Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

5-6 years. Really. That's is way above average BTW if it's even true. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels/
Yep - it helps I’m on a electricity tariff with a cheap overnight rate (Octopus Go), so when there is no solar (E.g. November to March) I can still run the house on cheap energy (7.5p vs 30p+) by charging the battery and using that energy.

Also some excess solar between April to October charging my car.

So in my scenario solar & battery will be saving me about £200 per month.
[Plus the benefit of running A/C for free during the summer]

Last edited:
It is based on the current price cap unchanged since April so it is up to date.
It just misses out a lot of other savings solar provides - E.g. heating hot water through solar saves me about £300 per year.
Also, not all benefits are financial. From now I’m a lot less exposed to energy price changes and in control of my own energy costs.

Does your home battery bank (when full ) fully charge your car?
No - my home battery is 10 kWh and the car battery is 75 kWh. (Batteries are expensive and cars need a lot of energy :cry:)
The only time my car will be taking solar power is when there is excess during the summer, and only because it doesn’t make sense selling it back for 4-5p kWh when it costs 7.5 to 30p+ to buy it.

Selling is the last resort option, after the home battery and car are fully charged.

Yep - it helps I’m on a electricity tariff with a cheap overnight rate (Octopus Go), so when there is no solar (E.g. November to March) I can still run the house on cheap energy (7.5p vs 30p+) by charging the battery and using that energy.

Also some excess solar between April to October charging my car.

So in my scenario solar & battery will be saving me about £200 per month.
[Plus the benefit of running A/C for free during the summer]

For anyone working out the break even point of their own solar/battery install I'd definitely recommend discounting anything regarding topping up on the ultra cheap night time rates; Octopus Go etc.

Very unlikely those tariffs will remain.

I'd love to see a 5 year payback as that's easy access low interest loan territory.
That’s what I did - a low interest £12k loan over 6 years. The monthly loan payments are about the same as monthly savings on my energy bill. Of course, there is more difference to make up in Winter vs Summer and the energy price will come down a little but it’s not going to break the bank.

I'd love to see a 5 year payback as that's easy access low interest loan territory.

I paid 6k for my solar panel install plus another £500 for an eddi hot water diverter so £6.5k all in. £5k is coming via a 10 year interest free loan which will cost me about £42 a month. Based on my math I'll save at current prices about £800 a year. This gives me a payback period of around 8 years, this will be reduced if prices go up for any length of time but will increase if prices fall.

However, as the panels should last for at least 25 years and a replacement inverter isn't too much then it's a no brainer. The good thing about the loan is it's less than the savings so I'll see an immediate overall cost benefit from day 1 if you exclude the £1500 I paid out my own pocket with savings.

Solar should be a no brainer really if you have a suitable roof.

ETA, I've not factored in any SEG payments yet into my calcs and the £500 for the eddi included a hub and harvi.

For anyone working out the break even point of their own solar/battery install I'd definitely recommend discounting anything regarding topping up on the ultra cheap night time rates; Octopus Go etc.

Very unlikely those tariffs will remain.
Based on what data?
I work for National Grid and steering people to use power during low demand times (through cheaper prices) is critical to ensuring security of supply and reducing further investment in additional generation. Especially for charging EV’s.

Last edited:
Based on what data?
I work for National Grid and steering people to use power during low demand times (through cheaper prices) is critical to ensuring security of supply and reducing further investment in additional generation. Especially for charging EV’s.

It sounds like much more can be done with off-peak, why can't we incentivise or make a modern day E7 tariff. We could force appliance manufacturers to add E7 timers by default and encourage people to run dryers, dishwashers overnight. Encourage some industries to operate overnight

Don't do it.

I lived and worked in NZ for 6 months, and when I came back I got depressed.

And this was about 20 years ago the UK steadily gone downhill since.

It's not exactly all hobbits and shires here either. There's an incredible malaise in this country right now. And after 8.5 years here, I can write novels on what annoys me about this place. AND we're of the incredibly lucky ones here. 99% of what complaints people have here just won't apply to us.

We won't sell our house. And with me having citizenship now, I can always come back any time I want.

The current version of the plan is to just head back for a year, with an end date set. If we don't like it after 12 months, we'll just head back to NZ.

The only question is, where do we move to. We have family is Dorset, London and Scotland.

Decisions decisions

It's not exactly all hobbits and shires here either. There's an incredible malaise in this country right now. And after 8.5 years here, I can write novels on what annoys me about this place. AND we're of the incredibly lucky ones here. 99% of what complaints people have here just won't apply to us.

We won't sell our house. And with me having citizenship now, I can always come back any time I want.

The current version of the plan is to just head back for a year, with an end date set. If we don't like it after 12 months, we'll just head back to NZ.

The only question is, where do we move to. We have family is Dorset, London and Scotland.

Decisions decisions
We did that about 4 years ago and only lasted 3 months back in the uk, we did so many things wrong. But you are right that NZ is not all glorious, we defiantly have our issues. If we do go back we will keep two property's going here and just sell our main one, then we have a foot in both camps. But probably going off topic now sorry....

We did that about 4 years ago and only lasted 3 months back in the uk, we did so many things wrong. But you are right that NZ is not all glorious, we defiantly have our issues. If we do go back we will keep two property's going here and just sell our main one, then we have a foot in both camps. But probably going off topic now sorry....

This thread is all over the place anyway.

What about the UK didn't you like? I've met so many British people here that would give anything to experience a rainy afternoon in Norfolk, drinking a pint in a building older than most nations on earth.

I know if we had to go back, we'll suffer reverse culture shock pretty much right away. Reminiscing about a place isn't the same as living there. And we're heading back with different mindsets and a different outlook on life. All tricky things.

Anyway, it's only hypothetical at this point.

Why are you looking at heading back?

This thread is all over the place anyway.

What about the UK didn't you like? I've met so many British people here that would give anything to experience a rainy afternoon in Norfolk, drinking a pint in a building older than most nations on earth.

I know if we had to go back, we'll suffer reverse culture shock pretty much right away. Reminiscing about a place isn't the same as living there. And we're heading back with different mindsets and a different outlook on life. All tricky things.

Anyway, it's only hypothetical at this point.

Why are you looking at heading back?
Probably towards the end of the year. But have quite a bit of stuff to sort-out and a small business that i would need to rap up.
Last time errors where...
-We had only been in NZ 2 years and thought we would just roll back into UK life and pickup where we left off. Could not be more wrong as everything was hard work, basically treated as aliens and had to start fresh with everything.
-In the 3 months we where there we could not get our daughter into a school.
-We stupidly took a car back with us (We planned to stay way longer) and even though it was a UK new car with plates it was just a massive headache to try and get it re-redigested.
-We could only rent by paying for a whole year up front, as we had no references from renting as we have always owned. It was bloody expensive.
-I can go on, but we all felt like the UK was just to hard for us and we freaked out and headed home. A lot of our cockups where our own fault by expecting too much and probably going into it with the wrong mindset. Will do things a lot different this time. We know now we will have to start from 0 with everything and will have 12-18 months of pain.

I've done 2 out of the 3, well Somerset on the Dorset border. Personally wouldn't make London a permanent move unless it was necessary for work reasons - though I love spending time in London.

Can anyone explain to me why petrol and diesel prices are so high despite the price of crude oil being well of any record high (less then $110 a barrel) and the government handing down a 5p per litre tax cut? Is it just greed or am I missing something?

Back
Top Bottom