Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Is there a predicted unit price and predicted standing charge come October?
Trying to work out what I’ll go up by as I’ve been fixed since September but due to run out in September.
Looks like my bill will go from £1055 a year to £1726 with current capped prices. Safe to assume another 40% on that?

Not yet, its due to be released on 26th August. At the bear minimum work out the increase from your fixed to the current cap and add that to your current yearly usage then add another 77%

:rolleyes: Yes i know but it will be a fixed percentage over the current cap so its easy to do the math and figure out the cost if you are on already on the cap which most people who arent locked in are currently on. Just to reiterate of all the people in this thread im probably one of the best placed to understand all of this :)
Not a single fixed percentage, unit rate and standing charge increased by different amounts.
Last increase was standing charge up by 80% and unit rate up by 30%. You'd have to then calculate your own ratio of standing charge:unit rate for your usage and multiply each by the increased percentage.

It's much harder to work out the overall increase based on percentages of increases.

No credit check issues. With the way things are, and how energy company are charging. Moving into a larger property I will have no say in. New House is meter. No PayG
If Shell (current energy supplier) turn around to me and say, in new property your monthly payment is £350/400 there is no way I'll be paying that. I'll rather go payG for a while when things settle down then move back to meter. In short pay for what I can afford.
But PayG is more expensive..... and once you use what you can afford to pay for then its either time to sit in darkness or buy more topup....

Human error makes sense and I guess that falls into a kind of third area of risks really. Avoidable and prepared for but still happens a lot because of people trying to take short cuts or not following procedures.

The issue with the nuclear plant and the deterioration of the core doesn't fall into that category. It falls into a category of monitorable plant deterioration, can and is modelled using measurement and inspection.

The other category is unexpected hazards like flooding, tidal waves, earthquakes, terrorists. Can also be planned for and try to prevent but there is always something new to come along and bite you I think in this category.

What I mean by my initial statement is this... where is the counter challenge? So for example an experienced nuclear engineer comes along and identifies cracking in the core. He (his team) measures, models and evaluates the best they can and come up with a recommendation. Their recommendation will always be on the cautious side, perhaps rightly so. But where then is the challenge saying what if...what if we could extend. What are the options, mitigations, extra inspection and measurement regimes we could implement and how much does that change the risk? Maybe they have done this, but its not transparent that they have in this example.

Do you not think risk assessors are conservative? Isn't the main idea to prevent first, then mitigate if prevent isn't an option?
You do realise that you can't really do many of the inspections etc when a nuclear power station is running?

So what they do is model it using different parameters, look at them (ranging from best case to worst in terms of how it is now, and how it's going to get), then choose a date to shut it down for the next inspection based on those parameters and any new information they get. so if they have modelled it based on one use pattern, but in the real world they have to use it differently they'll model to see how that affects it.

Shutting it down is not something they'll do lightly, but most of our nuclear reactors are already long past their original "best before date" and now hitting their "use by date" as shown by real world experience and the inspections they've had, so where 20 years ago they may have had a little more leeway in when to shut for inspection these days that leeway is not really there as we've been running them for longer than their original design lives, know there are issues at several of them that need monitoring more closely than was originally the case and basically been running up against the safety margins.

It's like aircraft.
Your 747 is at this point an extremely well known aircraft, with loads of real world experience of running them that means that there are a load of things that have to be checked either based on flat time, operational time, or number of flights but if say you have a hard enough landing or something that puts a lot of stress on the airframe during flight it doesn't matter if it had it's 18th major service last week, it's getting certain parts fully inspected again as soon as it's on the ground. And the older the airframe, the more frequent some of those tests have to be done (one of the reasons passenger airlines tend to like newer aircraft is that they're cheaper to run, and have less time down for maintenance).

I realise it is a complex process. Perhaps the issue is simply transparancy then. I believe reports on national infrastructure should be public in all cases so they can be scrutinised.

Would show up a lot of poor/incomplete decision making imo.

Virtually all legislation we have is to stop people doing things we dont want them to do
I cannot think of virtually any that force people to carry on doing something that could be risky / bad

Not a single fixed percentage, unit rate and standing charge increased by different amounts.
Last increase was standing charge up by 80% and unit rate up by 30%. You'd have to then calculate your own ratio of standing charge:unit rate for your usage and multiply each by the increased percentage.

