Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Caporegime
What does this mean?
Negative prices? What if you use Kwh here?

Tv27S6e.jpeg

Soldato
I'm in the process of switching to Tomato Energy.

Quite good quoting process where you give them access to your Smart Meter in order to grab a years worth of data and run that through their available tariffs for you to review.

So I've got a 12 month fixed:

00:00 - 06:00: 5p p/kWh
06:00 - 10:00: 23.16p p/kWh
10:00 - 12:00: 13.37p p/kWh
12:00 - 22:00: 23.16p p/kWh
22:00 - 00:00: 13.37p p/kWh

Standing charge is 40.82p.

We have an ASHP, so will be using it primarily during those cheaper time periods.

Last edited:
Soldato

Quite good quoting process where you give them access to your Smart Meter in order to grab a years worth of data and run that through their available tariffs for you to review.

We have an ASHP, so will be using it primarily during those cheaper time periods.
their solar package is more than double my elec and gas bill....no thanks lol

Soldato
That's sweet.
So can just set the 60c wash, the dishwasher and take a shower and get paid for it?

How often does this happen? We only have 2 or 3 loads of washing a week. So can easily make use of this!

Not that often, but if it's windy etc it's more likely afaik.

Doubt you'll reliably get 2-3 times a week but yeah take advantage to do stuff with it when you get it!

Soldato

Not heard of them but those are quite attractive rates, especially if you're not on solar/battery etc.

Soldato
6 hrs at 5p and with 41p SC is blooming good TBH. even with Solar and battery (fill up at 5p and you are laughing!) the question for me would be what are their export prices? I cant imagine they will match IOs 15p because if they did they would be losing money for part of the day, and making very little for the rest of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
6 hrs at 5p and with 41p SC is blooming good TBH. even with Solar and battery (fill up at 5p and you are laughing!) the question for me would be what are their export prices? I cant imagine they will match IOs 15p because if they did they would be losing money for part of the day, and making very little for the rest of it.

Correct export with Intelligent is very good indeed, and if you leave Octopus you miss that better rate.

Other thing to be wary of is how good their support is, Octopus isn't perfect but is a lot better and quicker than the other providers I've had when I've needed them.

Interesting, they are doing free solar/battery with fixed £80 PCM bills for 10 years, what is the catch though? https://www.tomato.energy/ppc

I guess catch here might be similar to those old solar horror stories you hear where you are leasing your roof effectively. If you own the system then I can't see any obvious downsides at a glance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Correct export with Intelligent is very good indeed, and if you leave Octopus you miss that better rate.

Other thing to be wary of is how good their support is, Octopus isn't perfect but is a lot better and quicker than the other providers I've had when I've needed them.

Interesting, they are doing free solar/battery with fixed £80 PCM bills for 10 years, what is the catch though? https://www.tomato.energy/ppc

I guess catch here might be similar to those old solar horror stories you hear where you are leasing your roof effectively. If you own the system then I can't see any obvious downsides at a glance.
the catch is thats 10k over the 10yr time period lol and you get nothing for the additional solar you create.

Soldato
the catch is thats 10k over the 10yr time period lol and you get nothing for the additional solar you create.
fixed £120 a month however if you have a couple of EVs and do a decent amount of miles i can still see being an attractive proposition for many people who dont have the available funds to pay for solar/battery. I used to pay that per month on 1 car alone for diesel (pre-pandemic before partly WFH) so to get electricity and charging for cars for that price is not bad.

(for reference last year our whole house including 2 EVs we used 5000kwh ..... we still have Gas CH. But that still leaves 2000kwh for heating if you get heatpump electric heating and hot water tank.... which may be cutting it fine but possibly doable with good insulation and a heat pump (in truth i am not sure).

Last edited:
Soldato
im not convinced that would cost me anywhere near 10k for leccy and solar install. My solar install was 5k, my leccy bills are negligible and im getting the export rate back in my pocket to pay towards my gas bill too.

My export so far this year has given me £230.....and my import is less than £100 on electric so far this year.

Last edited:
Soldato
im not convinced that would cost me anywhere near 10k for leccy and solar install. My solar install was 5k, my leccy bills are negligible and im getting the export rate back in my pocket to pay towards my gas bill too.

My export so far this year has given me £230.....and my import is less than £100 on electric so far this year.
didnt you install it yourself tho - or at least did a bunch of the work?

my solar and battery system installed was £8500 but 1) i got it for a cheap price and 2) as i understand it prices have gone up a fair bit since i got mine (albeit you would get a better system than mine if installing today, 3 years is a long time in this technology

Soldato
Moving into a new house tomorrow, it's very short notice as only found it on Friday. Need to switch gas and elec over to me, what's the best and cheapest option?
good work getting so fast! it took me months!.

do you have an EV or does the house have solar or battery? if yes to any of the above then Octopus are a great choice (make sure you get a referal off an existing customer and you get £50 bonus).

Soldato
Moving into a new house tomorrow, it's very short notice as only found it on Friday. Need to switch gas and elec over to me, what's the best and cheapest option?
First of all you have to take over the existing supply from the existing supplier.

After that you are free to move to someone else if you wish. Short of a smart EV or solar tariff, there is not much competition in the market in reality.

Soldato
didnt you install it yourself tho - or at least did a bunch of the work?

my solar and battery system installed was £8500 but 1) i got it for a cheap price and 2) as i understand it prices have gone up a fair bit since i got mine (albeit you would get a better system than mine if installing today, 3 years is a long time in this technology
Nope the original system was 5k fitted……

What does this mean?
Negative prices? What if you use Kwh here?

Tv27S6e.jpeg

The negatives vary. Typically they are either very early am, or in the mid afternoon slot.

You can see history here

As far as how often, most likely day seems to be Sunday. They are not super regular, but if you get windy days you will see more of them.

Caporegime
The negatives vary. Typically they are either very early am, or in the mid afternoon slot.

You can see history here

As far as how often, most likely day seems to be Sunday. They are not super regular, but if you get windy days you will see more of them.

Great! I'll save the washing for windy days.. To put in the tumble dryer! :D

Back
Top Bottom