Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Cold or not it's going to be expensive

Indeed. I've been quoted 500 a month to fix for 12m... no more wfh for the wife me thinks

Trouble brewing under the surface with energy prices, fuel costs, mortgage rates and just the general cost of living. Throw in an incompetent government with their noses in the trough...

Local authorities are planning food bank-style "warm banks" to heat residents who will be unable to afford soaring energy prices at home this winter.

that's beginning to sound, sheltering from the blitz, like - I expect the house of parliament to open it's doors.

If the local leisure/pool facility is representative I'm not detecting reduction in pool heating, shower temp; maybe they have multi-year energy contracts.

Are people generally putting the heating on? My gas has been around £11 for the last three or four months. And that’s just because I have a gas hob and to heat water and the standing charge.
Not run the heating here since April (though the OH tried to put it on a couple of weeks back :rolleyes:). Using gas for heating hot water tank only and our bill inc standing charge is over £35/month since April. June we used 370kWh of gas. Crazy.

More issues in the supply chains, this time in the Norway Sleipner Gas Field

Getting a bit crazy now how much oil and gas infrastructure has set on fire/broken down/reduced capacity during 2022....

Pointless doing insulation though if you have old wooden framed single glazed windows, thats a prerequisite but isnt promoted.
Its possible to seal the whole window off, B&Q sells it. Not advisable for most people or anyone who wants to open the window but old and poor its a common trick. In USA they call it ghetto wrap apparently, obviously richest country in the world has some extremely poor old people our lot are probably minted in comparison. I understood this much just from watching yt vids on anthracite burners, they get given half a ton of bags free when buying one its that cheap and available so bit of a god send in those very cold parts of usa.

Can always go back to warming water over the stove. Wales gives free planning permission in green belt to those who have no need to connect to the electric grid at all, so there has to be a whole section of study over extreme heating methods

Its possible to seal the whole window off, B&Q sells it. Not advisable for most people or anyone who wants to open the window but old and poor its a common trick. In USA they call it ghetto wrap apparently, obviously richest country in the world has some extremely poor old people our lot are probably minted in comparison. I understood this much just from watching yt vids on anthracite burners, they get given half a ton of bags free when buying one its that cheap and available so bit of a god send in those very cold parts of usa.

Can always go back to warming water over the stove. Wales gives free planning permission in green belt to those who have no need to connect to the electric grid at all, so there has to be a whole section of study over extreme heating methods
Yeah I think I seen someone talk about cling film been used.
I am thinking over my gas again, the 3.5KwH day for a pilot light is bothering me, its so wasteful. But I do like my hot baths which the boiler is needed for. I am satisfied with alternatives for things like just washing my hands and dishes.

People really are going to struggle now, no doubt the new pm’s will say they will do something to try and get votes to get pm

At this rate I will pay more for electric than I will for my mortgage

Yeah I think I seen someone talk about cling film been used.
I am thinking over my gas again, the 3.5KwH day for a pilot light is bothering me, its so wasteful. But I do like my hot baths which the boiler is needed for. I am satisfied with alternatives for things like just washing my hands and dishes.

Use cold water to wash your hands, by the time I’ve drawn down the hot water from the tank your done anyway.

Using warm water is 100% about comfort and doesn’t actually make your hands cleaner, you can’t keep your hand under a tap for long enough that is hot enough to kill bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom