Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
There was a report from the BoE that said 9% was tolerable. If I find it I’ll post it. Worth also considering that homeowners are usually much further up the earning and saving bands then non home owners. They are more able to withstand financial pressures.
Hard to imagine it'd be tolerable. Average cost of a home seemingly £277k so if you just took out a mortgage in the past few years you could realistically have a £200-250k balance. A 2% fixed rate jumping to 9% when remortgaging basically doubles the cost of that mortgage. You'd be paying circa £850-1000 a month more (so £10-12k a year more in mortgage payments).

Caporegime
Hard to imagine it'd be tolerable. Average cost of a home seemingly £277k so if you just took out a mortgage in the past few years you could realistically have a £200-250k balance. A 2% fixed rate jumping to 9% when remortgaging basically doubles the cost of that mortgage. You'd be paying circa £850-1000 a month more (so £10-12k a year more in mortgage payments).

Exactly the situation we were in. We 210 debt. Where 1pc is 100ppm.

When 1pc = 100ppm things get unpleasant quickly. And frightening is very real..

Something couldn't possibly have considered just a year ago. So many of us haven't ever been impacted or even seen normal Interest rates.

In isolation this isn't too bad. It sucks but it isn't life wrecking. But when energy can jump 100s a month too. You're looking at life changing stuff.

Soldato
The average mortgage debt for houses not fully owned (approx. 60% are fully owned) is £137k.

Soldato
The average mortgage debt for houses not fully owned (approx. 60% are fully owned) is £137k.
But 49.7% of all mortgage debts are either single earner at over 4x income or joint earners borrowing over 3x their income so room for manoeuvre for many across all relatively significant debt values wouldn't be particularly high.

Soldato
It’s so unlikely to get to 9% but as mentioned that is the limit that BoE identified. Inflation is expected to cool off next year so should be short lived. What is more likely to cause a mess is BoE get it wrong bring rates up too fast and causing a shock to industry which causes them to rein in spending which causes lots of lay-offs. That is the real red flag I would be watching for.

I wouldn't rule it out. What would you have thought a year ago if someone told you that within the next 12 months interest rates would be getting close to 20% and your energy prices are going be increasing by more than 3x? No one would have been taken seriously, yet here we are.

Soldato
I wouldn't rule it out. What would you have thought a year ago if someone told you that within the next 12 months interest rates would be getting close to 20% and your energy prices are going be increasing by more than 3x? No one would have been taken seriously, yet here we are.
Very true.

Consider me jealous.
Unfortunately I’m not one of those fortunate enough either. I’ll be riding the interest and inflation rollercoaster with everyone else.

Ah, well, the average mortgage debt for a house fully owned would be £0 surely? :p
Yes but they aren’t part of the average mortgage value as there is none of course.

Soldato
Family of 6 we spend £800-£1000 a month in supermarkets according to my bank app

May I ask the ages? £1k seems pretty high. I can make dinner for 4 adults for about £5 if needed (probably slightly more now). My family, me, wife, 2 boys (4 and 7) average monthly spend c£450 - Sainsburys as well (could save say c10-15% if I switched up to Aldi all the time)

Side note, I did find the BBC Inflation calculator amusing, similar household monthly spend figures:

Eating and drinking out: £285?!
Clothes - £181 -> Who actually spends this much on clothes each month?
Holidays - £128
Childcare - £45 (the most amusing one)

Soldato
If things are really do end up as bad as people are predicting the consequences for the rest of the economy can't be good. If people are spending vast proportions of income on energy they'll be nothing left to spend on the normal goods and services.
Mega recession

Soldato
Family of 6 we spend £800-£1000 a month in supermarkets according to my bank app

52292142580_c1ceb713e2_w.jpg

Soldato
May I ask the ages? £1k seems pretty high. I can make dinner for 4 adults for about £5 if needed (probably slightly more now).

My family, me, wife, 2 boys (4 and 7) average monthly spend c£400 - Sainsburys as well (could save say c10-15% if I switched up to Aldi all the time)
We don't eat fancy food but that included beer and wine which I drink most days. Perhaps I drink too much.

13,11, 9,7. (48,40)

She cooks from scratch most nights.

Soldato
We don't eat fancy food but that included beer and wine which I drink most days. Perhaps I drink too much

She cooks from scratch most nights.

Each to their own I guess, I wasn't questioning that.

Just to qualify, I'm not talking steak :D I'm talking bolognase from scratch for about £5-6. Mince, Pasta, Passata, some herbs etc, garlic bread. Even some self made gusto recipes (we stopped it after the discounted trial) we frequently make can come in fairly good value :)

Soldato
Each to their own I guess, I wasn't questioning that.

Just to qualify, I'm not talking steak :D I'm talking bolognase from scratch for about £5-6. Mince, Pasta, Passata, some herbs etc, garlic bread. Even some self made gusto recipes (we stopped it after the discounted trial) we frequently make
can come in fairly good value
Been thinking of cutting down anyway. I have been drinking a lot of red wine lately so that would save me a fair bit

Back
Top Bottom