Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
Personally find it in bad taste given how many people I know who do an honest day's work and live fairly moderate lives and were doing OK and now facing a serious position.

Bad taste is an understatement.

It's dishonest, disingenuous, ignorant, childish and pathetic.

It demonstrates an utterly infantile mentality that gets humor from deliberately annoying other people. This is the behaviour of toddler.

Soldato
I've just watched that video where Lewis is ranting about how a typical user may pay £3240 per year for gas and electric after the new cap comes in play. Are people really complaining that they can't afford that? To be honest, I didn't really know what the typical cost was as I take no notice of what I pay. It just comes out of one of my floating bank accounts by DD that I don't really bother to check. It's the account where you bung a spare £1k into every few weeks. But I was actually pleasantly surprised to hear that people will be paying an average of £3240/year. I thought it was going to be something like £5-6k.
Putting that much monthly into a bank account is dead money - get yourself an investment broker, who can 10x your amounts.
Mine is based in Nigeria and has confirmed a 14x investment return on 3x £1.5k transactions. The credit bank transfer is coming through any day now, they just need a couple more £k to sort the paper work, which I wired over yesterday.

Soldato
Putting that much monthly into a bank account is dead money - get yourself an investment broker, who can 10x your amounts.
Mine is based in Nigeria and has confirmed a 14x investment return on 3x £1.5k transactions. The credit bank transfer is coming through any day now, they just need a couple more £k to sort the paper work, which I wired over yesterday.
I get the feeling he wants to sound rich but he just sounds like a try hard. £1k into a bank account every few weeks, on this forum that makes him positively poor.

Soldato
I watched the Martin Lewis video earlier.

The idea of mass non-payment is interesting. What could the energy providers do if that were to happen, take millions of people to court?

Could well happen the way things are going.
I think its very probable, already people on social media posting account screens with 4 figure debit balances and saying they not going to pay future bills, my elder sister who routinely defaults on debts like its nothing will do the same.

This is why these energy companies have been begging for government intervention they know whats coming. Energy bills will be lower priority than mortgage/rent and food.

Soldato
It's all well and good to say more needs done to help people, but who is going to pay the bill?
If nothing is done will be a mass of defaults, pick your evil. If the government pays the bills at least they get paid.

There is no short term fix, only damage control, the proper longer fix is to increase our local supply of energy source and storage.

Associate
I get the feeling he wants to sound rich but he just sounds like a try hard. £1k into a bank account every few weeks, on this forum that makes him positively poor.
I'm not rich nor am I trying to sound rich. £1k every few weeks isn't a lot of money, but I like to spread things out a bit. The £1k or so is pocket money that gets put into an account that is only used for DD payments for council tax, internet, gas/electric, that type of thing. The bulk of my profits gets distributed between stocks and savings accounts amongst others.

Soldato
Looks like a court case is coming against ofgem and the price cap. The argument seems to be on the basis ofgem only took the energy suppliers financial health into account and not the impact on families. Telegraph apparently did have the story but pulled it from its website.

Soldato
I'm not rich nor am I trying to sound rich. £1k every few weeks isn't a lot of money,

That's all relative.

On a FT Min Wage job which gives take-home pay of circa £1350, then that is nearly 65% of take home pay assuming "every few weeks" is every 5 weeks.

Over the same period, rent/mortgage could be about 25% (£325/month) and food/energy/travel for work around 30%

65+25+30 = 120% of take home

This leaves a 20% deficit and that's just to exist with a roof over your head and food to eat, elec/gas and travel expenses required for work in order to earn.

I doubt anyone is asking you to apologise if you have managed to get into a financially secure position however being dismissive, and at times almost insulting people who have not, is just poor form and rather character defining.

Sometimes life just doesn't work out for people no matter how hard they try. Also, empathy sometimes only comes from people once they have had it tough, other people just get bitter...

Associate
I'm not rich nor am I trying to sound rich. £1k every few weeks isn't a lot of money, but I like to spread things out a bit. The £1k or so is pocket money that gets put into an account that is only used for DD payments for council tax, internet, gas/electric, that type of thing. The bulk of my profits gets distributed between stocks and savings accounts amongst others.

Consider that anyone on, or near NMW in those same "few weeks" you claim, have earnt less than £1000 after taxes, explain exactly how it a) "isn't a lot" when it would be their entire wage in said time period and b) how you think the majority of the population should be able to do this?

You either live in a dream world, or are nothing but a troll.

Associate
£1k is about 70% of the monthly take-home pay of a full time worker on minimum wage.

Inflation is now at 9.4%, the minimum wage increased by 6.5% - energy costs aren't increasing in isolation and we're now hearing reports of food bank donations decreasing as a lot people are feeling the pinch.

You may want to try to deflect blame to individual people for their personal situation, but the UK needs people to fulfill these roles and they're not being adequately compensated.

Soldato
Relative to the UK population that is rich. £17k 'pocket money' per year with the bulk (so substantially more than £17k) getting put into other investments. Come on, you sound like a typical snob stood at the top looking down on the poor people. Guess what, if they cant heat or eat your world will come crashing down.

Associate
£1k is about 70% of the monthly take-home pay of a full time worker on minimum wage.

Inflation is now at 9.4%, the minimum wage increased by 6.5% - energy costs aren't increasing in isolation and we're now hearing reports of food bank donations decreasing as a lot people are feeling the pinch.

You may want to try to deflect blame to individual people for their personal situation, but the UK needs people to fulfill these roles and they're not being adequately compensated.

You missed the part where he's doing it "every few weeks" which I think is fair to say most people would agree is generally accepted as 3 weeks. So anyone on NMW should be able to put their entire wage into an account for "pocket money" and just live on hopes and dreams I guess. :rolleyes:

Associate
proper longer fix is to increase our local supply of energy source and storage.
for short term, how about not charging world market rates for supply we already own?
Cost of north sea gas or wind power has not tripled in a year. If that covers say 50% of our usage, we should be paying 75% market price.
But instead the energy companies can report record profits...

fez

fez

Caporegime
Looks like a court case is coming against ofgem and the price cap. The argument seems to be on the basis ofgem only took the energy suppliers financial health into account and not the impact on families. Telegraph apparently did have the story but pulled it from its website.

Thats a tricky one because if the energy companies were making billions from UK households I would say sure, thats wrong. If they made £50m that might only be a few pounds per UK household so completely wiping out that profit wouldn't change a damn thing for anyone. The core issue is the price of energy.

I don't understand how some of the poorer nations are going to buy energy this winter as its a global market. In the grand scheme of things the UK and its citizens are rich.

fez

fez

Caporegime

How much do you earn per year and what do you do because my partner and I earn decent money between us and we aren't chucking a grand every few weeks into a savings account alongside other investments.

Back
Top Bottom