Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Filling up takes minutes not hours
If you are sitting around waiting for an EV to charge then you are doing it wrong.
I charge at home whilst I sleep, or charge on a public charger whilst I’m eating/drinking or taking a comfort break.

This basically means it’s more convenient than filling up with petrol - it’s takes about 5 seconds to plug the cable in, rather than drive into a special place, hold a nozzle into the car for a few mins, then queue to pay (skip the last step with contactless payment).
Not to mention having hands that smell of fuel afterwards.

Lets just forget the fact that EV is stupid expensive for the upfront cost that most people cant afford.
Finance/lease is a big no at least to me, I don't like not owning my own property. Bought my 2017 plate (first car) for just under £9000 last year, now the same car sells for £11k for some reason.

Think this thread went off on a tangent again :D

"What are you doing or what do you suggest we do to combat the energy prices and the cost of living"
"Spend £20,000+ on an EV duuh!!!"

"What are you doing or what do you suggest we do to combat the energy prices and the cost of living"
Well £10k but your right this should really be more about the energy costs of an EV with the new prices rather then the none energy stuff we have been talking about. Has anyone done the math of how much an EV "Tank" costs to fill up now?

I've always driven small hatchbacks. I'll never want to spend more than 10k on a 3-4 year old car - so I'll be keeping my petrol until it's no longer serviceable and then replace it with whatever is available on the market (diesel, petrol, hybrid or full electric) for the price I want and can afford to pay.

**** paying 20k for a Corsa.

At the end of the day its this.
Unless you do a lot of miles a car that is petrol can be had for under 1k easily.
Cheapest EVs seem to be 10x this.

It's going to take a damn lot of miles to make the numbers work.

If you need a new car that's different. But if you need A car..a old petrol is still the winner on low milage

Wow, that's just insane when you think about!
It is insane, but then you need to factor in the cost of the car in the first place and how many years it would be to break even with a petrol (at what point are you saving money with a EV) I'm sure someone has done the maths somewhere. If you have a silly amount of cash sitting around unlike most the country then yeah EV is probably viable.

For me my petrol car cost £8800 or so last year, I only do about 5000 miles a year if that. Fill the tank every 5-6 weeks or so currently at about £60 for a full tank which gets me about 350 miles or so.

Last edited:
It is insane, but then you need to factor in the cost of the car in the first place and how many years it would be to break even with a petrol. I'm sure someone has done the maths somewhere. If you have a silly amount of cash sitting around unlike most the country then yeah EV is probably viable.
The car costs me less than my previous diesel because the BIK tax is just 2% vs 26% (520d Touring).

Means I’m paying £25 per month tax for the EV vs £350 per month on the BMW

Last edited:
Will still be cheaper than petrol / diesel but just won't stay as cheap as it is now.
Home charging will be cheap for a while yet- off peak tarrifs aren’t disappearing anytime soon.
Also, I’m getting solar installed from next month, so during the summer most of my charging will come free from that.

It is insane, but then you need to factor in the cost of the car in the first place and how many years it would be to break even with a petrol (at what point are you saving money with a EV) I'm sure someone has done the maths somewhere. If you have a silly amount of cash sitting around unlike most the country then yeah EV is probably viable.

For me my petrol car cost £8800 or so last year, I only do about 5000 miles a year if that. Fill the tank every 5-6 weeks or so currently at about £60 for a full tank which gets me about 350 miles or so.
I worked out my break even time to be 6 years (sone man maths involved), I had an e92 M3, so road tax, warranty, fuel and servicing probably worked our to be 500 a month (I owned the car outright), for me ev makes sense but for a lot of people in economical and/or cheap cars they just don't. Will be interesting in August when my fixed ends, as my yearly leccy usage is about doubled with charging a car (obviously still less than petrol).

Home charging will be cheap for a while yet- off peak tarrifs aren’t disappearing anytime soon.
Also, I’m getting solar installed from next month, so during the summer most of my charging will come free from that.
At some point all that lost fuel duty will need to be accounted for though, be it pay per mile or some sort of ev charge tax. The government isn't just going to let it go.

The car costs me less than my previous diesel because the BIK tax is just 2% vs 26% (520d Touring).

Means I’m paying £25 per month tax for the EV vs £350 per month on the BMW
Most people don't have to worry about the BIK because they don't have a company behind their £50k EV.

But then what did the car cost? :)
it’s actually cheaper than any equivalent diesel/petrol car with the same power :)
- An Audi RS3 is a smaller car and costs £6k more for the same spec and power/performance.
- BMW M340 is about £3k more

So saving money on the car, fuel and running costs :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom