Top Bottom