Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
In my opinion anyone who is fit and healthy shouldn't put the heating on at any point during the year. It never gets cold enough to justify it, put a jumper on.

Fully agreed.

The "entitled" class are going to be demolished come November. And as hybrid office-home working is a thing, they won't be happy that they'll be paying more in gas and electricity prices than what they'll be earning on a WFH day.
You two are either trolling or plain stupid. Can't decide which yet.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Considering that we don't heat our house that much if we can avoid it and we only usually heat the rooms that we are using, the house goes down to about 14 degrees quite often during the winter. Probably lower but I have the thermostat set to that throughout to avoid damp and mould.

If we didn't have the heating on at all the whole house would be around 10 degrees for large chunks of the winter. From a quick google the average daily temperature high in December in the UK is about 7 degrees C.

Either you two are talking complete rubbish or you live in the worlds best insulated houses and light fires or something. As soon as you stop moving for long periods, anything under about 20 degrees is cold for a lot of people.

Soldato
strawman -
maybe people incrased house temperature over 30 years as a result of obesity and lower metabolic rate .. so you aren't as able to keep yourself warm

fez

fez

Caporegime
strawman -
maybe people incrased house temperature over 30 years as a result of obesity and lower metabolic rate .. so you aren't as able to keep yourself warm

Counterpoint. Fatter people run hotter than thin people.

We are however softer than we used to be and much more used to turning the heating up as opposed to putting on warmer clothes. I would wager some of the nutters who heat their house to the point of sauntering around in pants and a t-shirt might not be doing that this winter.

Associate
So what happens in Winter with your heating if the ambient temp outside is around 0-5oC?
Nothing. I do have central heating, but it's never switched on because I developed sinus issues a long time ago and decided to keep it off. To be fair, the first 4 weeks of a pretty bad winter were slightly difficult, however adjusting and climitasing soon followed and now I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm comfortable outside for lengthy periods wearing short sleeved t-shirts on what some people might consider really cold days in the middle of winter, whilst others are layered in clothing, gloves, wooly hats, the whole shebang whilst still shivering their backsides off.

Associate
Considering that we don't heat our house that much if we can avoid it and we only usually heat the rooms that we are using, the house goes down to about 14 degrees quite often during the winter. Probably lower but I have the thermostat set to that throughout to avoid damp and mould.

If we didn't have the heating on at all the whole house would be around 10 degrees for large chunks of the winter. From a quick google the average daily temperature high in December in the UK is about 7 degrees C.

Either you two are talking complete rubbish or you live in the worlds best insulated houses and light fires or something. As soon as you stop moving for long periods, anything under about 20 degrees is cold for a lot of people.

I've been in this property for 20 years and never heated it for the past 12. I don't have a fire, and this was only something I briefly considered but decided I didn't need it. My house has never got damp and there isn't any mould.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I've been in this property for 20 years and never heated it for the past 12. I don't have a fire, and this was only something I briefly considered but decided I didn't need it. My house has never got damp and there isn't any mould.

What sort of house is it and what would you say is the temperature inside in the middle of winter?

Soldato
In a C rated EPC house North East England close to Newcastle way. Think it was built roughly 25 years ago.
No idea about what the temperature outside as its not something I care about (apart from when its too hot) but we've have not put the heating on for many years. When its cold we put warm cloths on. Even then myself I'm usually in t-shirt and shorts even during winter, with regular jeans/hoodie/plimsoles when outdoors when its cold/snowing/icy. I wouldn't say I run hot at all, I'm just not bothered by being alittle cold.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing. I do have central heating, but it's never switched on because I developed sinus issues a long time ago and decided to keep it off. To be fair, the first 4 weeks of a pretty bad winter were slightly difficult, however adjusting and climitasing soon followed and now I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm comfortable outside for lengthy periods wearing short sleeved t-shirts on what some people might consider really cold days in the middle of winter, whilst others are layered in clothing, gloves, wooly hats, the whole shebang whilst still shivering their backsides off.

