Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Was very surprised to get a mail from Octupus telling me to pull the main fuse to the house to sort a smart meter issue :eek: Not normally one to complain but I'm putting one in as for example my mum would have went ahead and tried this.

Dangerous advise as only someone from the DNO should be pulling the fuse that's even before you take into account the isolator is after the electricity meter and the gas meter runs off a battery and won't have a fuse the only isolator on it would be for the gas which could cause issues if someone turned that off and lost a pilot light etc.

To address this issue, I recommend performing a reset of your smart meters. This can often help to restore the connection. To reset your meters, please follow these steps:

1. Locate your electricity meter and gas meter.
  2. On each meter, locate the isolation switch or fuse.
  3. Turn off the isolation switch or remove the fuse for both meters.
  4. Wait for approximately 10 seconds.
  5. Turn the isolation switch back on or replace the fuse for both meters.
I'd be more worried if they told you to remove the fuse before the meter. Switching the isolator switch off for 10 seconds won't do any harm, but I doubt it will fix or reset the smart meter either, as it's between the meter and the fusebox.

I'd be more worried if they told you to remove the fuse before the meter. Switching the isolator switch off for 10 seconds won't do any harm, but I doubt it will fix or reset the smart meter either, as it's between the meter and the fusebox.
Yeah my switch is "after" the meter.

Worth fixing rates with Octopus energy for 12 months from 1st April?

From 1st April
standing - 70.812p
unit day rate = 29.41p
unit night rate - 13.58p

1st April direct debit prices (fix for 12 month)
standing - 65.33p
unit day rate = 28.75p
unit night rate - 13.27p

These are my current rates
standing - 56.69p
unit day rate = 33.88p
unit night rate - 15.99p

Worth fixing rates with Octopus energy for 12 months from 1st April?

From 1st April
standing - 70.812p
unit day rate = 29.41p
unit night rate - 13.58p

1st April direct debit prices (fix for 12 month)
standing - 65.33p
unit day rate = 28.75p
unit night rate - 13.27p

These are my current rates
standing - 56.69p
unit day rate = 33.88p
unit night rate - 15.99p
Why not just go on the tracker ?

Why not just go on the tracker ?
Do you mean stay on the default rates...

standing - 70.812p
unit day rate = 29.41p
unit night rate - 13.58p

I guess in case they suddenly go up after a few months. Though it seems like rates are coming down if anything (but standing charges shooting up) :mad:

Do you mean stay on the default rates...

standing - 70.812p
unit day rate = 29.41p
unit night rate - 13.58p

I guess in case they suddenly go up after a few months. Though it seems like rates are coming down if anything (but standing charges shooting up) :mad:

That wont work

You seem to be missing a key ingredient...

To join Tracker you need a working smart meter

We cant have a smart meter in our flats.
The building management company wont allow it as last time smart meters were installed (over 50) they ended up messing up readings for many people - different flats were paying for others electric and vise versa. It took a long time for it to be resolved so there's a straight no for electric companies coming in and installing meters now. Any 'you need a meter for x date' type requests go to management to sort out.

• Sad
Reactions: TNA
That wont work

The building management company wont allow it as last time smart meters were installed (over 50) they ended up messing up readings for many people - different flats were paying for others electric and vise versa. It took a long time for it to be resolved so there's a straight no for electric companies coming in and installing meters now. Any 'you need a meter for x date' type requests go to management to sort out.
Is it legal for them to do that?

Probably not. Someone obviously goofed up and assigned the wrong meters to each property on the database, human error and all that. Not sure the knee jerk response is justified.

That wont work

Seems a bit of a strange situation - surely the risk is even greater with non-smart meters since presumably each flat is having to go and manually take readings all the time? How does that work? If the meters are all separate and inside/outside each flat how can smart meter installations get messed up? They’re not that complicated.

Likely to get overruled at some point in the near future anyway since smart meter rollout is inevitable.

Last edited:
Octopus here, just got the email.

electricity dropping from 49.770p standing / 28.440p unit. To 49.119p standing / 24.665p unit.
gas changing from 27.468p standing / 7.422p unit. To 29.558p standing / 5.961p unit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom