Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Daft question time, why doesn't the SEG increase in line with say the current energy cap (for solar at least)? Is it because solar generation tends to be at set times where technically demand isn't that high? But couldn't increased SEG cause an increase in people going solar which might allow a substantial offset from gas use for electricity generation?

I don't know what p/kWh it costs to run a CCGT (gas turbine) but surely we could do better than the current SEG export figures?

They are pretty accurate but its the way its presented. Saying the average bill will be £3400 means nothing to me when my bill each year is barely £1200 currently, They should put it out as a percentage which better allows people to gauge how it effects them.
£2000 to £3400 is 70% increase, so you'll be looking at an annual cost around £2k in October and then £2160 in January

This is what should have been put in place decades ago, a cross party agreement to allow the construction of enough nuclear power stations to cover the entirety of the UK's energy needs. The energy should have been provided at cost + a percentage to the UK population, any excess generated sold at the going rate.
As a nation we should be able to cover all our energy, water and food requirements.

Unfortunately we've spent decades voting in weak, ineffectual and morally bankrupt politicians. We're now beginning to reap what we've sown.

Agree on energy and water, its hundreds of years since we produced all our own food needs
Plus we have a significantly dodgy climate to supply a balanced diet
It will improve with tech and eventually I suspect most will be factory farmed but thats some way off and will probably require even more power

I'll be moving house soon and it looks like i'll have to go Pay as you Go.

There is no way im paying £300 a month or what ever it is. Paying £137 now. In £300 credit too. I'll ride it out and then see how it goes.

Agree on energy and water, its hundreds of years since we produced all our own food needs
Plus we have a significantly dodgy climate to supply a balanced diet
It will improve with tech and eventually I suspect most will be factory farmed but thats some way off and will probably require even more power

Totally agree, food would be the hardest to provide but the ability should be there for basic sustenance should the need arise. We could have been 20-30 years along that road by now.

£2000 to £3400 is 70% increase, so you'll be looking at an annual cost around £2k in October and then £2160 in January
Well your name reflects how i am now after your comment :D

Not only did you include figures i wasn't quoting but you answered a question i didnt ask :D Plus out of all the people in this thread i'm literally one of the most informed here!

Lol thanks though?

I'll be moving house soon and it looks like i'll have to go Pay as you Go.

There is no way im paying £300 a month or what ever it is. Paying £137 now. In £300 credit too. I'll ride it out and then see how it goes.
PayG already in the new house or due to credit check you would need to have PAYG in the new house?

Totally agree, food would be the hardest to provide but the ability should be there for basic sustenance should the need arise. We could have been 20-30 years along that road by now.

Basic sustenance however wouldn't have the demand so it would require public expenditure to grow and then dispose of food that we wouldn't consume.
Which would likely increase the amount we import.

Paying by pay as you go is more expensive, I’m not sure what you think you are saving by swapping to a prepayment meter other than a load of hassle.

The only minor advantage is being able to effectively hard stop your energy usage (I don't believe any smart meters allow this)
So you could for example only add the amount you allow yourself for x days or a week etc and then what sit in the cold and dark once you had used it up?

Well your name reflects how i am now after your comment :D

Not only did you include figures i wasn't quoting but you answered a question i didnt ask :D Plus out of all the people in this thread i'm literally one of the most informed here!

Lol thanks though?
You said they should put it out as a percentage, I gave you the percentage :p

Saying the average bill will be £3400 means nothing to me when my bill each year is barely £1200 currently, They should put it out as a percentage which better allows people to gauge how it effects them.
It doesn't go up by a fixed percentage though. Everyone's bill will go up by a different percentage because of the way it's charged with a standing charge and a unit rate.

All the rest of our incidents have also been known risks and I think all if not bar 1 or 2 down to human error or human refusal to follow best practice.
Human error makes sense and I guess that falls into a kind of third area of risks really. Avoidable and prepared for but still happens a lot because of people trying to take short cuts or not following procedures.

The issue with the nuclear plant and the deterioration of the core doesn't fall into that category. It falls into a category of monitorable plant deterioration, can and is modelled using measurement and inspection.

The other category is unexpected hazards like flooding, tidal waves, earthquakes, terrorists. Can also be planned for and try to prevent but there is always something new to come along and bite you I think in this category.

So, the risk consultancy... which I joined as a founding member 20+ years ago operates across all major high hazard industrial sectors, we have several large nuclear teams with individuals who have in excess of 40 years sector experience, civil or "other", commissioning, operating, maintaining, decommissioning and everything in-between.

I'm not sure how much I'm prepared to add to this topic, particularly on the nuclear side, but our 250+ consultants perspective you are A. wrong on claiming "risk assessors" are, what you really mean is "overly conservative" and B. wrong in seemingly claiming Hinkley B was shut unnecessarily.
What I mean by my initial statement is this... where is the counter challenge? So for example an experienced nuclear engineer comes along and identifies cracking in the core. He (his team) measures, models and evaluates the best they can and come up with a recommendation. Their recommendation will always be on the cautious side, perhaps rightly so. But where then is the challenge saying what if...what if we could extend. What are the options, mitigations, extra inspection and measurement regimes we could implement and how much does that change the risk? Maybe they have done this, but its not transparent that they have in this example.

