Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I think it'll be a while before those costs are recouped. Bulb for instance cost the taxpayer 3 billion. I'm not sure raising the SC by 20-30p a day will cover that anytime soon.

Not really done the numbers but as i recall people that did in this thread some time ago suggested it would have done by now. I was going off that as never stopped to verify the calculations myself.

You really have to go out of your way to consume so little and is likely only possible as a single person without solar and batteries.
You are simply ignoring facts. I don't go out of my way to reduce my consumption at all. There are two of us in this house. We have the lights on. I even have a dehumidiifier that I run periodically.

So your statement is factually wrong, its not 'only possible' if your are single or have solar/batteries.

10-15% of households is like 3-4 million households.

Seems your definition of abnormal is anything not the average.

Bottom 5%, bottom 10% makes no difference really, you are a very low user and thus fixed costs will be a higher percentage of your bill.
I dont disagree because it is factual. Its not abnormal though when its 3-4 million UK households.

Language is important.

@b0rn2sk8 is suggesting that its only possible to use 3kWh a day if you have some kind of very unusual set up. That is simply not the case.

If you have gas heating and cooking there is no way you should be getting anywhere near 10 kWh a day. What are you using it on?

You are simply ignoring facts. I don't go out of my way to reduce my consumption at all. There are two of us in this house. We have the lights on. I even have a dehumidiifier that I run periodically.

So your statement is factually wrong, its not 'only possible' if your are single or have solar/batteries.

10-15% of households is like 3-4 million households.

Seems your definition of abnormal is anything not the average.

Oh the irony of accusing me of ignoring facts while you ignore the detail within your own chatGPT assertions.

Go back and actually read what you posted. It’s lumping people who are lower users because they just have extremely low consumption and those who low users because they have other sources of energy like solar into the same category.

Over 5% of U.K. households have solar these days and a huge proportion of them will now be low users as a result, including me.

Don’t forget, it only counts energy used by the house and removes other demand such as space heating and electric cars from the figures.

As I’ve already explained, you can’t easily differentiate between those who are genuinely low and those who have opted for other forms of energy generation in the way the energy market is currently structured in the U.K.

If you lower the standing charge for one group, you also lower it for the other, the other group doesn’t need it lowering. You’ll end up in situations where those who can’t take advantage of solar end up subsidising those who do.

I dont disagree because it is factual. Its not abnormal though when its 3-4 million UK households.

Language is important.

@b0rn2sk8 is suggesting that its only possible to use 3kWh a day if you have some kind of very unusual set up. That is simply not the case.

If you have gas heating and cooking there is no way you should be getting anywhere near 10 kWh a day. What are you using it on?
I didn’t say you have an unusual set up, I said you have to go out of your way to use so little e.g. you consciously minimise your consumption as much as possible.

As for what I personally use it on? We are on a computer enthusiasts forum, I’ll give you one guess….

Lets just quote ofgem, they reckon 'low' use is 1 flat or 1 bedroom house with 1-2 people = 1800kWh per year. Almost 5 per day. So you're abnormally low even by that measurement, do you live in a flat or 1 bedroom house?

Language is important.
The number of households doesn't mean it isn't abnormal.

Language is important. Lets check the dictionary.

abnormally
adverb

uk

in a way that is abnormal (= different from what is usual or average):

I wouldnt normally quote dictionary because its petty but your AI response deserved it.

Last edited:
I didn’t say you have an unusual set up, I said you have to go out of your way to use so little e.g. you consciously minimise your consumption as much as possible.
I dont go out of my way to reduce my energy use, at all. So your assertion is simply wrong here.

It is just a natural consequence of having both gas heating and gas cooking. The fridge is still on, the washing machine still gets used multiple times per week, I even run a dehumidifier. And I also have a PC that I game on (not everyday), a TV I watch (every day) and a work laptop that is plugged in whenever Im at home.

And yet my consumption is still 3-3.5kWh a day. Must be some magic happening somewhere.

Lets just quote ofgem, they reckon 'low' use is 1 flat or 1 bedroom house with 1-2 people = 1800kWh per year. Almost 5 per day. So you're abnormally low even by that measurement, do you live in a flat or 1 bedroom house?

The number of households doesn't mean it isn't abnormal.

Language is important. Lets check the dictionary.

I wouldnt normally quote dictionary because its petty but your AI response deserved it.
Normal is a range not a spot value.

Let me come back to height again. The average for a man is 5'9". Its also still normal to be anywhere between say 5'5-6'2.

Above/below that your in the <5 percentiles.

If you want to believe that abnormal simply means not the average then go for it, you won't find that assumption used in any professional/scientific field. They wouldn't even use the word as its subjective anyway. Accepted wisdom would be the 5 percentiles maybe the 10 percentiles.

Average --> Lower than average --> very low --> abnormally low.

Lets see what Chat GPT says about it:

What does 'abnormal' mean?

ChatGPT said:​

"Abnormal" refers to something that deviates from what is typical, usual, or expected. It is used to describe conditions, behaviors, or situations that are not within the normal range. The term can be applied in various contexts, such as:
  1. Medical: Abnormal results on a medical test might indicate a potential health issue.
  2. Behavioral: Abnormal behavior may refer to actions that are significantly different from societal norms.
  3. Statistical: In statistics, an abnormal data point is one that lies far outside the expected range.
Overall, "abnormal" implies a deviation from the standard, whether that standard is health, behavior, function, or any other norm.

Ah yes it mentions range without even being prompted for it.

Last edited:
If you want to believe that abnormal simply means not the average then go for it, you won't find that assumption used in any professional/scientific field. They wouldn't even use the word as its subjective anyway. Accepted wisdom would be the 5 percentiles maybe the 10 percentiles.
No, I just quoted dictionary because you mentioned language. Fact is you are way lower than even the 'low' figure on the range of figures ofgem give - there is your 'range'. Your usage is abnormally low.

No, I just quoted dictionary because you mentioned language. Fact is you are way lower than even the 'low' figure on the range of figures ofgem give - there is your 'range'. Your usage is abnormally low.
If you want to define abnormal as the 10-15 percentile then fine. I don't.

I assume then that you also think a 6'1" tall person is abnormally tall. That's ok, if you do, I just want to be consistent.

Ps chat GPT agrees with me.

what percentile would say is abnormal?

In statistics, the term "abnormal" often corresponds to values that fall in the extreme tails of a distribution. Typically, these extremes are defined using percentiles. Here's how percentiles can relate to what is considered "abnormal":
  1. Below the 5th percentile: Values below the 5th percentile are considered unusually low. This means only 5% of the population or data falls below this point.
  2. Above the 95th percentile: Values above the 95th percentile are considered unusually high. This means only 5% of the population or data exceeds this point.
So, in many cases, values below the 5th percentile or above the 95th percentile are often considered "abnormal." This corresponds to the outer 10% of a distribution, with the middle 90% generally considered "normal."
In more extreme cases, some contexts may define "abnormal" as being below the 2.5th percentile or above the 97.5th percentile, representing the outer 5% of a distribution (2.5% on each tail).

You said:​

would the 15 percentile be considered abnormal?

The 15th percentile is not typically considered "abnormal" in most contexts. While it does indicate a value that is lower than 85% of the population or dataset, it is still within a range that many would consider "low" rather than "abnormal."
Here’s a breakdown:
  • Normal Range: Often considered between the 5th and 95th percentiles.
  • Low/High but not Abnormal: Percentiles between 5th-15th or 85th-95th. These may be flagged as "low" or "high" but are generally not outside the bounds of normal variation.
  • Abnormal Range: Typically below the 5th percentile or above the 95th percentile.
So, while the 15th percentile might be lower than average, it usually doesn't qualify as "abnormal." It suggests a value that is on the lower side of the normal distribution.

Edit - I even asked it to find evidence:
Can you provide 10 sources that would define it that way?

Sure! Here are 10 sources across various fields that align with the definition of "abnormal" as values that fall outside the 5th to 95th percentiles, particularly focusing on medical and statistical contexts:
  1. "Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine" (20th Edition)
    • Author: J. Larry Jameson, Anthony S. Fauci, et al.
    • This widely used medical textbook often describes abnormal test results as those falling outside the normal percentiles.
  2. "Clinical Laboratory Medicine: An Introduction" (2nd Edition)
    • Author: Michael L. Bishop, Edward P. Fody, and Larry E. Schoeff
    • This book discusses the interpretation of laboratory results, including how abnormal values are typically defined.
  3. "Fundamentals of Biostatistics" (9th Edition)
    • Author: Bernard Rosner
    • This textbook provides an introduction to biostatistics, including how percentiles are used to determine abnormal values.
  4. "Statistics for Business and Economics" (12th Edition)
    • Author: Paul Newbold, William L. Miller, and Ronald M.ster
    • This book covers statistical methods, including the use of percentiles to identify outliers and abnormal values.
  5. "Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis" (6th Edition)
    • Author: Richard A. Johnson and Dean W. Wichern
    • A textbook that discusses the use of percentiles and outlier detection in multivariate statistics.
  6. "The Principles of Statistics"
    • Author: M.G. Bulmer
    • A classic text that covers statistical principles, including how extreme percentiles can indicate abnormal data.
  7. "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders" (DSM-5)
    • American Psychiatric Association
    • While more nuanced, this manual sometimes uses percentile data in the context of diagnosing psychological disorders, considering extreme deviations.
  8. "Statistical Methods for the Social Sciences" (5th Edition)
    • Authors: Alan Agresti and Barbara Finlay
    • This book explains statistical methods including how percentiles can define normal and abnormal values in social science research.
  9. "Essentials of Biostatistics in Public Health"
    • Authors: Lisa M. Sullivan
    • Discusses biostatistical concepts including the use of percentiles for determining abnormal results in public health research.
  10. "Principles of Statistics"
    • Author: Y.A. Sharpe
    • A textbook that includes a discussion on statistical definitions, including how percentiles are used to identify abnormal data points.
These sources collectively cover the use of percentiles in defining abnormal values across medical, statistical, and behavioral contexts. They provide foundational knowledge on how percentiles are applied to determine what constitutes "abnormal" in various fields.

