Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

You're estimating 4380 kWh a year production which is not realistic. There's no doubt a 2.4 kWp system could produce 12 kWh a day on a good summers day, but as anyone that lives in the UK knows, "a good summers day" are few and far between. In Winter it could very well make next to nothing on many days. Just to back that up, the energy savings trust say a 2.5 kWp system here in Cambridge, on a south facing roof, with no shade at a 30 degree angle (I.E. perfect/optimal conditions) it would produce 2337 kWh annually. Near half what you estimate.

Then you have to factor in if you can even use all the energy you produce. Highly unlikely without a battery because most households aren't drawing ~2.4 kW for a large portion of the day, so you'll be exporting (for a small gain), then buying energy back in the evenings at high cost. the EST estimate true saving of only £400 a year, assuming your at home all the time (which is again unlikely for most!).

Unfortunately, anyone slapping 8 panels on the roof hoping to save £1500/yr really will be in for bill shock! Solar is a great option, but you really do have to keep the numbers realistic!

So even in the south of England solar panels produce on average 9-10% of what they are rated, god only knows how feasible they are here in the North!

So even in the south of England solar panels produce on average 9-10% of what they are rated, god only knows how feasible they are here in the North!

To give you an idea we're in Cheshire and have a 4.2kW install (no storage) that generates 4000kWh per year, we use 1500kWh of that which at current prices saves us £420 per year. We also receive FiT of approx. £260 per year.
Install back in 2018 was £6.5k so payback is now under 10 years.
Looking at adding battery storage now and after running the figures I think we could expect to use at least another 1500kWh of generated energy, saving another £420 per year. If I can get the level of storage I want installed for under £4200 then I'll go for it.

Actually usually Liberal.

You're one of those people who exaggerates every figure.
Higher unit cost, Lower cost to install, perfect weather, etc etc

You're spreading misinformation. Like the guy on Facebook who said 'boiling your kettle costs 12 pounds a month'.

If anything paid for itself in 4 years, and at that amount, people would be (me included) clamouring for it.

Is simply not true what you're saying. And it's not "bullying" or whatever to call someone for spreading misinformation.
I've said the unit cost around the 30p mark, I was quoted £4800, I've roughly based the energy produced over 5 hours rather than a full day..

You're spreading negativity and zero solutions, you'd rather attack people.

Your behavior is bullying because rather than suggesting any wrongs you'd rather go on the attack.

To give you an idea we're in Cheshire and have a 4.2kW install (no storage) that generates 4000kWh per year, we use 1500kWh of that which at current prices saves us £420 per year. We also receive FiT of approx. £260 per year.
Looking at adding battery storage now and after running the figures I think we could expect to use at least another 1500kWh of generated energy, saving another £420 per year. If I can get the level of storage I want installed for under £4200 then I'll go for it.
Are you not insulted by the fact you get 10p per Kwh back from the energy company. For them to now simply turn around and charge you 27p per kwh? lol

Get a battery, Don't send anything to the grid.

Are there any decent Vehicle to Home (V2H) solutions yet? I see the Nissan Leaf has supported it for years in Japan but very little support elsewhere.

For someone working from home a second hand electric car could be a cheaper way to get a large home battery to either store excess solar or charge up on a cheaper night rate. Yes it would degrade the battery quicker but if bought cheap enough it wouldn't be the same worry as buying new.

Home battery solutions seem very small and expensive in comparison. All I can find online is national schemes to use cars as renewable energy storage.

Latest quote calculated today as I thought be worth to see if anything changed from my quotes 6 months ago:
  • 4kW PV system (no storage) £5419 installation
  • Expect 3648 kWh/year return
  • £171 a year saving with current 28.3429p/kWh (Their calculation figure they using) mine is slightly less at 27.86p/kWh so would be less saving
  • £125 year payment from SEG, average of 4.1pkWh (Their figure on whole market return currently
  • Maintenance would be required around year 10 at £725
With those install costs and then return then it would take 21 year at April market price to make this viable! Even at a higher return I have seen calculated from some online calculators they are coming in at 19 year

Latest quote calculated today as I thought be worth to see if anything changed from my quotes 6 months ago:
  • 4kW PV system (no storage) £5419 installation
  • Expect 3648 kWh/year return
  • £171 a year saving with current 28.3429p/kWh (Their calculation figure they using) mine is slightly less at 27.86p/kWh so would be less saving
  • £125 year payment from SEG, average of 4.1pkWh (Their figure on whole market return currently
  • Maintenance would be required around year 10 at £725
With those install costs and then return then it would take 21 year at April market price to make this viable! Even at a higher return I have seen calculated from some online calculators they are coming in at 19 year

@Mickie

Are you not insulted by the fact you get 10p per Kwh back from the energy company. For them to now simply turn around and charge you 27p per kwh? lol

Get a battery, Don't send anything to the grid.

It seems like a massive dick move doesn't it. I know that your energy costs aren't purely the cost of the energy generation but it still seems crazy that they charge you 300% to essentially store that power for you for a short time.

I keep looking at solar myself but keep coming up with figures like @Curlyriff is stating. With a 20-year payback it's just not worth it for us.

The difference is if you are working from every day then you can be at £431 a year return meaning that with my energy use if that was case then it would be 13year return. I only work from home 1 day a week so it means my electric usage is mostly after 6pm when there is no sun and so the production is lost and I am just selling super cheap back to the grid most the time and that my awful return.

So you think okay I will add a battery to then store said created energy to use in evenings but the battery cost is another £4200 so then you add that to your initial outlay and even when I worked out my yearly return of £469 then you are back to 22 year investment return then.

Until a full system for a 4kWh PV and matching storage with battery backup is coming in at around £4499 then it really isn't viable. That rate of return is 10 year based on April pricing.

And again, what happens when the wind stops blowing or it is night time?

Look at UK generated wind power, it is not continuous the troughs are many.

By 2030 grid scale battery storage will be cheaper than hydro, and in another 5 grid-scale hydrogen storage. About 10-15 years before the first of the new nuclear power stations could come on line.

Nuclear is dead. The stations should have been builts 20 years but it is too late now. An entirely green renewable energy future will happen far quicer and far cheaper.

Nuclear is absolutely the last thing we need right now. It doesn't solve any problem with the energy crisis, will just burn through billions and billions before the projects are scrapped as renewable energy will be literally 100x cheaper than nuclear.

If the government wsnted tp they could help fast track massive wind generation and battery storage to be in place by next winter.

Back
Top Bottom