Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I was absolutely broke when they went through the roof, and the upside of the tracker was less interesting than the potential risk of it going mad. I'm a bit less broke now so might be game for tracker again, but only if I can quantify the upside and it's worth it.

I am a reasonably low-consumption user (10k kWh based on last rolling year). Getting a quote of 5.83p/kWh atm.

Does this help you..?

Scroll down to the bottom part where you fill in your details etc, useful as a guide...

Does this help you..?

Scroll down to the bottom part where you fill in your details etc, useful as a guide...

Gave it a go but because I am on an EV tariff my equivalent rate is 21p/kWh for electricity so think it throws the calculator.

5.83kWh seems inexpensive - what has tracker averaged out at the last 12 months?

Just for info, currently on tracker, for gas I'm paying 4.82/27.42.

Thanks - not worth saving a penny per kWh on a new fix by the looks...

Last edited:
Twas good while it lasted.
My 2021, 3 year energy fix has just ended.
The biggest impact is actually standing charge.
45p a day to 1 pound a day.
It very much did its job of keeping me on 5p gas and 22p electric though through the really bad times!

So the plan is to move to octopus. Is the hourly variable available if you don't have an EV?

I can only find the daily variable.

Last edited:
It very much did its job of keeping me on 5p gas and 22p electric though through the really bad times!

So the plan is to move to octopus. Is the hourly variable available if you don't have an EV?

Agile is 30 minute variable.

Shows how good tracker is, your fixed rate was more expensive than what I've been paying for the past year, for both gas and electtric.

Electric even went down to around 10p for a while.

Yes, it's called Agile.

Shows how good tracker is, your fixed rate was more expensive than what I've been paying for the past year, for both gas and electtric.

Electric even went down to around 10p for a while.

We have a 10kw electric shower and a tumble dryer, dishwasher and washing machine. As we are flexible we can put these on during cheapest times. Including the shower, but
Particularly the tumble dryer as only do 2-3 loads a week. So can just wait for those under 5p times.

If it wasn't for the super cheap unit rate I'd have switched earlier.

That fix did wonders 2 years back though!

Last edited:
We have a 10kw electric shower and a tumble dryer, dishwasher and washing machine. As we are flexible we can put these on during cheapest times. Including the shower, but
Particularly the tumble dryer as only do 2-3 loads a week. So can just wait for those under 5p times.

If it wasn't for the super cheap unit rate I'd have switched earlier.

That fix did wonders 2 years back though!
Basically if you avoid a lot of usage between 4-7pm agile will be good. If it does go very high you can switch away to the standard tariff at any time and unlike tracker you can rejoin agile after 30 days.

Not an expert but I think you have to bump it yourself - pretty sure this came up the last time.
it didnt matter in the end anyway... i plugged my car in and it automatically gave me an IO slot from 1pm-2pm so i didnt need to bump it.

quickly logged into the house battery and stopped that discharging (it was already full so no bonus free power there) and now all is done. to be honest i wont make much out of it..... my lost export over the last hr will half any saving i would have made.......... but if it helps balance the grid and minimises curtailment fees, it will give the telegraph etc less to whine about so it was worth doing anyway.

on a less exciting note!!!! i got the email today that my gas fix is ending on the 25th october. ....... so that is going to be an increase. i think i may hold off on a fix and wait till spring and see if prices come down.

my fix is only half a penny a kwh less than the predicted variable anyway, and the standing charge 1p less. barely worth locking in for that.

Just setup a one year fix with outfox the market from the money-saving expert.com and it looks like it's a bit unknown what will happen in the winter months.

This locks at about 4% less than the October price cap rise so I hope prices don't fall back low again.

Any easy way to tell if I have a SMETS 1 or 2 meter (or a smart meter at all?)

I can upload some images if it helps? (deleting my ID numbers of course)
Post the model name and number (you should be able to find them on the meter) or just Google them. Mine actually have SMETS 2 written on them.

New unit rates for me:

IMG-3463.jpg

IMG-3464.jpg

Maybe, slightly concerned about the downside risk with the gas over winter.

Edit - also my gas meter can’t be read remotely so that might be a problem.
It obviously is gonna be different this year but last year was this

Screenshot-20240910-182235-Chrome.png

Tracker has never been above standard apart from a few odd days this year and even then it's pennys. Not locked into it either so can switch off :)

Last 3 months is

Screenshot-20240910-182610-Chrome.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom