Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

How can they plan that it's going to go up again in October already?
The 1 October 2022 price cap change is based on wholesale energy rates from the beginning of February until the end of July. So we are already a few months through this assessment period, and wholesale energy prices are still very high - way above the current April price cap.

Last edited:
Induction hobs with discrete steps often have low frequency pulse width modulation on the power so it goes on and off (boils stops boiling - rinse&repeat..) manufacturers are far from transparent on this.

Really? Mine is a cheaper one (£260) and doesn't do this, I can't imagine what manufacturers are doing this to save a few pennies.

Growing number of people sharing and getting support for not paying.

Current trend seems to be getting a normal (non pre pay) and just not paying.
It's gathering momentum too. Not sure how popular it will get or how many people will actually try it but it's growing.

Like any debt that'd just make it more expensive. Unless you are over 80 I cant see the reasoning especially, ironic modern spoilt attitude sounds like

I purchased a new build recently and it comes with a 8 solar panel setup, no battery unfortunately but that would be an easy retrofit if needed. What was strange is not all houses have solar, our house was one of the lucky ones. It’s also got a fast charge EV point on the drive way. All the appliances are A+ and lighting is mostly LED. It has an induction hob which strangely I had to request to be changed from Gas, apparently new builds won’t be able to fit gas hobs in 2025. Of course being a new build its well insulated etc… the energy report is 85, no idea what more would get you A, 92+. This is my 3rd new build now and I do agree they seem very reactive to change the spec of houses.

Sounds good, I imagine not every house would receive direct sunlight from where its placed maybe thats why. To get the highest rating the house probably requires triple glazing and built like a thermos flask barely needing anything to maintain temps. a lot of old victorian housing require constant heat, everyone on this thread should have done full layers of insulation in a loft as its so easy to do. Harder to insulate walls properly etc.

UK's energy production fell to its lowest level in more than 50 years last year - providing strongest sign yet that British self-sufficiency is many years away (msn.com)

Last edited:
Growing number of people sharing and getting support for not paying.

Current trend seems to be getting a normal (non pre pay) and just not paying.
It's gathering momentum too. Not sure how popular it will get or how many people will actually try it but it's growing.
:rolleyes:
People not paying just the pushes the cost up further for everyone else.
Just the same as those who drive around without car insurance and crash.

That money needs to come from somewhere and it’s loaded onto everyone’s bills

My mum had 6 solar panels installed just before they ended the feed-in tariff, she gets 25p per kilowatt she feeds into the grid, usually ends up around £800 a year, and pretty much free electric in the day time, she hasn’t paid for any electric for around 5 years now so it’s pretty much paid for itself.

Seems very high for only 6 panels.

My mum had 6 solar panels installed just before they ended the feed-in tariff, she gets 25p per kilowatt she feeds into the grid, usually ends up around £800 a year, and pretty much free electric in the day time, she hasn’t paid for any electric for around 5 years now so it’s pretty much paid for itself.

Its a shame they ended that FIT. Was kind of hoping they would offer similar again then it would kick off uptake big time again.

indeed. the prices truly suck and I do have sympathy with those who simply cant afford to pay. listening to people choosing to feed their kids and skip food themselves because they are skint is heart breaking.

but those who can pay choosing not to because they think it costs too much and they will get away with it if they with hold cash just shafts those who do pay by putting prices up more.
apparently octopus have been losing up to £700 per year per customer on electricity recently. that is not sustainable.

that said seeing the government wasting (and writing off) billions due to corruption and ineptness, not to mention using every loop hole on the book to avoid paying tax etc does tempt me into thinking screw them.

normally I don't blame people for exploiting loopholes, after all if it is legal why not..... but when it is your job to manage the countries finances and you are in charge of those loopholes I am not so understanding.

I wonder how bad it will get.
These are people with nothing to lose. No need for a good credit file.
If a significant number of people don't even bother trying to pay thier bills the money will have to come from somewhere like you say.

Its a shame they ended that FIT. Was kind of hoping they would offer similar again then it would kick off uptake big time again.

It is kind of stupid though. It is using taxpayer's money to largely subsidise house owners, a lot of whom are middle class or wealthier.

Phasing out the electric car subsidy as well which is good.

The amount she gets paid?

Seems like a large amount of energy export and therefore total paid, £800 a year return on energy export for 6 panels, something like 3,200kWh generated, that seems to be massive amount for 6 panels and that's not even accounting for energy consumed by the house which is unable to be exported.

Given the cost of the system what's that a 4 /5 year payback period assuming £800 a year back? It also seems like a large amount of energy exported vs the potential energy generation for 6 panels.

Seems like a large amount of energy export and therefore total paid, £800 a year return on energy export for 6 panels, what's that a 4 /5 year payback period, it also seems like a large amount of energy exported vs the potential energy generation for 6 panels.

What is the maximum from 6 panels? £800 at 25p per kwh is 3200kwh (nearly 9 kwh per day). That does sound high to be fair, and probably more likely the theoretical maximum?

It is kind of stupid though. It is using taxpayer's money to largely subsidise house owners, a lot of whom are middle class or wealthier.

Phasing out the electric car subsidy as well which is good.

Yeah I see your point on that. What I meant is new grants/schemes should introduce a similar tariff as long as you qualify. You can easily put measures in to stop abuse or restrict. You could even force the FIT payment to just pay off the loaned installation and once its paid it you drop to a lesser value which is sustainable.

indeed. the prices truly suck and I do have sympathy with those who simply cant afford to pay. listening to people choosing to feed their kids and skip food themselves because they are skint is heart breaking.

but those who can pay choosing not to because they think it costs too much and they will get away with it if they with hold cash just shafts those who do pay by putting prices up more.
apparently octopus have been losing up to £700 per year per customer on electricity recently. that is not sustainable.

that said seeing the government wasting (and writing off) billions due to corruption and ineptness, not to mention using every loop hole on the book to avoid paying tax etc does tempt me into thinking screw them.

normally I don't blame people for exploiting loopholes, after all if it is legal why not..... but when it is your job to manage the countries finances and you are in charge of those loopholes I am not so understanding.

They won't get away with it, they'll end up with a visit from the utility supplier who remove the old meter and fits a prepayment meter with a hefty loading to recoup the unpaid bill.

Back
Top Bottom