Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

It's a decision that person didn't need to make, they had 7 cars in the drive way and have a 22kw charging point being installed in a few weeks (currently charging it with 3 pin plug extension from the garage)

They were in a position where they could replace most of their vehicles with electric if availability wasn't an issue. In saying that if you were looking at buying a new car today, and had a drive way/garage. It would be worth while paying a bit more for an EV. The only viable excuse would be if you did regular long distance commutes, where a single charge wouldn't be sufficient to cover it. Obviously if you were in the market for a BMW 5 series, or a Mercedes E-Class, then Tesla would be around the same price range and likely save you thousands a year in running costs and almost certainly save a fortune in fuel.

For me my car was £9000 last year bought it outright its good enough for what I need (2017 plate) . I fill it up once every 35-40 days or so at currently around £62-65quid. I only do about 10miles daily, 5 days a week. EV is just not feasible at all. I was tempted when I was buying but the over double/triple upfront cost just didn't make sense.

My 207 was 3k. It needs filling once every 3 weeks in winter. Probably every 2 in summer (more beach trips etc).
So also electric doesn't make sense.

I also want one next. But I think I'll Run this car into the ground. May even get a van before an eV the way my life is going

I was talking to a customer yesterday who just took delivery of a VW e-golf a week ago, they were absolutely shocked at how much cheaper it was to run in comparison to their previous petrol golf. Specially now with petrol being minimum £1.88 around here in Devon. It also has the added bonus of being way faster than their old car as well.

Without monthly payments of both cars, it's hard to determine which would be cheaper overall

Without monthly payments of both cars, it's hard to determine which would be cheaper overall

Yeah its this that is so important.

Everyone knows an electric is cheaper to run.
But you can get a 2nd hand petrol so cheap if you don't do the miles the choice is more difficult

Yeah, the poster casually overlooks that a Golf-E has a £30k OTR price tag.

At current fuel prices my ICE car costs me ~ £2,600 per year in fuel (10000 miles, 35mpg average). The expected lifetime of an EV is ~ 10 years, so it doesn't actually make financial sense to swap for an EV unless you need to retire your ICE car anyway.

I don't casually overlook anything, I said this person was in a position to buy that vehicle without thinking about it.

How come there are EV's that are 12+ years old and still perfectly fine if they only have a 10 year lifetime (which is complete BS)

BMW 3 Series ~£400-600 a month
Tesla Model 3 ~£400-600 a month

A 3 Series 330e M Sport will set you back ~£606 a month
A 3 Series 330i M Sport will set you back ~£490 a month
A Tesla Model 3 Performance will set you back ~£622 a month

These are leasing costs from a random car leasing company found with google search based 48 months and 5,000 miles p.a

So roughly a ~£130 difference per month with the ICE or ~£20 with the hybrid, when you factor in the additional costs of a ICE like VED, fuel costs and maintenance. The EV is still cheaper.

Last edited:
The model 3 performance is also considerably faster. The better comparison would be the slightly cheaper long range model.

As for EVs only lasting 10 years, the battery in my BEV is rated for over 2000 charge cycles, that’s near as damn it 500k miles. I think I’ll be fine ;)

Also just have a look at all the ancient Prius’ still on the roads, the taxi companies don’t have them up at 250k miles because they are unreliable.

The model 3 performance is also considerably faster. The better comparison would be the slightly cheaper long range model.

If you go for the Model 3 long range, its a no brainer imho. As said before if your in a position to afford it why the hell not.

Obviously those that cannot afford a new or high end car well, sucks to be you I guess.

I watched this a while ago and its timestamped at the part where it discusses battery longevity and it seems the type of thermal/cooling management plays a big part in battery life as shown in the comparrison between the Nissan Leaf and Tesla.

After 6-8 years the leaf went to about 70% on average and the Tesla went to 90% average.

My knowledge in EV's is bad so I'm sure with later models the battery tech would be better in newer cars.

If you go for the Model 3 long range, its a no brainer imho. As said before if your in a position to afford it why the hell not.

Obviously those that cannot afford a new or high end car well, sucks to be you I guess.

Well the price has gone up over £7k in 6 months, not so much a no brainer anymore.

cutting back at the local retail park ? you could be spending more on food at the supermarket because you are not eating out as much ?
but haven't seen any article on reduced expenditure at retaurants/pubs/cinemas - those will be first against the wall,
overhearing negotiation at local leaisure centre they are now giving a locked (but inflated) rate for next 2 years

Tesla must be confident on demand versus competitors to put the prices up, in the usa at least where they themselves lease and take-back cars, that's supporting second hand tesla values (by increasing new one prices) cynically, that bootstraps their business.

cutting back at the local retail park ? you could be spending more on food at the supermarket because you are not eating out as much ?
but haven't seen any article on reduced expenditure at retaurants/pubs/cinemas - those will be first against the wall,
overhearing negotiation at local leaisure centre they are now giving a locked (but inflated) rate for next 2 years

Tesla must be confident on demand versus competitors to put the prices up, in the usa at least where they themselves lease and take-back cars, that's supporting second hand tesla values (by increasing new one prices) cynically, that bootstraps their business.
Which demographic are tesla's typical customers?

This place has none of these. Flannels, Next, Nike, TK Maxx, Furniture Village, Currys. The only essential shops are Boots and M&S
You seem to think these shops will be ghost towns and nobody will be spending anything. People's circumstances vary wildy, sure many are finding it tough but others will be totally fine and carry on spending. As someone said, a lot of people have cash savings they didn't blow on things like.holidays etc during covid. Yes it is tough for many but not everyone is destitute or on the poverty line.

Back
Top Bottom