Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
No but they can do as millions of others have done. Finish school, get a job or go to college. Meet a bird, get a house and pump out some kids. The circle of life.

I’ll help my kids where I can but I never had a silver spoon so neither will they.
So because you had it tough, you're going to do the same to your kids?
What ever happened to "leave the world better than you found it?

Or do you just not give a toss about your kids?

You really shouldn't be a parent.

Soldato
And those people would be incapable of doing math correctly or looking more than 20 years into the future.

They are wrong.
Exactly where do they think the next generation of tax payers is coming from.

Say goodbye to services you currently have or expect to pay astronomical taxes. This is the reason Germany invited in 100,000,000 immigratnts.

No pension either.

Man of Honour
I know it varies around the country but I found it surprising the difference in quality of houses available when you go from the <£300k market to prices around £350k. The next big jump in quality seems to be >£450k but £350k brings up some real gems.

I was thinking of my grandad's house when I posted that, which has sold recently, on the same road there was anything from a tiny 2 bed semi-detached (albeit relatively new build) through to 5 bedroom detached within less than 30K of each other around the mid 350Ks point. Though his would have been a bit more than ~350K if it was in better state - last few years it has gotten a bit run down/lacking modernisation.

Associate
It's the same round here I'm content with an old car (it's reliable and 8 years old vauxhall) I see no end of people driving high end new cars and I some of them barely look old enough to drive..

Each to their own but what a waste of money on a status symbol as that is all it is.

When people have basically 0 chance to get on the property ladder and own their own home like so many of their parents were given the opportunity to do, Can you really blame them to "invest" in the next biggest expense in their life, the car?

For many having a "new" car on Finance / PCP takes away all the drama and risk of having it go wrong and not being able to afford the repairs.

*Edit* Also.. an 8 year old car is really not an "old car" to be perfectly honest.. this is not the 1980's anymore... Cars do not disintegrate at 10 years old these days. My sister is driving an 18 year old car, THAT is an old car.

Soldato
When people have basically 0 chance to get on the property ladder and own their own home like so many of their parents were given the opportunity to do, Can you really blame them to "invest" in the next biggest expense in their life, the car?

For many having a "new" car on Finance / PCP takes away all the drama and risk of having it go wrong and not being able to afford the repairs.
It is the opposite of an investment, sorry but if you want something nice it's not always possible to have it NOW.

I get the service side of it but get a mid range cat not a high spec Merc

Caporegime

Not sure I agree with that. You can get quite cheap cars that will never cost as much as pcp. They'd have to be going wrong every month!

I've seen people's Pcp bills. And it's not a fiesta it is often a 'showy' car

If it's a cheap fiesta or a sensible electric because you can't afford the upfront I get it. But there are an awful lot of Mercedes/audis driven by quite young people.

Permabanned
And those people would be incapable of doing math correctly or looking more than 20 years into the future.

They are wrong.
I watched a video about the rise of China and it’s likely downfall. One of the reasons given was elderly population.
Given we are at a peak of number people that have ever existed on this planet and the finite resources we have, it’s easy to make that assumption.

Man of Honour
It is the opposite of an investment, sorry but if you want something nice it's not always possible to have it NOW

Thing is for an increasing number in the younger generations forgoing the finance on a nice car doesn't get them materially closer to things like getting on the housing market... it isn't about getting it later it is about having very pessimistic perspective on even getting it later if they did save up.

Permabanned
So because you had it tough, you're going to do the same to your kids?
What ever happened to "leave the world better than you found it?

Or do you just not give a toss about your kids?

You really shouldn't be a parent.
Your taking it to the extreme a little fella. I’m just being realistic based on my circumstances that you are not privy too.

Your getting a little emotional and a bit out of order with the “you shouldn’t be a parent”. I’ll let you off but you haven’t got a clue what your talking about so reign it in.

Associate
I watched a video about the rise of China and it’s likely downfall. One of the reasons given was elderly population.
Given we are at a peak of number people that have ever existed on this planet and the finite resources we have, it’s easy to make that assumption.

You know what they say about making an assumption. :D

And if you have watched anything about the impeding population "crisis" countries like Japan are suffering (in less than 50 years their people will be roughly 50% as populus as they currently are) you would know that the problem is NOT too many people now, The problem is "not enough people in the future to look after those that are alive now"

This is because global birthrates in developed countries are hitting the floor.

Caporegime
I do feel lucky I don't want kids. Because my financial sensible side would say no while my instincts said yes!

We need to deal with an ageing population. And the answer isn't endless growth

Soldato
Thing is for an increasing number in the younger generations forgoing the finance on a nice car doesn't get them materially closer to things like getting on the housing market... it isn't about getting it later it is about having very pessimistic perspective on even getting it later if they did save up.
They have crystal balls then?

Man of Honour
Your taking it to the extreme a little fella. I’m just being realistic based on my circumstances that you are not privy too.

Your getting a little emotional and a bit out of order with the “you shouldn’t be a parent”. I’ll let you off but you haven’t got a clue what your talking about so reign it in.

Not aimed at you/your post but as a general thing though I do see that a lot where parents make things very difficult for their kids to progress in life and/or hold them back in some way for their own reasons, then are passive-aggressive about their lack of progression and/or visiting the same circumstances on their kids that they had to endure growing up... it just makes me want to facepalm repeatedly sometimes.

Associate
Well you’ve made plenty about me already so I’m sure you’re quite knowledgeable on the subject.
No assumptions were made, I took what you said at face value.

You said that because you "never had a silver spoon" you wouldn't give that to your kids.

I think it's fair to say that 99% of people would consider the "silver spoon" phrase to be synonymous with saying they had a "privileged" upbringing.

So you're saying that because you didn't have a privileged upbringing, you would deny that to your kids.

Permabanned
Not aimed at you/your post but as a general thing though I do see that a lot where parents make things very difficult for their kids to progress in life and/or hold them back in some way for their own reasons, then are passive-aggressive about their lack of progression and/or visiting the same circumstances on their kids that they had to endure growing up... it just makes me want to facepalm repeatedly sometimes.
It’s nothing about being passive aggressive or trying to hold them back. I grew up on a council estate and by the very nature of growing up on a council estate meant that we and my parents never had anything. I’ll have nothing passed down to me as my parents have nothing to give. I’m not bitter about that I had a decent upbringing it was just different to those who perhaps didn’t grow up on a council estate.

Now 34 years later I’m in a better position. Me and my wife live modest lives but we do have a home to call our own. We are 4 years into our mortgage with a ltv of around 50% and a projected 17 years left. I will hopefully own my own home which is more than my parents did. Never the less we are not rolling in money, realistically our money will go towards retirement. Our kids, if and when we have them will be looked after and brought up as well as we can, but they will make their own way in life, just as all of our family and friends have.

You don’t need to receive an inheritance to make something of yourself.

Back
Top Bottom