Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
EDF own nuclear power stations right? No idea on gas?
I think mainly nuclear and renewables but France isn't (as) reliant on gas because they invested in nuclear and the state is controlling the price whereas Germany is looking at a tripling of gas prices and we wont be far behind them.

Caporegime
I'm certainly going to be watching with interest the solar results people get.

I'm hoping to put away 6k before my fix ends to pay for a system outright.

If things are still bad then. I'll just get it done.

Associate
their theoretical nuclear output
france has a lot of hydro and pumped in south, lets them effectively store nuclear energy overnight

But this year french had really bad luck with their nuclear stations, discovered some structural faults that affect a whole number of them. Some stations have to throttle power due to hot summer
So right now they operate at half of max output

Soldato
No it's not an insignificant rise and I suspect the true rise for most after October will be closer to £600pm.
Id suggest a middle earner would be in the region of £50k, on that kind of wage you're certainly going to feel it and you're going to have to cut back considerably to cover it but at that kind of wage if you can't cut back your discretionary spending (sky, netflix, gym, takeaways, nights out etc) and possibly trim back savings/pensions contributions to cover it then you were quite possibly living beyond your means.
100% this is something me and wife discussed, we currently pay £60 for virgin broadband as i like the download speed "its the convenience", But with the current climate we will have to shop around for lower speeds.

france has a lot of hydro and pumped in south, lets them effectively store nuclear energy overnight

But this year french had really bad luck with their nuclear stations, discovered some structural faults that affect a whole number of them. Some stations have to throttle power due to hot summer
So right now they operate at half of max output

Yeah i was surprised thats all, I knew they had a lot, but for their faceplate output to be over the total annual electricity demand for the country puts it into perspective.
Ours is 9% by the same measure. Again theoretical max.
So France at 50% output from nuclear is actually still around 75% of total demand, thats not bad at all!

Soldato
Current cost per therm is £375, which equates to roughly £12.80 per KWh, as my daily use is ~6KWh a day that's around £77 during summer, as the price caps are based on the prior 6 months costs, so based on that alone if the price continues to rise as it is, come October, I think £3200 odd is being generous.

You mean 12.8p kWh - pence, not pounds !

Soldato
No it's not an insignificant rise and I suspect the true rise for most after October will be closer to £600pm.
Id suggest a middle earner would be in the region of £50k, on that kind of wage you're certainly going to feel it and you're going to have to cut back considerably to cover it but at that kind of wage if you can't cut back your discretionary spending (sky, netflix, gym, takeaways, nights out etc) and possibly trim back savings/pensions contributions to cover it then you were quite possibly living beyond your means.
And the people on benefits / min wage have no chance...

Soldato
100% this is something me and wife discussed, we currently pay £60 for virgin broadband as i like the download speed "its the convenience", But with the current climate we will have to shop around for lower speeds.
You're being ripped off. I pay £85 for virgin 1gig, full TV package inc sky/BT sports + netflix and movies and unlimited data sim. I suggest you can do much better than that price!

Soldato
it is terrifying....... I must admit i am shielded to the increases till maybe october 2023 as i have fixed gas and electricity and have solar but my heart goes out to anyone currently struggling.

if things get that bad then how long before old dears are found dead wrapped up in bed after a cold winters night?. As a child i remember waking up with frost on the inside of my windows and my dad going down at 6am to light the fire........ i thought those times were behind us but maybe not.

Caporegime
You're being ripped off. I pay £85 for virgin 1gig, full TV package inc sky/BT sports + netflix and movies and unlimited data sim. I suggest you can do much better than that price!

I pay 16ppm for my internet! :D
Disney + is on tesco vouchers
Netflix is unsubcribed at the moment

Fibre 65

Soldato

You're probably right, we don't really see the need for TV packages as most nights i'm gaming if my misses is working or netflix.

Soldato
I'm certainly going to be watching with interest the solar results people get.

I'm hoping to put away 6k before my fix ends to pay for a system outright.

If things are still bad then. I'll just get it done.

Why wait at the current market rates its a no brainer, by the end of the year people will be desperate to reduce their costs and solar will likely sky rocket, likely due to increased costs and increased competition due to lack of labour.

Soldato
it is terrifying....... I must admit i am shielded to the increases till maybe october 2023 as i have fixed gas and electricity and have solar but my heart goes out to anyone currently struggling.

if things get that bad then how long before old dears are found dead wrapped up in bed after a cold winters night?. As a child i remember waking up with frost on the inside of my windows and my dad going down at 6am to light the fire........ i thought those times were behind us but maybe not.
And me.Unfortunately a lot of houses don't have fireplaces these days, so unless someone can afford a log burner then they are at the total mercy of energy prices.
I certainly miss having the option of lighting a fire.

Soldato
France would have been exporting nuclear electricity to the UK.

100% this is something me and wife discussed, we currently pay £60 for virgin broadband

Indeed, am shopping, had been contemplating going to vodaphone for a combined phone & BB package ... but I learned they haven't joined the voluntary best (evening speed) practices,
many others have https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tel...ry/codes-of-practice#accordion__target-111675.

what would the legality of sharing with your neighbour be ? (like peoples netflix accounts)

Caporegime
Why wait at the current market rates its a no brainer, by the end of the year people will be desperate to reduce their costs and solar will likely sky rocket, likely due to increased costs and increased competition due to lack of labour.

Because its really expensive!
Just had to pay 2k for an erc charge

I'm pretty firmly middle class I guess.
Ive got a relatively small mortgage left, which I was planning to pay off after my mortgage anniversary this coming October. I planned to pay off in Dec which is the end of my 5(and a bit) year plan I made almost exactly 5 years ago now.
As such not only would I be saving the mortgage itself, I would be saving the additional (roughly +125% of the normal mortgage payment).
The way its going now I am trying to get some solar quotes for a 6-8kwh system, battery and probably hot water diversion. It means I will delay the final £10k or mortgage so until end of April next year, 4x normal + 4x extra and a little gets me clear anyway.
The £10k plus a little more set aside for solar.

I had been a bit split on this, we were kind of planning to move again, last move but the way the outlook is now I can see it easily being a couple of years before we even comprehend that now, I think energy bills will come down, but trying to predict when and by how much is a total lottery.
The way its going I expect the normal house accounts to need the same money paying in to pay the normal bills as they did when we had a mortgage. The extra comes from just my money not the shared funds.

Council tax not an issue
Utils, I think I will see + 400% or so compared to where we were a year ago. Somewhat less when i compare year on year in Oct as I had already seen a significant increase compared to the rate I got early 2020 into early 2021. I fixed again with that significant (for the time) increase early 2021 but my supplier went pop around sept 21.

Back
Top Bottom