Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I’ve bought a few Tapo energy monitor thingies to see how much things in the house are costing to run.

We have a old scandinova chest freezer in the cellar which according to the Tapo is constantly using 105w

We are with octopus on their June 2018 v1 variable

How much is this thing costing to run each year?

Edit : Ignore me, I thought a Tapo was one of those clip on energy monitors you put on the incoming feed which tells you how much incoming electricity is being used, I realise now the Tapo is a single plug energy monitor.

Does the Tapo show you daily/weekly usage? If so just leave it for 24 hours or a week or so then find out on average over that timeframe how much kWh it uses, then once you have an idea of how much daily it uses for example you can work out a more accurate idea of how much it costs.

For example my PC/router/pihole/switch has used 140kWh in the last 100 days. So around £137 per year unit rate.

The Tapo plugs do show energy used over time, they can show you daily usage for a few months.

Ah cool, just leave it for a few days so you can get an idea of how much on average it uses over a day then you can multiply that to find the annual use. I'd bet it doesn't run 24/7 at that rate, or at least a freezer shouldn't be running 24/7.

Yes they do show daily and monthly, just set up in last couple of hours so will let it run a few days and then check again.

£250 + per year to run seems obscenely expensive considering the average (according to Google) is up to around £70 a year running costs.

This thing is ancient mind you 20+ years old was just used as storage for towels etc for years we put it back into use when our new freezer died and even after replacing we have kept this running for about 3 years now.

I’ve bought a few Tapo energy monitor thingies to see how much things in the house are costing to run.

We have a old scandinova chest freezer in the cellar which according to the Tapo is constantly using 105w

We are with octopus on their June 2018 v1 variable

How much is this thing costing to run each year?
if that is right then for ease of maths and rounding that is 2.5kw/h per day..... around 900kw/h per year what is your kw/h charge with octopus ? if it is 25p then that would be around £225 a year to run

Octopus have just adjusted our monthly bill to £263 (gas & electric) :(

They tried more than doubling ours from £140 to £380ish per month

I called them yesterday to see what is going on if we were on best tariff etc. even the guy said that doesn’t seem right and apparently they were boosting it to compensate for winter months but then he said we already had a high credit of £400 so why were they boosting it that high.

At our current usage the actual cost is around £220 which is much more palatable so he has set it to that. I don’t get if we have a high credit why they were trying to charge us almost double what we are actually using?

Best give them a call

Providers will adjust your DD as they see fit, best to move onto DD Monthly whole amount which is basically pay as you go, you will only pay for usage each month and not some fixed random monthly value.

Only negative is for people who can't budget without paying a different figure each month, but if that's not an issue, speak to your provider and get onto DD Monthly whole payment instead.

Yeah worth checking the usage over a longer time, but newer fridge/freezers are much more energy efficient, and that is starting to matter a lot more now.
i was shocked at the difference in effeciency of some of my white goods.... my tumble drier was the biggest one.

I went from a fairly budget condenser drier to a A rated heat pump one and (despite it taking longer) it uses less than half the electricity. over the life of the machine i should save the cost of the unit in electricity saving

Yes that is ultimately the game, it sucks having to buy a new unit but unless you power the old one for free with solar or something, paying out for a more efficient appliance could be worth considering.

I’m trying to check the cost of things in standby, in the kitchen tv and skybox + Wi-Fi extender are using 15w constantly so around £36 a year.

We have 5 tvs in the house, along with game consoles all on standby. We are probably just ******* away money if costs are similar for each.

There is a timer function on the Tapo that will completely shut off plugs which I hope to make use of.

I’m trying to check the cost of things in standby, in the kitchen tv and skybox + Wi-Fi extender are using 15w constantly so around £36 a year.

We have 5 tvs in the house, along with game consoles all on standby. We are probably just ******* away money if costs are similar for each.

There is a timer function on the Tapo that will completely shut off plugs which I hope to make use of.
TVs are mandated to use a tiny amount of power in standby. Under 1W IIRC.

Consoles should have an eco off option or just fully power them down rather than leaving in rest mode.

Your freezer shouldn't be on all the time though, does it get opened a lot or do the seals look dirty/ damaged?

Back
Top Bottom