Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Octopus here, just got the email.

electricity dropping from 49.770p standing / 28.440p unit. To 49.119p standing / 24.665p unit.
gas changing from 27.468p standing / 7.422p unit. To 29.558p standing / 5.961p unit.

Feel that SC burrrrnnn!! :cry:

Edit - for context, I have had an issue with the SC for some time...

Last edited:
Seems a bit of a strange situation - surely the risk is even greater with non-smart meters since presumably each flat is having to go and manually take readings all the time? How does that work? If the meters are all separate and inside/outside each flat how can smart meter installations get messed up? They’re not that complicated.

Likely to get overruled at some point in the near future anyway since smart meter rollout is inevitable.
Nope, all meters are locked away. No-one has access other than the property manager. He has shown me where they are as neede to turn off water at some point and it was in the room.
Smart meter rollout im sure was a thing a few years ago but seems to have gone very quiet since.

My Octopus Mini should be arriving soon, however not sure how much benefit I'd get from it, I do keep an eye on the smart meter and I know now what causes it to move from orange to red on usage.

My Octopus Mini should be arriving soon, however not sure how much benefit I'd get from it, I do keep an eye on the smart meter and I know now what causes it to move from orange to red on usage.
Nothing wrong with having a more detailed view :p
Its also in BETA they are planning to add other features eventually whatever it may be

Nope, all meters are locked away. No-one has access other than the property manager. He has shown me where they are as neede to turn off water at some point and it was in the room.
Smart meter rollout im sure was a thing a few years ago but seems to have gone very quiet since.
Smart meter rollout is very much still a thing.

Octopus released a video yesterday talking about the SC and the state of the market in general (renewables etc.)

I have moved back to agile from tracker for electric (assuming they allow it), I checked my previous 30 days on octopus compare, and only one day was green for tracker(it had the perfect storm for it on the time of usage and still only saved 2p).

Because of the base unit premium hike on tracker, I noticed even a day when I was gaming through the agile surge hours, the money saved on the few hours before surge during the session cancelled out the cost on the surge hours.

Even when I was in a bedsit, I had access to my own meter and paid my own bill.

Seen a fair few videos lately from landlords who do inclusive billing, one had incorporated a £120 electric cost into his rents, so tenants cant shop around etc. plus of course if they use less than £120 they dont save the money, one started mining and then got a S21.

I just got an email that Octopus are sending me a Home Mini. I like playing around with beta tech, so that's cool! I think with the Home Mini and the API I can feed a lot of data into Home Assistant.

Even when I was in a bedsit, I had access to my own meter and paid my own bill.

Seen a fair few videos lately from landlords who do inclusive billing, one had incorporated a £120 electric cost into his rents, so tenants cant shop around etc. plus of course if they use less than £120 they dont save the money, one started mining and then got a S21.

Years ago when I was in a shared house with a couple mates, we had inclusive electric. £60/month I think it was in a 3 bed ground floor flat.
British gas had been sending gas bills to the wrong door (front door which wasnt our address) and one day we got back and someone over the road said British gas had been at our flat and used a saw to cut off the security gate, then went in and did a 'purge and relight' - a new payg meter had been installed, they had also changed the locked on the door so we couldnt get in.

We called them and they said they had been sending bills and nothing was paid, but we didnt find the letters until we checked the other door (not our propery) we owed them something like £230... however the security gate was £400 to replace which they had damaged, plus the callout for someone to get us back in and providing keys. About £150 from memory.

So we just didnt use any gas for 6 months through winter, had cold showers and use electric fan heaters.

We explained the situation to the landlord about not paying the bill due to the gate, callout and locking us out and they said you're right not to pay them. Eventually (a week before we moved out) British gas came out, replaced the security gate and we paid the something like £100 of the bill after we showed them the cost of the callout fee and keys. Idiots

Octopus here, just got the email.

electricity dropping from 49.770p standing / 28.440p unit. To 49.119p standing / 24.665p unit.
gas changing from 27.468p standing / 7.422p unit. To 29.558p standing / 5.961p unit.
interesting........ my electricity SC is way cheaper than that, i wonder how long it will last (Intelligent octopus SC 42.02, 31.03 peak, 7.5p off peak)

gas i will lose a little on as am fixed but no complaints, i did ok through out the winter and i will hardly use any from April throw to october anyway (SC 27.47, unit rate 6.79)

interesting........ my electricity SC is way cheaper than that, i wonder how long it will last (Intelligent octopus SC 42.02, 31.03 peak, 7.5p off peak)

gas i will lose a little on as am fixed but no complaints, i did ok through out the winter and i will hardly use any from April throw to october anyway (SC 27.47, unit rate 6.79)
Just an email from Octopus for my April IO SC and unit price. It was SC 42.013 and that has now increased to 47.849 and unit cost was 31.028 and from April it will be 27.935. Ni change to the over night price.

Just an email from Octopus for my April IO SC and unit price. It was SC 42.013 and that has now increased to 47.849 and unit cost was 31.028 and from April it will be 27.935. Ni change to the over night price.
yep I just had it as well. from a selfish POV that SC stings... however it's fairer over all I think as I don't pay for any peak electricity so the only way they make much money from me is via the standing charge. people without the.luxury of solar or batteries would probably rather have cheaper unit price and pay a little more SC.

no mention of export prices yet. I hope they don't cut that. I am just starting to export a noticeable amount now so hope to still get the 15p

Yep - I just got the email.
Was getting excited - in bold headlines : significant savings for Octopus Intelligent Customers, and further down - rates are falling, energy costs down etc….

So I open the PDF detailing my specific information
Turns out my bill goes up :cry:

53588238415_f09bb9d6ba_z.jpg

53588003328_d5f166b2dc_z.jpg

Last edited:
As people adopt Renewables and reduce their consumption, due to a mix of trying to save money and environmental reasons, the energy companies have to secure their income/profit. A guaranteed way to do this is to increase the SC which is inescapable for everyone with mains gas/elec and is unaffected by consumption. IMO of course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom