Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
Great.

I'll need a working smart meter.

We have an electric 10kwh shower but I can take a shower any time of the day. Same with washing etc.

What would be ideal is some sort of app to tell me each day the cheapest hour!

Oven is gas here, but often use airfryer

Octopus watch does exactly that.

https://agileprices.co.uk/

Will do what you need if you are not signed up.

Soldato
Still paying £417 a month to octopus - Got £1000 refund earlier this year.... And still £1800 in credit now...

Yet - spoke to them on chat about lowering monthly payment and they have suggested I keep it at that level for the winter time. Seems odd, when I'm nearly £2k in credit and have been over £1000 in credit through the last winter....

Still paying £417 a month to octopus - Got £1000 refund earlier this year.... And still £1800 in credit now...

Yet - spoke to them on chat about lowering monthly payment and they have suggested I keep it at that level for the winter time. Seems odd, when I'm nearly £2k in credit and have been over £1000 in credit through the last winter....
Ask them for the full bill every month and just pay that via Dd. That will stop it

Soldato

I was nowhere near that much in credit, but I've requested 2 refunds so far this year.

Caporegime
Crazy to think how much standing charge gets added in every day... 54p! I usually have a small fan on over night which hardly uses anything and it's showing 62p by 8am.

Soldato
I do see the argument about SC sometimes being really high due to very low population areas however that is not the only reason.

A friend of mine is paying ~65p SC despite living on the outskirts of Runcorn. Yes its a village where he lives but its a bloody big one, really a small town now and is on the outskirts of a much larger town. He also has a massive windfarm a stones throw from his house.

some desolate hamlet in the middle of no where, sure, but him paying almost 20p a day more SC than i do really isnt fair, he is just as close to a high population density area as I am. Should places like London have a slight reduction in SC because its incredibly highly populated? sure! I can dig that, but at the same time areas where the local population have accepted having generation on their doorstep and haven't been NIMBY toys out of pram throwers.... they deserve a reduction as well esp when they are supplying those areas without their own local generation.
No wonder people in some areas are tempted to push back. If they are going to have to risk losing their nice surroundings and take a hit on the value of their property, and yet not get any of the benefits of the local generation even if they accept it then i can see why they say sod it and complain.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wind farms don’t devalue nearby property, that is complete FUD.

Pretty sure Liverpool and its surrounding areas gets bundled in with North Wales which explains the high pricing.

Soldato
Wind farms don’t devalue nearby property, that is complete FUD.

Pretty sure Liverpool and its surrounding areas gets bundled in with North Wales which explains the high pricing.
personally I quite like wind turbines and i am fully in support of more of them............ i dont consider them an eyesore at all however it is a fact that not everyone feels as i do........... also whilst i am not saying they are not needed, i think it would be wrong to say that a green field being replaced by a solar farm would not have a negative effect on house prices which overlook said field for instance.
Personally i find it far easier to embrace windfarms than i do solar farms.

mainly because i believe there are better places to put solar than on potentially green land... albeit more expensive i guess (but still cheaper than nuclear)

Last edited:
Soldato

Your money sits in their bank, earns them interest and means as a company they have 'spare' cash laying around to invest in things?

Soldato
personally I quite like wind turbines and i am fully in support of more of them............ i dont consider them an eyesore at all however it is a fact that not everyone feels as i do........... also whilst i am not saying they are not needed, i think it would be wrong to say that a green field being replaced by a solar farm would not have a negative effect on house prices which overlook said field for instance.
Personally i find it far easier to embrace windfarms than i do solar farms.

mainly because i believe there are better places to put solar than on potentially green land... albeit more expensive i guess (but still cheaper than nuclear)

I read something the other day saying that the actual wind turbine blades arent recyclable, so that's another thing against them, other than them looking ugly..

Soldato
I read something the other day saying that the actual wind turbine blades arent recyclable, so that's another thing against them, other than them looking ugly..
that may be half true but 1) after 30 years production i think the blades would have more than justified their existence but 2) there are plenty of 2nd life uses for the blade materials such as for foot bridges (they look way nicer than metal ones ( https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/11/22929059/recycled-wind-turbine-blade-bridges-world-first ) or in other construction ( https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2666682021000323 ) or just breaking them down for use in other stuff (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51325101)..... and 3) there are currently wooden blades being looked at. am sure there are other materials as well.

but even forgetting 2) & 3) the waste i think is still negligible over the life of the turbine when compared to other generation methods.

Last edited:

They wern't recycleable for some time, but as ever once things get to a scale someone makes it work.

They are used for a variety of things, but one use is now that they are ground up and used as reinforcing in cement.

Soldato

no way i would be leaving that money in their account or paying that much in DD...get the money out of there and switch to a variable direct debit on billing

Soldato
Last time I checked coal, gas and oil was highly recyclable after being burnt and didn’t damage the local environment at all where it’s extracted and refined, oh wait…

Last edited:
Caporegime
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom