Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

realy need appliances that warm up slower with good insulation

This is an interesting point.
I swear the benefits of a higher rated dishwasher comes from insulation.
The quartz above ours gets hot to touch when on a 95 degree wash, and the better ones seem less noisy, well they would with more insulation wouldnt they!

I've been meaning to retrofit some more insulation to our dishwasher, just never got round to it.

yeah. there is a dedicated thread about such systems . I love mine. in winter combined with octopus go off peak the battery saves me a lot of money then spring, summer autumn a combination of solar and battery keeps me off peak electricity all the time. only snag apparently octopus are clamping down on who is allowed octopus go . I missed my chance to get a nissan leaf at mates rates and now all batter car prices have shot up. I will find out in just over a week if I get to stay on my octopus go.

edit ... ninja'd

Mike, phone them and tell them you have a battery that you charge up on the go rate, and use that to offset the electric you pull from the grid during peak demand.

2.8W - 25W

So, for anyone who actually wants to feel it, its 25W.

So not what it really claims to be tbh

Its most things being claimed/marketed as being eco but there nothing eco about the price, £79.99 down from £130. :eek:

Its like when everyone was screaming about how heat pumps where going to save the world but dont realise that most heat pumps can be used as a air conditioner also so what do you think people are going to do with them during the summer months.

Mike, phone them and tell them you have a battery that you charge up on the go rate, and use that to offset the electric you pull from the grid during peak demand.

Officially GO is only for owners of EV cars - home battery systems alone aren't justifcation for the GO tariff (I contacted them and directly asked about it). Historically Octopus were happy to take your word on it if you said you owned an EV, but I've seen mention of them requesting evidence of ownership for new contracts / renewals.

Its most things being claimed/marketed as being eco but there nothing eco about the price, £79.99 down from £130. :eek:

Its like when everyone was screaming about how heat pumps where going to save the world but dont realise that most heat pumps can be used as a air conditioner also so what do you think people are going to do with them during the summer months.

You realise the practicalities don't allow this right? Air conditioning requires you to get rid of condensate. I don't know about you, but people don't really like their radiators turning into waterfalls. Thats even if your sytem will allow it which almost all will not when they are tied into water based heating systems, ie radiators due to risk of freezing and breaking things.

if home heat pumps are reversible - do you get chilled water running through the radiators .. hmmh
e: previous post in same sense

if they won't let me stay on it I will. my main issue at moment is getting in touch. they are snowed under I guess. but I was apparently meant to get a months notice that my go faster is coming to an end and to click on a link if I want to stay on it. if I don't click that link I move over to variable rate.... however I never got the email. I have sent 3 mails so far over the last 2 weeks and no response as yet.
I genuinely don't remember them ever asking me if I had an electric car. Not saying I would not have lied had they of asked me but I don't think they ever did. Honestly I think it is silly that home batteries don't count. if the point is they want to push energy use from peak to off peak then a home battery is just as good at that as charging a car off peak.

if home heat pumps are reversible - do you get chilled water running through the radiators .. hmmh
e: previous post in same sense

No, the only ‘reversible’ heat pumps are traditional air conditioners. Aka an air to air heat hump.

Air to water and ground to water heat pumps which replace traditional central heating are not reversible and can only heat.

Currently on £268 variable rate but have been offered 2 year fixed at £350 pm should I take it?
personally... and this is just me. I could be wrong... but if I didn't have a home battery to push my energy use To an off peak tarrif or an electric car to charge off peak .... I would stay on the variable stuck to the price cap . ultimately tho who knows for sure ?

don't forget when it comes to fixed. octopus don't lock you into a fixed contract. the fix ties them in but you are free to leave at any time. don't forget to get a referral that way you and the person who refers you get £50.

Last edited by a moderator:
So to help with the increase in energy cost I cancelled sky TV. It was costing me 60 quid a month and using that money for energy increases made up for it.

Sky was switched off yesterday so as a stop gap before I get a loft antenna in I thought I'd get an "indoor" antenna off the rain forest to see if that would tie me over. It cost 18 quid and I had reserved judgements.

It arrived today and I plugged it into my TV really not expecting a lot. Auto tune came up with 110 Freeview channels and 30 odd radio stations. RESULT!!

To top it all off I can plug a flash drive into a usb slot on the TV and it will record programmes to it. I must say, it's exceeded my expectations!

So to help with the increase in energy cost I cancelled sky TV. It was costing me 60 quid a month and using that money for energy increases made up for it.

Sky was switched off yesterday so as a stop gap before I get a loft antenna in I thought I'd get an "indoor" antenna off the rain forest to see if that would tie me over. It cost 18 quid and I had reserved judgements.

It arrived today and I plugged it into my TV really not expecting a lot. Auto tune came up with 110 Freeview channels and 30 odd radio stations. RESULT!!

To top it all off I can plug a flash drive into a usb slot on the TV and it will record programmes to it. I must say, it's exceeded my expectations!

I think a lot of people are moving back to freeview, and just getting netflix/disney/nowtv. You aren't locked into an 18 month contract either, which is great.

I was with sky for 25+ years don't miss out one bit.

Netflix and prime loads to watch. I also like Pluto TV for old TV shows. Myth busters is always in there.

Back
Top Bottom