Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Pre-heating also helps to eliminate edge cases with pathogens, etc. while in most cases they won't have replicated by any significant amount due to warming up slower before the food is heated to a level which kills them and the food will still be cooked long enough to deal with them, it is still safer in that respect if relevant to what you are cooking.

(Though usually if it is bad enough to be a problem you'll know long before cooking)

*UK Chancellor Rishi Sunak Orders Plan for Windfall Tax on Electricity Generators — FT
https://www.ft.com/content/ddbde592-a4e0-465a-9dd2-d6566790403f
N2MYRsB.png
7994EpJ.png
Ln5fqqc.png
It will be interesting to see how that effects investment and maintenance. The reliable fossil fuel electricity generation industry has been on short rations for a very long time. Low investment and low profits. You look at the age profile of the generating assets in that sectors and they are largely in the end of life and will need investment to extend.

I reckon this winter is already going to be squeaky bum time so it will be interesting to see how that affects Government policy next year.

Pre-heating also helps to eliminate edge cases with pathogens, etc. while in most cases they won't have replicated by any significant amount due to warming up slower before the food is heated to a level which kills them and the food will still be cooked long enough to deal with them, it is still safer in that respect if relevant to what you are cooking.

(Though usually if it is bad enough to be a problem you'll know long before cooking)
Wow, ever thought of pathogens. Where do you shop from from? :cry:

We have a gas oven which heats up pretty quickly. I turn it on just before I head to the freezer to take whatever it is I am about to cook out. So pre heat is only a minute or two. I find that is perfectly fine. Electric ovens can take a lot longer to heat up from my experience.

I don’t have gas in my property
Bet you do after eating some baked beans.

It will be interesting to see how that effects investment and maintenance. The reliable fossil fuel electricity generation industry has been on short rations for a very long time. Low investment and low profits. You look at the age profile of the generating assets in that sectors and they are largely in the end of life and will need investment to extend.

I reckon this winter is already going to be squeaky bum time so it will be interesting to see how that affects Government policy next year.

Energy companies would have been expecting it for a while anyway seens how other European countries have been charging windfall taxes

Most energy companies have more money that they know what do with

I can say without hesitation that if my mum hadn't already passed last year, this coming winter would see her and her partner choosing between food and heating without help from myself, it's a sad state of affairs.

Yep welcome to Tory Britain
Work houses will be on the come back next year no doubt

Worse thing is, Ive joked about this before, for some people they would probably actually be attractive. I never actually thought it would get to the point where,

I mean once your struggling to pay your rent, can only get food from food banks, can't really afford to heat/cook the idea of a place where they take most of that stress away from you actually starts to look appealing!

Many years ago, a lot of jobs came with accommodation, there were a lot of old terraces where I grew up, quite close to the town centre that were for various jobs that were not well paid but by being given decent (in comparision to what many had) accommodation they were ok.
There were cottages for the maltings, the gas workers, the water workers etc
Its quite surprising how that was actually a thing.

What does the future hold if this is the new normal?

It will genuinely cripple the country.
Can't see a way out. Sure you can tax the oil companies profits a bit. But it's still not enough.

Truely a game changer. There will be civil unrest for sure Without help.

This isn't houses and stock market crashes. This is a huge amount of people who would have been fine 2 or 3 years ago plunged into heat or eat.

Hardest thing is I don't see a way out of the pain? All government can do is move tax around.

Back
Top Bottom