Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Fake jobs as they called exist in private companies as well, in particular one of the big energy suppliers has that problem. (I know given my sister is a manager there). They tend to be on the managerial level. They much easier to find out about with public owned companies hence it been seen as an issue that only exists in state owned entities. Personally I would rather have fluff that pays for fake jobs than fluff that pays for dividends.
Tends to happen in ex-public companies with massive unions. Brother has worked for British Gas and National Grid, the crap he tells me is insane. Paid from the point they leave home, til they get back home. Doesn't matter if you live 2hrs from work or 10 mins. Loads of people to stand around doing nothing, doing 9am-1pm and getting paid for a full days work etc.

Loads of stuff like that. And if someone actually tries to do anything about it the unions kick off and threaten to strike.

Soldato
Tends to happen in ex-public companies with massive unions. Brother has worked for British Gas and National Grid, the crap he tells me is insane. Paid from the point they leave home, til they get back home. Doesn't matter if you live 2hrs from work or 10 mins. Loads of people to stand around doing nothing, doing 9am-1pm and getting paid for a full days work etc.

Loads of stuff like that. And if someone actually tries to do anything about it the unions kick off and threaten to strike.
Same company and yes is ex public to be fair. My sister is on Centrica side of company, they literally have almost one manager for every non manager in the offices now. Loads of cut backs but managers always protecting their own jobs led to it.

Soldato
any infrastructure thats paid for now we need to own it

will no one think of the CFD - we do own generation infrastructure it is a shared risk model , just have to get the strike price right, to avoid over-valueing the energy (pity there is no analogue for Rail.)

Truss can subsidise energy, but if its by too much, we just end up borrowing to the detriment of the economy ... and the foreign cars we want to fill up, will cost more, or the green border tax the EU is imposing will attack fossil goods we try and export.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Does anyone in parliament have any solutions?

None that don't fail the "I won't be here in a few years so why would I do the right but unpopular thing" test. I'm dreading the **** promises that the Tories will make come election time in order to hoodwink people into voting for them again.

Soldato
The issue with all these "captain hindsight" solutions is that they didn't make any financial sense until the price of energy skyrocketed. Even simple stuff like loft insulation only pays for itself over a number of years. We've done ours over the past few months and you have 2 options for most people. Completely lose all loft storage space or spend a lot more on raising the floor to keep that storage. I reckon that the cost of insulating the roof has come out at the best part of £800 or more to do this and we already had a load of boards up there. That was doing it all myself as well.

Sounds about right! The insulation to top up ours was about £150.

Add on the cost of loft legs and screws etc. and it's more like £400, and that's with only a 2x2m section boarded over for a bit of storage, if I had to do the whole lot it would be closer to £1k

Soldato
I don’t agree it’s a ‘captain hindsight’ recommendation, insulating your loft and dealing with drafts is a long term ‘investment’ and has always made sense. Not only from a bills point of view but also a quality of life and comfort point of view.

And before you say ‘yeh but I’m not going to live here that long so making improvements are not worth it’, well luckily it does actually add ‘value’ in that your EPC rating will be higher and thus your house being more attractive to potential buyers.

Ultimately it’s that kind of attitude is why our housing stock is generally poor quality. If you need to make improvements to stay ‘competitive’, particularly to rentals, our housing stock would be far better quality.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don’t agree it’s a ‘captain hindsight’ recommendation, insulating your loft and dealing with drafts is a long term ‘investment’ and has always made sense. Not only from a bills point of view but also a quality of life and comfort point of view.

And before you say ‘yeh but I’m not going to live here that long so making improvements are not worth it’, well luckily it does actually add ‘value’ in that your EPC rating will be higher and thus your house being more attractive to potential buyers.

Ultimately it’s that kind of attitude is why our housing stock is generally poor quality. If you need to make improvements to stay ‘competitive’, particularly to rentals, our housing stock would be far better quality.

Lets be honest, very few people buy a house based on the EPC rating. They might care a bit more now than they did but even now you will pick to house you can a) actually get because the market is so hot b) the house you want for a myriad of reasons.

Our house isn't great but we didn't care because it was Edwardian, high ceiling and in a good location for us. EPC didn't even factor into our decision despite knowing it wasn't great. Still wouldn't.

Not sure it adds that much to the comfort either as we can just run our heating a bit more if we wanted to.

We did it partially because the house is bad for leaking heat but mainly to try and be a little more environmental. I don't know if we will be here when the savings have paid for the install. Probably not. I don't expect it to increase the value of our house at all though.

Caporegime
Lets be honest, very few people buy a house based on the EPC rating. They might care a bit more now than they did but even now you will pick to house you can a) actually get because the market is so hot b) the house you want for a myriad of reasons.

Our house isn't great but we didn't care because it was Edwardian, high ceiling and in a good location for us. EPC didn't even factor into our decision despite knowing it wasn't great. Still wouldn't.

Not sure it adds that much to the comfort either as we can just run our heating a bit more if we wanted to.

We did it partially because the house is bad for leaking heat but mainly to try and be a little more environmental. I don't know if we will be here when the savings have paid for the install. Probably not. I don't expect it to increase the value of our house at all though.

I agree.

Unless it's terrible its not really a factor.

Unfortunately, without this stuff being free or at the very least grant based, people just won't do it.

Break even times are too far away

Soldato
You are dismissing the point with a sample size of 1. Just as there are tens of thousands of people buying increasingly cramped new build properties where part of their rationale for doing so is that the running costs are comparatively low.

Likewise the market might be hot now but a couple of years ago it wasn’t at all, it was pretty flat with lots of availability and not so many buyers. We are talking about long term trends and not what’s happening this week.

I’m sure you have your own reasons just as others that look at the same property and see the ‘E’ EPC rating and just move on for their own reasons.

Of course keeping the heat in helps with comfort, if all the hot air is leaking out the top of the house, cold air will be replacing it from below. It doesn’t matter how high you run the heating, you’ll still feel that cold air leaking into the house. You’ll also get hot spots and cold spots where the air around the radiator is noticeably warmer than the other side of the room which doesn’t have a rad.

Soldato
I wouldn't say the better EPC rating was a main factor for the people I know who have bought a new build but it was a nice bonus. This is just my social group so irrelevant for the national picture but the main reason they bought a new build was due to the help to buy schemes.

Last edited:
Associate
So I looked up the EPC rating of our new build - as expected it's pretty good. The government site has some recommendations to improve it:
1) solar water heating
Typical installation cost £4,000 - £6,000
Typical yearly saving £29

wtf lol. that's like a 130-200 year payback?!

Back
Top Bottom