As an aside, chat GPT is so powerful. Imagine trying to source that data and sources yourself. Impossible.

Last edited:

Of those 10% nearly half probably have solar. Being a very low user because you have solar isn’t the same thing as just being a very low user like you.

P.S. chat GPT isn’t a reliable source of information, it’s literally renown for making stuff up, all the time.

Of those 10% nearly half probably have solar. Being a very low user because you have solar isn’t the same thing as just being a very low user like you.

P.S. chat GPT isn’t a reliable source of information, it’s literally renown for making stuff up, all the time.
I take the point that low users will now include solar users.

I agree on chatgpt, do have to be careful with it. However its very good at scouring the web and finding stuff you'd never be able to find (or would take ages) just using google. Its very powerful on interpretive language.

Ive been using it in my part time study course to help steer me in the right direction. Takes hours (at least) off the initial research of topics.

Last edited:
I take the point that low users will now include solar users.

Do you agree that it’s a catch 22 when it comes to the standing charge for low users because of this?

Do you also agree that the proportion of low users which are low because they have solar will only bigger, the higher solar penetration gets?

Do you agree that it’s a catch 22 when it comes to the standing charge for low users because of this?

Do you also agree that the proportion of low users which are low because they have solar will only bigger, the higher solar penetration gets?
Yes and yes.

Although the movement of solar users from average/higher than average, to low, will also lower the typical use value/change the distribution percentiles across the board.

Last edited:

I assume then that you also think a 6'1" tall person is abnormally tall. That's ok, if you do, I just want to be consistent.
What happened to your range?
Its also still normal to be anywhere between say 5'5-6'2.

So you want me to say 6ft 1 is out of range?

Remember your energy use was well below the ofgem low range and you didn't clarify what size house you had as that makes a difference as well. Either way i'd still say your use is abnormally low and a 6 ft 1 person is not abnormally tall, they are just 'tall'.

Last edited:
Remember your energy use was well below the ofgem low range and you didn't clarify what size house you had as that makes a difference as well. Either way i'd still say your use is abnormally low and a 6 ft 1 person is not abnormally tall, they are just 'tall'.
There's no point continuing to argue, Ive made my point. 6'1 is the 95th percentile, my electricity use is the 10-15th percentile. So being 6'1 is more abnormal than my electricity use is.

Last edited:
Yes and yes.

Although the movement of solar users from average/higher than average, to low, will also lower the typical use value/change the distribution percentiles across the board.
That’s the rub though isn’t it?

There isn’t a win win solution to this that doesn’t have political or real costs for a certain group.

If you cut the standing charge which benefits low users, you also give benefits to solar users who don’t need it and push more on to typical users who can’t afford or simple can’t install solar. You get crushed by the media for cutting charges for rich people with solar and adding it on to others bills.

If you add additional charges for solar users or cut export payments you get crushed by the green lobby and you damage the domestic solar industry (again!!) which costs jobs and puts you behind on net zero objectives and makes you more reliant on expensive imported gas.

The current situation of higher standing charges probably better reflect the ‘end game’ of where we get to. Now we just need to finish the smart meter roll out so we can move to standard time of use pricing.

There's no point continuing to argue, Ive made my point. 6'1 is the 95th percentile, my electricity use is the 10-15th percentile. So being 6'1 is more abnormal than my electricity use is.
You will believe what you want to believe. Seems we can only use ranges that support your argument though. I'm guessing house size pushes you further into the 'abnormal' zone as well.

Back
Top Bottom