Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Can anyone explain to me why petrol and diesel prices are so high despite the price of crude oil being well of any record high (less then $110 a barrel) and the government handing down a 5p per litre tax cut? Is it just greed or am I missing something?
The value of the pound makes oil more expensive today than it was when the oil price was higher in $$$. (Did you see this posted on facebook or something? I see lots of people saying about oil prices and greed with no idea of the context.)

5p duty cut is ridiculous, it was never going to do anything. With the recent increases the govt is raking in more cash via VAT, its a smokescreen to look like they are doing something. Also oil price is not everything, it has to be refined and there is only limited capacity which has pushed the price up further.

BoE is so screwed.
Even as a home owner I feel they need to increase rates. Right now the weakness of the pound is probably doing similar damage in terms of raising household costs as an increased rate rise.

Obviously this isn't the case for FTBers where mortgage values are through the roof. But as time goes on you'd hope people are fixing long term so future rate hikes will hurt fewer and fewer people.

BoE is so screwed.
Even as a home owner I feel they need to increase rates. Right now the weakness of the pound is probably doing similar damage in terms of raising household costs as an increased rate rise.

Obviously this isn't the case for FTBers where mortgage values are through the roof. But as time goes on you'd hope people are fixing long term so future rate hikes will hurt fewer and fewer people.
There is also business loans and other types of consumer debt? Screwed either way sadly. Rate rises probably defers the pain until later though (at least for home owners, private renters not so sure, given how quick my LL was to hit me with a massive rise), as a weaker pound will show impact earlier.

There is also business loans and other types of consumer debt? Screwed either way sadly. Rate rises probably defers the pain until later though (at least for home owners, private renters not so sure, given how quick my LL was to hit me with a massive rise), as a weaker pound will show impact earlier.

Yes. Be a lot of unsecured debt and I'm sure numerous other scenarios I just don't know about.

Screwed either way.

A friend is looking for rentals. Right now. They are so much more from 2 years ago. And demand is insane.

More people are paying 6 months up front to secure

the pound:gbp is about the same as 2016 how much was petrol then
Crude was £36(jan)-£50(dec) a barrel in 2016

According to the RAC petrol was on average
£1.02 litre (jan)
£1.17 litre (dec)

Yes. Be a lot of unsecured debt and I'm sure numerous other scenarios I just don't know about.

Screwed either way.

A friend is looking for rentals. Right now. They are so much more from 2 years ago. And demand is insane.

More people are paying 6 months up front to secure
:/

cornwall insights company, who martin lewis worships, just throw out these cap projections without disclosing any working out/assumptions ...
what changed ? projections of winter weather, gas that norway will (not) give us, LNG terminal out of action

April (left) June (right)

52165111604_f7af9fede5_o_d.jpg

(

Yet @Energize thinks the government are pushing up RPI to increase the interest on student loans when that interest will never be paid by the vast majority.

You start paying back student loans at £27k, that's not the top 1% lol. It doesn't matter if not all students pay off the loan, many students do and they will feel be paying that interest back.

cornwall insights company, who martin lewis worships, just throw out these cap projections without disclosing any working out/assumptions ...
what changed ? projections of winter weather, gas that norway will (not) give us, LNG terminal out of action

April (left) June (right)

52165111604_f7af9fede5_o_d.jpg

(
It won't be coming down anytime soon

Always expected a 3k figure. It's not going down anytime soon. Sub 3k was always optimistic and would have needed positive news from russia-ukraine

Back
Top Bottom