It's much harder to work out the overall increase based on percentages of increases.
Which goes back to my original point. Rather than give me the average bill increase which means nothing to me, give me x% on unit price for gas and x% on unit price for elec so i can calculate mroe accurately. Quoting £3400 for dual fuel typical house means nothign to me when im electric only and use a fraction of a typical "average house".

Which goes back to my original point. Rather than give me the average bill increase which means nothing to me, give me x% on unit price for gas and x% on unit price for elec so i can calculate mroe accurately. Quoting £3400 for dual fuel typical house means nothign to me when im electric only and use a fraction of a typical "average house".

If you need to do the maths the calculate it then you can just do what @Puzzled told you and extrapolate from the average, it doesnt make much difference.

They give you an example of average figures because you can easily tell roughly how much you'll be effected. Telling people that standing charge is going to go up 40% and unit rates are going to go up %75 doesnt help anyone get a quick idea of how much they'll be effected without calculating it. I can't see why you're finding this so complicated when you keep telling us how you're the best person to understand everything?

If you need to do the maths the calculate it then you can just do what @Puzzled told you and extrapolate from the average, it doesnt make much difference.

They give you an example of average figures because you can easily tell roughly how much you'll be effected. Telling people that standing charge is going to go up 40% and unit rates are going to go up %75 doesnt help anyone get a quick idea of how much they'll be effected without calculating it. I can't see why you're finding this so complicated when you keep telling us how you're the best person to understand everything?
I think we have to agree to not see eye to eye on this. If gas goes up 80% and elec goes up 20% and i'm an all electric user, telling me a dual fuel users bill will go up 77% for example really makes no sense to me. Giving specific percentages to each unit price is MUCH more accurate and beneficial to people to understand how this will impact them.

If i use £1200 of elec a year and elec goes up 20% it doesnt take a genius to work out how it would effect me and would give a much better idea of my costs instead of a 77% increase to a "dual fuel average houshold"

Anyway im not going to continue with this as its kinda pointless

Literally every supplier has a PAYG tarrif and the PAYG tarrif is typically more expensive due to associated risks and costs
That’s not what I was getting at. I’m on a specific tariff that is fixed until nov. How do they physically move me onto a new considerably more expensive tariff at the end of the fixed term?

That’s not what I was getting at. I’m on a specific tariff that is fixed until nov. How do they physically move me onto a new considerably more expensive tariff at the end of the fixed term?
Wait what, Just realised you arent even the guy i was replying to previously. Where have you come from and whats your query lol

Wait what, Just realised you arent even the guy i was replying to previously. Where have y ou come form and whats your query lol
Do I have to type out the same posts again?

My point is on a prepayment meter that maybe a little bit more expensive or not, I can continue using my key that has all the tariff data stored on it, rather than the new key with the new considerably more expensive tariff stored on it. I know this because I continued to use an ourpower key for nearly a year after they went bust.

Can’t do that on a ‘smart meter’ they control your tariff instantly.

How exactly does it work and how much can I top up?​

Generally when a price change happens, for those with older prepayment meters, the information about the new rates is sent to the terminals where you top up your key or card. This is transferred to the card when you top it up, then to your meter when you next plug it in.

I believe the newer ones like smart meters use OTA updates

How exactly does it work and how much can I top up?​

Generally when a price change happens, for those with older prepayment meters, the information about the new rates is sent to the terminals where you top up your key or card. This is transferred to the card when you top it up, then to your meter when you next plug it in.

I believe the newer ones like smart meters use OTA updates
That was my understanding but as I said I continued using an old key from a supplier that went bust for nearly a year. I checked the unit rate on my meter regularly and it never changed until one day I somehow got my old key mixed up with the newer edf key.

When my tariff changed they sent a new key with the instructions to use the key immediately. I think you have to register the new key in your meter to activate the change.

That was my understanding but as I said I continued using an old key from a supplier that went bust for nearly a year. I checked the unit rate on my meter regularly and it never changed until one day I somehow got my old key mixed up with the newer edf key.
The payments you were making on the old suppliers key would be forwarded to EDF and as soon as you used the new key it would push the updated prices

image.jpg

Day rate

image.jpg

Night rate. The suspicious side of me thinks this may have been part of the reason to push people onto smart meters. That and those that receive fit payments for solar generation.

Back
Top Bottom