Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

In all honestly I'd be happy with a mileage charge too, based on street level pollution output of course :)

It's effectively what fuel tax is anyway. If it was fixed unlike fuel tax government would have a fairly known quantity of income from it.

Something has to change. But you also need to incetivise EVs. So yeah would need an emissions multiplier

It makes perfect sense. No more having to drive out to find a patrol station. No more wasting missive amount of time filling up. Always pulling off the drive with a full tank.

I don't want an eV. The battery capacity isn't enough. When you do a lot of rural driving last thing want is to try and find eV charging points. A lot of places we stay wouldn't have this.

For some people it really isn't viable yet.

I want to want one.

Main negatives :
-Rural driving and long distances
-Staying in remote locations with no power supply
-upfront cost/depreciation
-doing few miles with the above

Radio 4 today article about the new electricity pylon routes to london from the norfolk/suffolk wind farms -
several nimby interviews, if they are the new style pylons and, they don't hum, can't see they would be too detrimental, maybe the new ones aren't for the supergrid 750Kv though.

I don't want an eV. The battery capacity isn't enough. When you do a lot of rural driving last thing want is to try and find eV charging points. A lot of places we stay wouldn't have this.

For some people it really isn't viable yet.

I want to want one.

Main negatives :
-Rural driving and long distances
-Staying in remote locations with no power supply
-upfront cost/depreciation
-doing few miles with the above
Rural driving is not a negative, its a positive if anything. Around where there is no problem charging up in rural areas and most people who live in rural areas have a drive way so they just charge up once a week. If anything its easier to charge up in many rural areas. As rural areas tend to have an abundance of drive ways, race tracks, horse yards, carven sites e.c.t all with charge points. Depreciation isn't a massive problem with EV's they tend to stay valuable for a long time. I have been monitoring Leaf prices and the 2nd hand market has gone up not down.
How many people stay in remote locations without a power supply for extended amounts of time? Even camp sites tend to have spots to charge EV's and huts in the middle of the woods have generators. More remote areas have caravan sites which have bay after bay to charge up the EV's and caravans. I am sure there are some situations where EV's are not suitable and I get that they are not viable for some people but your talking very niche use cases. Not enough to say ev just don't make sense living in the country side as for many people they make good sense in the country side.

Octopus demanding proof of an ev may well be in anticipation of chancellor taxing ev energy , which is really, only fair;
you have a default vat charge unless you provide details of actual units used.
Regardless, if they can afford to provide this electric to EV owners then they can do so for everyone, or at the very least offer a off peak better than E7.

What was the advantages of 30 minute reading smart meters again?

There are no negatives to rural driving, I just don’t get that argument. If you live in a low density rural area, you are highly likely to have off street parking.

Most modern EVs have 150+ miles of real world range, the average daily mileage is under 25. Even if you live in a rural area and commute 90 mins each way by car, you’ll not be doing 150+ miles a day, you’d be luckily to average more than 50mph at peek times.

I also don’t get how ‘not enough range’ and ‘I don’t do enough miles to justify the extra cost’ can possibly be used in the same list.

EV depreciation for the next 10-15 years will be lower than ICE because of the transition to EV. No one will want an OCE car in 5-10 years but only a fraction of cars sold were EV this year. There is huge demand in the used EV space and they command a huge premium over ice.

What was the advantages of 30 minute reading smart meters again?

Time of use pricing, and yes generally speaking it’s a positive thing. At the end of the day, an average household using an average amount of electricity, with an average distribution throughout the day shouldn’t pay any more under a time of use pricing model, because that’s what the flat rate is based on.

It’s also really good for nudging unnecessary use out of peak times which reduces the peak rate for everyone.

I'm not talking about day to day life. I'm talking about going off on camping holidays. Where there really isn't always power. About 1/2 places I've stayed would have had access to power. It's just not there yet for me.
If I did a lot of miles I could probably get around this point it's true by going to different places

But more it's the depreciation when you don't do many miles.
Petrol cars second hand are so so cheap it's going to be a while before an eV makes financial sense for a WFH type

I hope next car will be an eV but I expect I'll run current car into the ground first.

There are no negatives to rural driving, I just don’t get that argument. If you live in a low density rural area, you are highly likely to have off street parking.

