Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I don't understand your question?
If they have to pay a lower levy then they get more money...?
The questions are simple.

If everyone has a £100 bill (combined SC and usage), what happens if the levy is £100, you say the company goes bankrupt due to no revenue?
Where does the money from the levy come from if the bill isnt affected by it?

The questions are simple.
Yes, that's what confused me, I thought there must be more to it. The answer is very simple too: if they pay a lower levy then they have more money...
If everyone has a £100 bill (combined SC and usage), what happens if the levy is £100, you say the company goes bankrupt due to no revenue?
Where does the money from the levy come from if the bill isnt affected by it?
Yes, if everyone's bill was £100 and the levy was £100 the utility company would go bust.

The money for the levy comes from the customer bills but the customer bills are not effected by the levy.
As I've said several times, the customer bill is calculated by standing charge + (unit cost x units used). Levy doesn't come into the calculation.

Last edited:
Estimated energy cost
£578
a month

Going up daily

Tariff Information Label​

2 Year Fixed

Electricity​

Gas​

Supplier:OVO EnergyOVO Energy

Plan Name:2 Year Fixed2 Year Fixed

Plan Type:FixedFixed

Plan Length:24 months24 months

Plan End Date:29 Jul 202429 Jul 2024

Unit Rate:67.41p/kWh19.60p/kWh

Standing Charge:44.44p/day27.52p/day

Exit Fee:£60£60

Payment Method:Direct DebitDirect Debit

Renewables:
(Without Any Upgrades)100%0%

Additional Products Or
Services Included:1 tree planted a yearNone

whilst reducing the SC (and presumably increasing unit price ) would absolutely benefit me, I am not sure it would work long term...... and if it did, as it stands now it will benefit the rich

the only reason I could see it working would be if all struggling people had solar fitted by the council (I detailed thoughts on this earlier).

the thing is the actual infrastructure needs to be paid regardless of how much electricity we use from the grid. people with cash can afford solar , I am fortunate in that I have it. for 6 months of the year the only money octopus make off me is from the SC. if I pull my belt in and actually minimise my energy use Incan probably get this down to 4 months.

however people already struggling and who can't get solar would end up having to pay proportionally more (because the infrastructure needs paying some how. SC would not get canned without the price going on per KW/h.

so I get why this would encourage people to be careful with energy but I worry that wealthy.people would ultimately pay less and poorer people more. whilst I don't like SC it may be the only viable way which is fair. (not certain just spitballling )

Surely if other countries fire up coal stations to produce more leccy, than that's going to reduce the prove anyway? Obviously this is assuming energy companies don't take the ****:rolleyes:.

@chrcoluk

It's not so much cutting green stuff now. It's that we didn't put enough into it in the last 10 years.

Had we been building nuclear, more renewables we wouldn't be in such a mess.
indeed. 25+ years of listening to climate change deniers have got us in this mess....... and our governments have actually done more than most in terms of building renewable generation.

A quick Google suggests a fracking site can be constructed and online within 5 months... Could the govt not throw everything in the direction of the fracking companies (permissions, investment etc) to allow them to accelerate extraction, on the proviso of some sort of price guarantee & ringfenced output for domestic supply?

Right now the energy crisis trumps the climate crisis imo

Back
Top Bottom