So you are someone who "runs hot" and don't feel the cold... Others that don't run hot and therefore feel the cold are "entitled", as you put it.

What temp does your house get to in Winter?
Do you live alone? Or does everyone that lives there also not feel the cold?

fez

fez

Caporegime
In a C rated EPC house North East England close to Newcastle way.
No idea about what the temperature outside as its not something I care about (apart from when its too hot) but we've have not put the heating on for many years. When its cold we put warm cloths on. Even then myself I'm usually in t-shirt and shorts even during winter, with regular jeans/hoodie/plimsoles when outdoors when its cold/snowing/icy.

Either you are getting heat from someone else or you are very abnormal. Most people would get ill without heating their house. There would be mould on the walls and they would get sick unless they wore down jackets, insulated trousers etc.

Associate
What sort of house is it and what would you say is the temperature inside in the middle of winter?
4 bed detached built in the 80s. Ok, not as bad as an old victorian, but not the best either. I don't know how low the temperature gets to. I'd have to take note when winter arrives.

Soldato
Either you are getting heat from someone else or you are very abnormal. Most people would get ill without heating their house. There would be mould on the walls and they would get sick unless they wore down jackets, insulated trousers etc.
In a 3 bed Semi, no idea if she has the heating on at all but I've not felt heat coming from the joining wall. No mould in the house at all. For myself most the time is spent in one room which has my PC in. The room is in darkness with blackout blind and doors closed most the time. I suppose you could say that is keeping me warm? PC is using about 100-200w most the time.

My brother who lives about 20min drive away in an even older house doesn't use the heating either.

Associate
So you are someone who "runs hot" and don't feel the cold... Others that don't run hot and therefore feel the cold are "entitled", as you put it.

What temp does your house get to in Winter?
Do you live alone? Or does everyone that lives there also not feel the cold?
I don't run hot. I used to think the weather in the UK got cold as a kid, but that's probably because the central heating was on all the time and I got used to it. Once climitised, your threshold changes.

My girlfriend comes over regularly and is perfectly fine with the temperatures, at least she hasn't mentioned it in a negative way.

Soldato
We didn't have central heating as a kid and my parents are in the same house today and still don't. Waking up and getting out of bed in the winter was hard. Getting home after going out, straight to the 70s style grid fireplace.

Mom opens the windows for fresh air in the daytime no matter what the temperature is outside.

I think the above posters are right, you can get used to the house being a bit colder. I'm spoilt now by central heating but I often feel a bit stuffy in winter and turning it down a bit helps. It's too easy to keep bumping up the thermostat.

Soldato
strawman -
Yes I remember being taught at school how our ancestors were famous for rejecting this modern malarkey of fire and chose to sit in the cold instead. I believe one quote was "fire is for big wimps from over the sea".

:cry:

My parents didn't have central heating growing up but they both had coal fireplaces, people didn't just sit in the cold all winter.
Neither want to go back to that either. We are supposed to be progressing as a society, not telling poor people that they are so entitled to want to be warm. At least in the past they could chuck something on the fire if it got really bitter, can't do that with a gas boiler.

Last edited:
Associate
Central heating plays havoc with my sinuses. Also my sleep improved considerably once I stopped using it.

I do need to go through a minor adjustment period once we start winter, however we're a little bit lucky in this country with our seasons and the Autumn serves it's transition purpose somewhat.

Soldato
Central heating plays havoc with my sinuses. Also my sleep improved considerably once I stopped using it.

I do need to go through a minor adjustment period once we start winter, however we're a little bit lucky in this country with our seasons and the Autumn serves it's transition purpose somewhat.
So, just because you're ok everyone else is 'entitled' because they want to be a bit warmer. If we have a harsh winter some people will be freezing to death this year as they are too scared to put the heating on.
You seem to have missed out on the empathy gene.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also it's ridiculous to be advising people not to use heating if they can afford it, I live in a reasonably new house which keeps the heat pretty well, boosting heating for an hour or two in the morning makes a nice difference and doesn't cost too many kwhs.

Back
Top Bottom