Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Growing number of people sharing and getting support for not paying.

Current trend seems to be getting a normal (non pre pay) and just not paying.
It's gathering momentum too. Not sure how popular it will get or how many people will actually try it but it's growing.
It would just end in the energy company force fitting prepayment meters along with adding additional charges on top for the trouble. You can't just not pay. For people with a smart meter they will force mode change you to PAYG not even needing to go to the property and when your power goes off you can cry about it.

Also goodluck getting a non smart meter, they are not even installed anymore. Whether it works as a smart meter is a different matter lol

@Iraklis F.C. It probably means the system sell price. So if you had to buy on the spot market you’re only paying pennies. But it is likely the wind farms and solar have contracts for difference or feed in tariffs closer to the normal price for fossil generation.

Certainly that would be the equivalent in the UK.

@Iraklis F.C. It probably means the system sell price. So if you had to buy on the spot market you’re only paying pennies. But it is likely the wind farms and solar have contracts for difference or feed in tariffs closer to the normal price for fossil generation.

Certainly that would be the equivalent in the UK.

thanks for the reply, so if i understood this correctly it doesnt matter how much renewables contribute to the system, the price is fixed whatever happens?

excuse me for the offtopic but i have a question for those who know, today in Greece we had a windy and quite a sunny day, not a single cloud. So, there was in the news that between 14:45 and 17:50 the demand for electricity was 5.9GWh, because of the weather though output from solar farms, wind farms plus hydroelectric dams was 6.3GWh, so they said the price of electricity was 0.01 euros/MWh, because fossil fuel/ Gas powered power stations were shut down completely, practically free. Is this possible or is this some kind of PR or even BS from the press?

There is ramp up time from the grid to cope with demand so they have to balance this (otherwise you would get blackouts), not sure if Greece is different to other countries but the days rate doesn't reflect that when fuel is bought in advance to use i.e. in the UK if we had a lovely sunny day and tons of wind the savings are not passed on to the consumer where we get a rebate from our renewable farms out there!

Basically we get the odd bulletin shared saying "we went x number of days where we did not need the usual power generators and more or less ran off wind".

Its nice to know this but when the calm days hit you have to have a plan B.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journey-to-net-zero-stories/2020-greenest-year-record-britain

It's all a bit catch 22. Pre COVID, most houses were empty in the day with people at work, now, a large proportion of the workforce are either still WFH or hybrid, which means the house is using more electric and gas each day. So, don't forget to claim from your employer, or the taxman, your WFH allowance.

Additionally, our house fully powers off each night, even the fridge/freezer yet this is the cheapest time to use electricity. The house is solar supplemented, but obviously that only really benefits us midday in the middle of summer.

standby appliances amplifiers - has anyone kept theirs on 24/7 despite energy cost ? I'm more concerned about reduced lifespan fom power cycling, even if that cost a few pounds a month, naim say leave their stuff on more for the potential sound improvement from being warmed up, too, not so worried about that aspect.

I don't understand how it works but am interested in the real world scenarios of it. I'm looking to pick up a new hifi in some form but when some quote 10w idle power i'll certainly be turning it off. Richer Sounds' 6yr warranty will certainly be reassuring at least. 10yrs on my pc's psu so time will tell with that too.

a big switch off when hardly anyone is probably using much electric anyway

shouldn't they do it at prime time where you put every light on in the house etc and just keep switching the main box off every 2 minutes for 20 minutes.

sure have more of an impact on the grid
Haha, it really won't, the domestic market is fairly tiny part of the power draw of the grid.

Even if you switch on and off every house in the UK you'll just **** off your distributor at best at worse **** up anything frequency related in that feed.

There's a reason why gas is king, a ccgt can go from unloaded to fully loaded in next to no time what's so ever.

I can easily imagine a situation where utility technicians would face significant threat of violence if they were to try to force their way into people's homes to change their meters. There is already comically low levels of police and all you would need is a big enough mob to prevent the technicians from doing anything.

There would need to be a way to completely cut off electricity and gas without stepping onto anyone's premises (and preferably not even have to be on the same road either).

They're used to it. A work colleagues wife used to work for British Gas a few years a go doing exactly this, from what I remember it can be quite a long winded process and regularly turn up to an address with police presence if they'd encountered any hostility on a previous visit.

Its pre arranged with engineer visits site and waits in the van nearby. If its high debt or the customer has form then more resources will be on standby but generally one person as post above says for utility will try to discuss over the phone or face to face before it gets to that. When the guys are on site ready to disconnect you tend to see the customer start complying. Some days them jobs are cancelled as the customer pays up before schedule.

Everyone bemoaning a small price hike but still keeping their Spotify, Apple music, Amazon prime and Netflix subscriptions on full whack.

100% price hike compared to my fixed that finished and have cancelled all of them. Seems a large number have dropped services as such.

And all those services are still less than the increase cost in gas and electric just to compare.

I've joined this Facebook group with these nutters.

It's quite amazing some of the stuff being spouted.

Popular opinion seems to be its 'them' (politicians) Deciding to charge us more.

Or

I know the gas is going up but why the electric?

Or

If I don't pay they can't do anything

The main thing these people can't seem to gather is that fossil fuels are used to generate electricity.
And that these fossil fuels are a commodity traded across the world.

It's quite an eye opener to see how blinkered so many people are.

One of the scary things is people promoting to others (some of who obviously have mortgages) that if you don't pay 'they' can't do anything.
Probably going to be people screw themselves over with this.

I've put one of the posts in the spoiler
bkoKSkS.jpg

. The house is solar supplemented, but obviously that only really benefits us midday in the middle of summer.

sounds like you need a better solar system if you really only get the benefit at peak times... (unless you have bad roof location or unfortunate shading.

I was hoping today would be my 1st net exporter of energy day of the year, and that is with bitcoin mining 24/7 with a 3090 GPU as well.

unfortunately it's not looking that way now as the Mrs decided to do 2 loads of washing tonight and tumble dried 1 but I will break even. we exported 8kwh. and so far have imported 7kw/h with 20 mins to go to midnight.

consumption so far is 20kwh and we generated 21.

the battery is what really elevates the system.

Back
Top Bottom