Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I think I need to look into a smart thermostat solution. Unfortunately I know less than zero about central heating and how it works at this point :(
I'm guessing you'd recommend tado - are there any other solutions worth looking at?
Have you got thermostatic radiator valves on your radiators? If yes, get tado°. You can get smart TRVs and then control rooms individually. Should be big savings by doing that this winter.

Associate
Have you got thermostatic radiator valves on your radiators? If yes, get tado°. You can get smart TRVs and then control rooms individually. Should be big savings by doing that this winter.
Yes I do...

And my local heating guy just arrived to do my annual service - perfect timing, I'll grill him about what type of thermostats etc I have! :D

Soldato
My first reaction: "Bah. 5W is nothing!"

***adds it up***

~£22/year and 50p per kWh :eek:
Lots of these things didn't use to matter as energy was so cheap now suddenly they are significant I've always ignored my SONOS stuff as it 'only' pulls 18W total while idle which could now is suddenly a significant saving. In some ways I think this is a good thing as it is highlighting the lazy waste that goes on in big developed economies something like 10-15% of the UK's electricity usage is believed to go on devices in standby if we could eliminate such pointless waste we could save the country as a whole a fortune as we would need to import less electricity and Gas.

Soldato
Yes I do...

And my local heating guy just arrived to do my annual service - perfect timing, I'll grill him about what type of thermostats etc I have! :D

Ask him if there's anything he can do the lower the flow and return temperatures of your system. For example, you may be able to get away with a flow temp of 70C to your heating system, and as low as 48C for domestic hot water. On the heating system, the bigger the delta T (temperature difference), the better. Though this is much easier to deal with in winter...

Associate
Ask him if there's anything he can do the lower the flow and return temperatures of your system. For example, you may be able to get away with a flow temp of 70C to your heating system, and as low as 48C for domestic hot water. On the heating system, the bigger the delta T (temperature difference), the better. Though this is much easier to deal with in winter...
I can control radiator and tap temperature separately, that's no issue...

Caporegime
Cant tell if serious.
I can save more than that from wearing the same clothes multiple times without washing them.

how many on here wash jeans every wash? isn't underwear so your trousers don't get dirty but something else does

How many people have smart fridges with electronic displays? I bet they use way more power than a cheaper fridge

Soldato
I can save more than that from wearing the same clothes multiple times without washing them.

how many on here wash jeans every wash? isn't underwear so your trousers don't get dirty but something else does
Its £12. I'd rather I had that than somebody else, and its £12 for basically doing nothing. As I said, plenty of devices like this draining 5w around the house so the savings will soon add up. Come October/January these savings will be £24 as well.

Soldato
Boiler has dials for each one. I have the heating one set to the eco setting which I believe is around 65-70 degrees, and the taps at about 55. Wifey likes a hot shower, so not going lower than that! :D

Does she shower in 55 degree water? She must be very red!!! The shower will have a thermostatic mixing valve that brins the temperature down to a usable level. My wife is the same, but isn't red due to scalding hot water. I suggest you gradually turn it down without telling her. She won't know. 44C is considered the limit for humans before they're scalded!

You might be able to run your boiler at an even lower temperature as the heating season begins. I try and run mine at 50C to begin with, and as it gets colder outside I gradually increase it up to about 70C max. But getting a low return temperature is critical - it means you have actually deposited the heat into the building and aren't just sending hot water back to the boiler.

Soldato
Normally I would laugh at this, but actually this could surprise many
After installing the smart meter, found that the pleasure of having my oven showing the clock costs 5W an hour. (My router is only using 6W)
Over a year it adds up
My first reaction: "Bah. 5W is nothing!"

***adds it up***

~£22/year at 50p per kWh :eek:

Yup, you soon realise that in the kitchen alone the microwave, oven, induction hob, washing machine and tumble drier all draw power when ‘off’. Fortunately our extractor is dumb and has an actual on off switch.

I’ve not measured them all individually but they are all adding to the base load and it takes 2 seconds to turn them off when you are done with them.

Caporegime
Its £12. I'd rather I had that than somebody else, and its £12 for basically doing nothing. As I said, plenty of devices like this draining 5w around the house so the savings will soon add up. Come October/January these savings will be £24 as well.
seems so less I doubt it.

you could sit int he dark and save 25watts or whatever but who wants to be doing all this tiny petty stuff, will just drive you crazy for the sake of a few pence a day.

switch one thing in your shopping basket to a cheaper version instead

Associate
You might be able to run your boiler at an even lower temperature as the heating season begins. I try and run mine at 50C to begin with, and as it gets colder outside I gradually increase it up to about 70C max. But getting a low return temperature is critical - it means you have actually deposited the heat into the building and aren't just sending hot water back to the boiler.
The hot water would just be circulated back into the heating loop with minimal "reheating" applied if the return water is hot... No storage tank here. It's all on-demand.

Soldato
The hot water would just be circulated back into the heating loop with minimal "reheating" applied if the return water is hot... No storage tank here. It's all on-demand.
While true, the boiler never gets into its efficient condensing mode and thus it costs you more money to run. Plus it’s constantly off, on, off, on, off, on. Etc.

Soldato

you could sit int he dark and save 25watts or whatever but who wants to be doing all this tiny petty stuff, will just drive you crazy for the sake of a few pence a day.

Nah, I'll stick with better quality food and save easy money on my household bills instead.

Soldato

That £12 is an extra meal for some people.

Back
Top Bottom