Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
It doesn't matter how fit or healthy you are prolonged exposure to cold air causes harm. Specially as temperatures drop below 0, constantly breathing in cold/sub zero air can cause respiratory issues. I know I was one of those who would hold off putting the heating on for ages, it would give me a sore throat and nose after a while. You need some level of warmth (around 14-15 degrees) to prevent that happening over time.

Caporegime
It doesn't matter how fit or healthy you are prolonged exposure to cold air causes harm. Specially as temperatures drop below 0, constantly breathing in cold/sub zero air can cause respiratory issues. I know I was one of those who would hold off putting the heating on for ages, it would give me a sore throat and nose after a while. You need some level of warmth (around 14-15 degrees) to prevent that happening over time.

Yeah as a society it would be a bad move.

The NHS would crumble on the sheer volume of sick people. People who would not be considered vulnerable.

Caporegime
Imagine feeling/being cold
Imagine then either:
Putting some clothes on to get warm
Turning up your household heat source

Only in GD can it be an issue..
Who cares how you. "Get warm?"

Pay the price hike or wear a jumper.
Evaluating your bad life choices/upbringing if layering up is your solution to everything.

Soldato
Healthy people will start becoming unhealthy. My partner is fairly healthy but I know for a fact if the house was 12c she'd get ill.

A lot of people would suffer the same.
If 12C is going to make someone ill they probably got a underlying condition or age contributing to that, been uncomfortable isnt been ill they two different things. Granted the WHO state 16C as minimum and European health agencies 15C.

Soldato
If 12C is going to make someone ill they probably got a underlying condition or age contributing to that, been uncomfortable isnt been ill they two different things. Granted the WHO state 16C as minimum and European health agencies 15C.

It makes me feel rougher than a badgers *** after a while and im 42, 6ft 1", 190lbs fit as a ox through cycling 100-150 miles a week with no underlying conditions.

Soldato

Do you think most people only warm to 14-15 degrees?

Soldato
It makes me feel rougher than a badgers *** after a while and im 42, 6ft 1", 190lbs fit as a ox through cycling 100-150 miles a week with no underlying conditions.

Some of that might be what you are used to and then feeling rough as you not accustomed to it. But if you think heating is a non negotiable thing, then fair enough, but I do think there is room for people to cut back whilst still hitting 15-16C :p (12C given it goes against WHO I will shut up on that :) ). Especially in well insulated properties. There is properties I walk into which are clearly around mid 20s, I walk in and the hot stuffiness is immediately in my face.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Pfft in the winter I try not to let most of the house get above 16 unless we are using the room. We have smart TRVs in every room though so we can adjust each one on the fly.

Heating our whole house this winter would bankrupt us and all our future generations. Its a cold edwardian house which seems to let all the heat out even with a few foot of insulation in the loft.

Soldato
I don’t understand why people can’t just wear a jumper and drop the internal temp a couple of degrees. The need for a home to be borderline tropical is clearly a new thing as everyone I know who is in their late mid 50s or older are happy to sit in a house that’s 17-18c. It’s only in the homes of those younger that it seemingly is a requirement to leave an arse print on the seat when you get up.

I’m not sure no heating is viable mind..

Soldato
I don’t understand why people can’t just wear a jumper and drop the internal temp a couple of degrees. The need for a home to be borderline tropical is clearly a new thing as everyone I know who is in their late mid 50s or older are happy to sit in a house that’s 17-18c. It’s only in the homes of those younger that it seemingly is a requirement to leave an arse print on the seat when you get up.

Your working on the assumption that everyone has their houses at 22c in the winter, they don’t.

I don’t know anyone that is like you have described above.

Edit: I agree on the no heating point though. Eventually the house will get down to a couple of C above ambient which is not comfortable at all. The typical day time temp in Jan/Feb is 6-7c.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Remember, most women run much colder than the average dude, and that is not a hill I am prepared to die on :D

Soldato
I agree people seem to expect to wear a T shirt at home and in the office during winter time now.

quickly proved

52225107335_f30bfc0ec9_o_d.jpg

Associate
In my opinion anyone who is fit and healthy shouldn't put the heating on at any point during the year. It never gets cold enough to justify it, put a jumper on.
Fully agreed.

The "entitled" class are going to be demolished come November. And as hybrid office-home working is a thing, they won't be happy that they'll be paying more in gas and electricity prices than what they'll be earning on a WFH day.

Soldato
In my opinion anyone who is fit and healthy shouldn't put the heating on at any point during the year. It never gets cold enough to justify it, put a jumper on.

Fully agreed.

The "entitled" class are going to be demolished come November. And as hybrid office-home working is a thing, they won't be happy that they'll be paying more in gas and electricity prices than what they'll be earning on a WFH day.

You're both genuine about this? Can I ask where in the UK you both reside during Winter? (general location).

Back
Top Bottom