Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I've paid 3k in total for mortgage.
Lost 2k on on stock falls
7k is left in stocks.
6k in in crypto (1/3 in pit 2/3 in stable coin)
2k I spent on my holiday
3k is in easy access cash.

If this was a forever home I'd have already bought it. But it's not. I'm not convinced it's the right move right now.
For me the money i was saving to buy my own place has been shrinking and shrinking :( I was never able to get over that line as I never saved enough for deposit. Now absorbing a huge rent increase, I couldnt even move to a new rental place as demand is ridiculously high.

Soldato
Our mortgage is relatively big? 210 left.
We also WFH so travelling essentially is for pleasure only. But it whacks up utility cost.

Throw in a job loss however. And it's all change.
Aye, so I have £100k mortgage which reasonably low but also have the help to buy part because I don't earn enough to re-mortgage to cover off the help to buy even though that would be lower than my mortgage was originally whilst also earning over £10k a year more when I took out the mortgage. That was prior to all the increase outgoings too so I am paying more in rent interest on that than my mortgage is.

And I am travelling 95miles a day for work and then weekend travel to see my children with another 100 miles so it's a tank of fuel a week minimum and that costs about £114 right now every week.

Soldato
For me the money i was saving to buy my own place has been shrinking and shrinking :( I was never able to get over that line as I never saved enough for deposit. Now absorbing a huge rent increase, I couldnt even move to a new rental place as demand is ridiculously high.

That's the boat I am in currently, my rent recently went up and I am actually grateful it only went up £70 a month, which is still going to be a tight squeeze, if I wanted to move though, I'd be looking at paying almost double what I am currently for the same size property in a 10 mile radius of my location.

Soldato
I am near ish (come my current job move) that wage if that what you consider middle earner. If my rise totals £600 I would be in minus monies every month. I currently have (and have been this way since Jan);
- No TV licence
- No Sky
- No online TV service (having this month cancelled Netflix which was only one)
- No Gym
- Mobile only £6.50 a month
- 1 take away every two weeks (shared price between me and my neighbours where we catch up to see how all doing and a cheap night in)
- No nights out

My full wage as a single dad of 2 goes on mortgage, electric, gas, water, fuel, car, children (CSA), I limit my full food/clothes/cleaning product shop to £100 a month.

The reason I have any income at moment is my best friend rents a room otherwise I would be in debt every month just trying to live.

My comments weren't meant as a one size fits all, merely musings, and for what it's worth I wish our household income was as high as £50k. There'll be lots of folk in various predicaments and some of them through no fault of their own. I should imagine the csa payment makes a big dent in your monthly income.

Soldato
Does/can the UK produce enough home grown gas to be self sufficient?

No, all our gas comes from Norway, without the gas we would barely cover half the current energy demand. Unless the government step in and do something drastic, nearly half the UK will be in fuel poverty this winter (where energy costs are roughly 10% or more of the household income).

Back
Top Bottom