Do you not think risk assessors are conservative? Isn't the main idea to prevent first, then mitigate if prevent isn't an option?

My point about Hinkley B is this:
* an inspection last year identified some deterioration in the core material.
* but nevertheless, it was considered ok to continue running for more than a year longer. An arbitrary date of July 2023 was set as a hard limit.

Does this not seem strange to you?

What would have made a lot more sense is, having identified deterioration of the core and yet accepting the plant could still be run longer at that point, would have been to set a further inspection perhaps at 3 or 6 month intervals. Then you make the decision to shut down the plant based on the results of that continued monitoring. If there is no change at the next inspection, you continue for another 3 or 6 months. If there is change, you make another decision based on that knowledge.

Having identified a problem in 2021, it makes no sense at all to basically say "run it until 2023 then we'll shut down no matter what".

Admittedly, we don't have access to all the facts unfortunately. Which is the point I was making about transparency of information and this applies everywhere not just this example.

Last edited:
It doesn't go up by a fixed percentage though. Everyone's bill will go up by a different percentage because of the way it's charged with a standing charge and a unit rate.

Exactly - and some people don't even use Gas, so their % increase isn't the same as someone who does.
Thought this person said there were "literally one of the most informed here!" :p

When there are so many variables input to the cost of the bills, an average use case is the best method to show the impact.

Usually when I read an 'average' result, I find out the calculations to get to that average, and work out how it actually impacts me. People these days want everything spoon fed to them !

Last edited:
What I mean by my initial statement is this... where is the counter challenge? So for example an experienced nuclear engineer comes along and identifies cracking in the core. He (his team) measures, models and evaluates the best they can and come up with a recommendation. Their recommendation will always be on the cautious side, perhaps rightly so. But where then is the challenge saying what if...what if we could extend. What are the options, mitigations, extra inspection and measurement regimes we could implement and how much does that change the risk? Maybe they have done this, but its not transparent that they have in this example.

Do you not think risk assessors are conservative? Isn't the main idea to prevent first, then mitigate if prevent isn't an option?

A nuclear power plant is not shut down just because one report or "team" recommends this happens.

A big difference between being conservative and overly conservative, we are driven by industry guidance, historical datasets and engineering experience by experts in the field.

You said they should put it out as a percentage, I gave you the percentage :p

lol yeah im aware of the percentage but i think you missed my point but nevermind lol
:rolleyes: Yes i know but it will be a fixed percentage over the current cap so its easy to do the math and figure out the cost if you are on already on the cap which most people who arent locked in are currently on. Just to reiterate of all the people in this thread im probably one of the best placed to understand all of this :)

Is there a predicted unit price and predicted standing charge come October?
Trying to work out what I’ll go up by as I’ve been fixed since September but due to run out in September.
Looks like my bill will go from £1055 a year to £1726 with current capped prices. Safe to assume another 40% on that?

A nuclear power plant is not shut down just because one report or "team" recommends this happens.

A big difference between being conservative and overly conservative, we are driven by industry guidance, historical datasets and engineering experience by experts in the field.
I realise it is a complex process. Perhaps the issue is simply transparancy then. I believe reports on national infrastructure should be public in all cases so they can be scrutinised.

Would show up a lot of poor/incomplete decision making imo.

Human error makes sense and I guess that falls into a kind of third area of risks really. Avoidable and prepared for but still happens a lot because of people trying to take short cuts or not following procedures.

The issue with the nuclear plant and the deterioration of the core doesn't fall into that category. It falls into a category of monitorable plant deterioration, can and is modelled using measurement and inspection.

The other category is unexpected hazards like flooding, tidal waves, earthquakes, terrorists. Can also be planned for and try to prevent but there is always something new to come along and bite you I think in this category.

My point about Hinkley B is this:
* an inspection last year identified some deterioration in the core material.
* but nevertheless, it was considered ok to continue running for more than a year longer. An arbitrary date of July 2023 was set as a hard limit.

Does this not seem strange to you?

What would have made a lot more sense is, having identified deterioration of the core and yet accepting the plant could still be run longer at that point, would have been to set a further inspection perhaps at 3 or 6 month intervals. Then you make the decision to shut down the plant based on the results of that continued monitoring. If there is no change at the next inspection, you continue for another 3 or 6 months. If there is change, you make another decision based on that knowledge.

Having identified a problem in 2021, it makes no sense at all to basically say "run it until 2023 then we'll shut down no matter what".

Admittedly, we don't have access to all the facts unfortunately. Which is the point I was making about transparency of information and this applies everywhere not just this example.

The article was about the core, there is massive amounts of equipment there that will be on inspection and replace schedules.
Maybe the core was out of line, but that lots of other stuff would have been needed past this point

Simple fact is that the people who own and operate it deemed now was the time to stop. They know best.

Your still being emotional about this.

PayG already in the new house or due to credit check you would need to have PAYG in the new house?
No credit check issues. With the way things are, and how energy company are charging. Moving into a larger property I will have no say in. New House is meter. No PayG
If Shell (current energy supplier) turn around to me and say, in new property your monthly payment is £350/400 there is no way I'll be paying that. I'll rather go payG for a while when things settle down then move back to meter. In short pay for what I can afford.

Back
Top Bottom