Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Great! I'll save the washing for windy days.. To put in the tumble dryer! :D

The last decent negative day we had in the east was 8th June. We had 2.5 hours between -6p and -8p per kwh.
I fully charged the house battery, used the dishwasher, did some washing plus charged everything I could plug in. We used 20kwh that day from the grid and got paid 81p
I also exported 19.6kwh as it was sunny so I dumped batteries pre negative (plunge pricing) and after the negative pricing I was still generating well with solar.
Net end of day was they paid me £3.75 :)

Soldato
It’s not that it’s coming to an end is that the prices have stabilised in the market generally. Stable market means the tracker rate will be basically the same as the SVR as they both track roughly the same thing. It’s completely expected.

The SVR just lags the tracker, so in a falling market you want to be on tracker, in a rising market you want to be on SVR or a fix. In a stable market, it probably doesn’t matter much unless there is a good fix to be had.

Soldato
I'm in the process of switching to Tomato Energy.

Quite good quoting process where you give them access to your Smart Meter in order to grab a years worth of data and run that through their available tariffs for you to review.

So I've got a 12 month fixed:

00:00 - 06:00: 5p p/kWh
06:00 - 10:00: 23.16p p/kWh
10:00 - 12:00: 13.37p p/kWh
12:00 - 22:00: 23.16p p/kWh
22:00 - 00:00: 13.37p p/kWh

Standing charge is 40.82p.

We have an ASHP, so will be using it primarily during those cheaper time periods.
Thanks for the heads up. Their life style tariff looks great. 5.5p overnight for 4hrs and 14p for 3/4 hours during the day then 20.7p for the rest. Works well with our house demand and our EV.

Need to compare this with EV tariff. But I feel the tomato will win due to the low over night rate as we can just top up the battery in the 4hrs and even for long trip needing 100% charge, we can plan ahead to make sure the night before is 80% then get to 100% when required. Basically just charge the car daily.

They also have this tariff for solar panel and battery. Will need to find out what’s that all about.

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided to switch over to Tomato Energy 12m fixed EV tarriff.

0:00-06:00 5p/kwh
06:00-10:00 23p/kwh
10:00-12:00 13.5p/kwh
12:00-22:00 23p/kwh
22:00-24:00 13.5p/kwh

40p standing charge

Much cheaper than tracker average unit rates (same standing charge).

Last edited:
Soldato
I've read the tracker formula has changed again if signing up from July. I'm thinking it kind of makes it not worth it if you have to sigh up now. Might be better going onto fixed for a year. Tracker seem to be coming to an end
I think it got too popular and then the temptation got too much to tinker with the formula.

I jumped to Agile after they changed it at start of year. Prior to the tinkering Tracker on a average unit rate per day used to edge Agile most days, but after it switched it round and Agile has the additional benefit you can save more with some TOU tinkering.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s not that it’s coming to an end is that the prices have stabilised in the market generally. Stable market means the tracker rate will be basically the same as the SVR as they both track roughly the same thing. It’s completely expected.

The SVR just lags the tracker, so in a falling market you want to be on tracker, in a rising market you want to be on SVR or a fix. In a stable market, it probably doesn’t matter much unless there is a good fix to be had.
There was a formula change at start of the year, which added around 2p or so to the unit rate paid on tracker electric. I dont know about the July stuff though.

Associate
After being years with British Gas (I know I know bad idea) finally just put in my transfer to Octopus Energy. Hope will see an improvement in bills and better overall service. Then once signed up I can move to its Go tariff. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

Soldato
After being years with British Gas (I know I know bad idea) finally just put in my transfer to Octopus Energy. Hope will see an improvement in bills and better overall service. Then once signed up I can move to its Go tariff. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

Make sure you used a ref code as it gives you and the person who refs you £50 each.

I think you can add it after sign up but may have to contact them to get it applied.

Soldato
After being on octopus tracker for 2yrs, it’s been great. Saved buckets of money whilst being at least 50% of capped rate.

But the rates really has been down much over the last winter/spring. Summer rate is always pegged quite high. So yeah good time to move onto a fixed especially with no exit fee

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah also considering a fix as well after being on tracker since last Feb, the price paid being a known figure may win over the slightly riskier tracker, especially if there is some shock to the system over winter (which is when I use the most gas).

Soldato
We have to define hugely though.

Gas tracker is around 4.5p/kWh for me at the moment. A fix is probably 5.5-5.7p. Higher yes, but maybe 20% so, and in winter that 20% could swing to being 20% more expensive than a fix.

Considering options anyway don't need to make a call on it today :)

Back
Top Bottom