Most modern EVs have 150+ miles of real world range, the average daily mileage is under 25. Even if you live in a rural area and commute 90 mins each way by car, you’ll not be doing 150+ miles a day, you’d be luckily to average more than 50mph at peek times.

I also don’t get how ‘not enough range’ and ‘I don’t do enough miles to justify the extra cost’ can possibly be used in the same list.

EV depreciation for the next 10-15 years will be lower than ICE because of the transition to EV. No one will want an OCE car in 5-10 years but only a fraction of cars sold were EV this year. There is huge demand in the used EV space and they command a huge premium over ice.

Some people don't drive far in the week but then do trips on the weekend, not always to places to charge points.

When they standardise the battery's and allow hot swapping, then they'll be good.

Some people don't drive far in the week but then do trips on the weekend, not always to places to charge points.

When they standardise the battery's and allow hot swapping, then they'll be good.

You’ve literally just described my vehicle use, and I own a BEV. I live in a rural area and my mileage is really sporadic due to not needing it to commute currently. As much as 40% of my energy use can be on the public network in given month if I am doing a long trip. Sometimes it’s nothing, it depends how far I go. Doing 450 miles is two 20 min stops in an 8-9 hour drive. By the time you’ve walked to the services and had a pee, the cars only a few minutes from being ready to go. If you queue up at costa, it will be ready long before you are.

They’ll never standardise batteries due to the diversity of vehicles on the market. You don’t want your van to be pootling around with a 40kwh pack because that’s all you can fit in a fiat 500. In reality you’d need a range of packs due to the packaging and requirements of different vehicles.

You’ll need stocks of packs ready to go at swapping stations multiples by the number of different sized packs for different vehicles. Swapping one battery for one car is simple, serving a wide range of cars is much more difficult. That makes a battery swapping station a huge expensive and complex facility. It’s highly inefficient and your saving minutes on a journey lasting 4+ hours.

If you want to use a swapping station it also means you can’t really own the battery, so you’ll be leasing it for the life of the car at an additional expense.

Cars spend most of their time parked, the need for swapping only really covers long trips and frankly, it’s just not a viable business model compared to DC charging for 20 mins to get you where you need to go.

I'm not talking about day to day life. I'm talking about going off on camping holidays. Where there really isn't always power. About 1/2 places I've stayed would have had access to power. It's just not there yet for me.
If I did a lot of miles I could probably get around this point it's true by going to different places

But more it's the depreciation when you don't do many miles.
Petrol cars second hand are so so cheap it's going to be a while before an eV makes financial sense for a WFH type

I hope next car will be an eV but I expect I'll run current car into the ground first.
Not sure we are using the same meaning of depreciation or using it in the same way. At the moment depreciation for EV's is better then for ICE cars when you don't do many miles. EV'd don't depreciate anywhere near as bad as ICE cars do which is a positive thing for EV's.

Around here I found its the other way around EV points at camping holidays are very common, so common I don't remember the last time I didn't see a spot to charge up. But I guess the situation changes depending on which part of the UK we are talking about. In the midlands in rural areas there shouldn't be any problem at all on camping holidays in the woods.

Not sure we are using the same meaning of depreciation or using it in the same way. At the moment depreciation for EV's is better then for ICE cars when you don't do many miles. EV'd don't depreciate anywhere near as bad as ICE cars do which is a positive thing for EV's.

Around here I found its the other way around EV points at camping holidays are very common, so common I don't remember the last time I didn't see a spot to charge up. But I guess the situation changes depending on which part of the UK we are talking about. In the midlands in rural areas there shouldn't be any problem at all on camping holidays in the woods.

To be fair I haven't looked so I may be wrong. But there are definitely spots I've been to that don't. That's not to say something around the corner does.

By depreciate I kind of mean EVs are so new they depreciate quite quickly. You can't really get an old enough one where depreciation is negligible. Old petrol cars barely depreciate as you can get old enough decent ones.
I wasn't clear on that one.

That's when I'm hoping to make the switch. When the newer better EVs come down in price on second hand market.

I do want an eV. Obviously they are the future. But with so few miles and use that makes it inconvenient to annoying its just not there for me yet.

But I'm an outlier. I'm sure if price was right 9/10 people would have one now.

I'm actually going to look now and see what's second hand. Not looked in a year or more.

Back
Top Bottom