Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

BBC reported something similar back in 2019.

_108296264_optimised-real.wages-2019-aug-13-nc.png.webp

_108295693_earnings.cpi-2019-aug-13-nc.png.webp

Going to look very different today though.

SsGtQE3.jpg

Noticed the message at the bottom.
This is new on my bill I'm sure. Wonder if it's due to the cancelling of the DDs?
Very likely, I expect there is a lot of DD's either been cancelled or just simply bouncing with empty bank accounts.

I am not sure if these kind of fees are the answer though, as its just making the trench that someone has fallen into deeper. Kind of like how account overdraft fees could start a endless cycle.

If I was on the edge every month, with a risk of payments bouncing and a company started applying a £5 fee for failed payments, that would be a DD I would cancel and switch over to manual payments, which doesnt help the company.

Even more controversial if an account in credit got one of these fee's.

If true then its the right thing for Norway to do to protect their own citizens.

We will be massively impacted by it because we have failed to protect our citizens.

Yeah I agree. Fab country. Just back from a week there. So clean. Sensible population size. Used their natural resources to help their country. We just sell all ours off

Anyone reliant on energy for medical needs should be registered to the energy priority services register (PSR) and should therefore be able to be identified to claim additional support with energy bills on a means tested basis.

Companies and governments have got lazy with means testing and support of those genuinely in need I think.
On the WHD consultation for the new WHD, the energy companies to be fair tried to talk some sense into the government, they pointed out customers with certain equipment should be accounted for and their most vulnerable customers are singletons living in small properties.

What the new WHD actually is, is an estimated energy cost based on floor space, floor space primarily determined by council tax data and property type. Only roughly 1/3 of low income people will qualify for the new WHD, they have to be deemed high energy use, actual bill cost is ignored they just use the formula, with only 7% of low income people in flats been eligible.

The charities who took part in the consultation seemed useless they didnt object to anything.

Yeah I agree. Fab country. Just back from a week there. So clean. Sensible population size. Used their natural resources to help their country. We just sell all ours off

Sure but Norway is 5 million people, naturally their oil money goes a long way when split between a population that small. I don't think the UK made the best choices with the North Sea oil reserves but it's not like we could've been Norway either with a population 13x the size.

It's kind of like saying Saudi Arabia made sensible choices and we didn't, Norway literally isn't much different except it's cold

Why did the UK get rid of most, or all, of it's gas storage tanks anyway? We could be filling them up with a steady trickle, readying them for use when we need them most. I know a local one that was taken down and now there's just a concrete patch where it used to be. :confused:

Why did the UK get rid of most, or all, of it's gas storage tanks anyway? We could be filling them up with a steady trickle, readying them for use when we need them most. I know a local one that was taken down and now there's just a concrete patch where it used to be. :confused:

They don't hold much gas relative to how much we use and are a pretty nasty hazard

Sure but Norway is 5 million people, naturally their oil money goes a long way when split between a population that small. I don't think the UK made the best choices with the North Sea oil reserves but it's not like we could've been Norway either with a population 13x the size.

It's kind of like saying Saudi Arabia made sensible choices and we didn't, Norway literally isn't much different except it's cold
We privatised all the profits, norway has a massive wealth fund.

With the £67 off a month from October. As far as I understand it my dual fuel is £110 a month so they will deduct the £67 from that so each month my DD will be £100 - £67 leaving me paying £43. Now my question is, as my partner only pays £40 a month at her house will she lose out on the full £67 scheme and just not pay anything for those months and be getting £40 discount and losing the extra £27. Should I get her to change her DD to £70 a month (in reality only paying £3) so she gets the full benefit of the scheme.
My supplier isn't available now but I am going to call tomorrow I'm with Octopus. They haven't said anything about if your payments are under the £67 pm amount.

With the £67 off a month from October. As far as I understand it my dual fuel is £110 a month so they will deduct the £67 from that so each month my DD will be £100 - £67 leaving me paying £43. Now my question is, as my partner only pays £40 a month at her house will she lose out on the full £67 scheme and just not pay anything for those months and be getting £40 discount and losing the extra £27. Should I get her to change her DD to £70 a month (in reality only paying £3) so she gets the full benefit of the scheme.
My supplier isn't available now but I am going to call tomorrow I'm with Octopus. They haven't said anything about if your payments are under the £67 pm amount.
Are you both on a fixed rate as otherwise your bills are likely to go up by 70 - 80% in October so you may find her DD is put up in time anyway.

That isn't true though. I will do it if I think its appropriate at the time. October is still 2 months away.
The stars will never align.

Surveyor will want to see a sworn statement, your bank and energy accounts, and pictures of the bailiffes through your Ring before he believes you. Even then he won't admit that he believes you. :p
It's dan, you'd have to check if he said the sky was blue.

Norway was always going to protect it's own citizens, or the EU trading countries(de) for that matter, it would be interesting to see how they worded the recent centrica gas contract,
any get out clause.

BBC reported something similar back in 2019.
look at the report I referenced jul2023 (respected resolution foundation) it is the latest data uncorrupted by covid issues, and the point is comparison with eu friends,
they have a lot more margin to pay for increased fuel prices on their household budget., several £K per year.

Flats starting at 255k replaced the gas storage tanks round my way!

If you mean the classic ones, they were there to basically balance local demand in peak times, low pressure (so despite being quite big not much storage), and as has been said they were a fairly major hazard.

They were basically there because at the time it was the only way to maintain working pressure in the gas network, these days they're completely unnecessary and unsuitable and wouldn't have made any real difference as they were not "pressurised" as such (to give an idea of how they worked, IIRC the roof would drop to force the gas out into the pipes when the incoming pressure was low enough they needed to start to maintain pressure).
I'd guess each one probably only gave a few hours of storage for it's area at most, hence why you'd see them in anything from a single one, to a pair or a bunch together.

They were roughly the equivalent of the little water towers you still see in some places, not enough to actually supply for long, but enough to ensure the taps worked.

Back
Top Bottom