Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

When I do a full bed change, I use the washer twice, as the washer is too small for double duvet, sheet and 4 pillowcases. Can't be doing with washing the two in 9 hours.
How does a set of sheets not fit in your washing machine?

That should go in a standard 7kg machine with some other stuff.

Seriously wondering what is the point of the offgem cap? It just goes up and up. I thought it was there to stop us getting ripped off :rolleyes:

Seriously going to have to consider shutting the heating down this winter and stocking up on jumpers and thermals. Because a 4k energy bill is just insane.

But surely at some point someone who supplies the raw materials stops getting paid.

At the moment it seems like suppliers (Scottish Power, British gas etc) are absorbing loss. Some are vertically integrated.

But if millions stop paying I guess there would come a time that the producers end up not getting paid and literally stop suppling oil/gas.

I suppose at that point government pays, running up national debt?

At this level I basically have no idea what could happen I suppose.
Yeah I am going to assume that would be the only option. The Government have already taken on Bulb to stop it failing I think.

There is no competitive retail market now anyway. Most people are just on the default caps, so what is the role of the retailers right now?

I can see heavy energy consumption industry's being either forced or asked to shut down or ramp down production to help ration energy this winter the government has really ballsed up over this and yet no real action or plan

It's going to be an apocalypse if government don't prop it up.

Anything short of the lib dem thing I saw where government absorbs everything over a set amount is going to break the system.

Higher it goes the more risk of complete failure. What if every supplier fails? I mean how much loss (people not paying) can they take before they quit?

What even happens then?

I'm assuming the majority of Europe is in the same boat

It's obviously completely unsustainable. I'd guess the govt are currently preparing for their 'hero' moment this autumn/winter when they announce some radical policy to address it (probably via more handouts, not by actual policy to secure our energy needs), just as public concern peaks.

It's obviously completely unsustainable. I'd guess the govt are currently preparing for their 'hero' moment this autumn/winter when they announce some radical policy to address it (probably via more handouts, not by actual policy to secure our energy needs), just as public concern peaks.

If my rough maths are correct, and assuming a 2000 a year cost is manageable (on average) the government would have to rack up debt of 50 billion a year while prices were like this.
That's just domestic

Its better than running out of electricity.

I can see heavy energy consumption industry's being either forced or asked to shut down or ramp down production to help ration energy this winter the government has really ballsed up over this and yet no real action or plan
Why? There is no shortage of gas in the U.K., it just costs a sweet fortune.

the mrs is doing my head in having the full leccy cooker running to cook three sausages. She doesn't care as she doesnt have to pay the bills. What sensible options are there as an alternative? Lean green grilling machine? Most of our appliances are pretty old too, is getting a new washing machine\dishwasher a viable way of reducing total energy use or is it a huge folly?

Ofgem have made mistakes but they don't exist to subsidise the UK energy market - If energy prices go up there is nothing they can do.

A windfall tax on fossil fuel companies and use that tax to subsidise energy costs. Only the government could do this, and come September 5th when Sunak/Truss get in office, they need to have a solution from day 1 with aim to have it ready to go before October. If they don't there will be chaos.

the mrs is doing my head in having the full leccy cooker running to cook three sausages. She doesn't care as she doesnt have to pay the bills. What sensible options are there as an alternative? Lean green grilling machine? Most of our appliances are pretty old too, is getting a new washing machine\dishwasher a viable way of reducing total energy use or is it a huge folly?

Get one of those air cooker things uses less than half of the leccy when only cooking a few things we got 1 use it all the time and it's quick and easy to clean

I use a small size gorge foreman grill for small portions, like a few sausages etc, takes 5-10 minutes at most, uses 1/5th to 1/3rd of the electricity an oven/grill would use.

Enrol on the Andrew Tate domestic harmony course and buy a baseball bat?

Get one of those air cooker things uses less than half of the leccy when only cooking a few things we got 1 use it all the time and it's quick and easy to clean

I've thought about these before.
Can they cook almost anything?
We have a 1.5 size range master and feels a waste cooking a few sausages in it.

Caveat. My gf is vegan so we usually have those type of sausages/burgers. Like beyond burger but tesco version

A barbecue and a few foraged branches and twigs. Will probably taste better as well. :)

Actually a small steel colander and a wire grid makes an ideal mini barbecue set up.

Back
Top Bottom