Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Why? I decided to fix when it was clear it would be rising a lot further. That was my decision and it turned out to be a good one.

Just because people aren't on benefits doesn't mean they can easily afford these huge bills. You can't punish people for working.
Nobody can afford these bills.

Soldato
Done exactly this via MSE, Lebara 12GB Data for 1p a month for 6 months, followed by £6.90 BUT its only 1mnth rolling; I've effectively got a 12GB data mobile service for pennies and then I'll just switch again after 6 months is up.
Had a look but nothing close on there. It would go up to £15 a month from the £10.50 I pay now to go with them and my contract is another year anyways.

Caporegime
Indeed, I have kinda just been holding onto it but got that point now where I will likely sub for month each year at xmas and that it now.

And yeah the car costs don't but can't do a lot about it. 600+ miles a week unfortunately. Problem is because of finances I can't actually remortage to move closer to work which is what I looked at in January to save about £300 of the fuel bill at least.

Yeah if 600 miles a week, what can you do.
Is child care based purely on salary?

Its quite horrifying really how you can earn well over average but be no better off than someone with a bit more than nothing.

Can you change jobs?

Soldato
  • Childcare is minimum 18% of Gross wage, not your net for whatever reason so that takes almost £1k out of takehome alone.
  • Mortgage and help to buy is another £600 a month
  • Gas & Electric £200
  • Council Tax £200
  • Car Fuel £450
  • Food & Clothes £100
  • House insurance £20
  • Car Insurance £35
  • Car Finance £188
  • Internet (will reduce when can but on a 24 month contract that only started January and is used for work) £55
  • Mobile £10.50
  • Netflix £16
So that gets you to about £2874.50 leaving me £18 out of my take home.

If you can make it work, ditch the current car and get yourself a cheap EV! If you can get Octopus Go then that £450/month will be more like £50. That would give you almost £600/month towards a car, with whatever was left over in your pocket.

So.. Do we think its going to be an actual genuine break down of society this winter?

If the tories don't provide substantially more how can it not be?

Let's face it, if they don't give money directly they are going to be taking on failed suppliers anyway.

Not going to lie, it's concerning. Even if you aren't impacted directly this amount of potential civil unrest will affect everyone.

I fully expect to see scenes on the news I've never seen in the UK in my lifetime

I expect it will fully get underway in November. Pre Christmas, grim weather, first real bills land

All this talk of cancelling direct debits or asking for whole month billing is really going to bite when that happens. People who are currently complaining about having to pay £300/month and having their DD increased even though they are in credit are going to **** themselves when their heating kicks in and they have bills for £7-800+ over winter rather than spreading the cost over the year.

Soldato
Because despite fixing a couple of months ago, my bills had already risen significantly... the £400 was given out based on that initial rise.
It's nothing compared to whats coming though.

People fixed on low rates are essentially being subsidised by those who were too late to fix, had their fix end recently or had their supplier go under. The current £400 should go to everyone but further support shouldn't go to people who have a low fixed price (and I mean low as in prior to April).

Soldato
If you can make it work, ditch the current car and get yourself a cheap EV! If you can get Octopus Go then that £450/month will be more like £50. That would give you almost £600/month towards a car, with whatever was left over in your pocket.

No such thing as a cheap EV, particularly one that can do >100 miles.

Caporegime
People on cheap fixes shouldnt get the £400. Should be easy to sort that out as well.

As someone on a cheap fix I agree with you.
I do not need this 400.

Issue would be.. What is a cheap fix?

Im guessing any new funding wouldn't come to me as I certainly wouldn't be most vulnerable.

Soldato
I can't get finance approved to get any EV. I tried that prior but with the high mileage I do the quotes are about £600 a month for the cheapest car!

Man of Honour
Nobody can afford these bills.

There are people who can very easily afford it, and they should ultimately be propping up those who need it. Will never happen though.

Aren't landlords getting £400 per property with no obligation to pass it to their tenants?

People fixed on low rates are essentially being subsidised by those who were too late to fix, had their fix end recently or had their supplier go under. The current £400 should go to everyone but further support shouldn't go to people who have a low fixed price.

Yes I understand the logic in that. This entire thing needs to be looked at in more detail and means tested properly.

Caporegime

People fixed on low rates are essentially being subsidised by those who were too late to fix, had their fix end recently or had their supplier go under. The current £400 should go to everyone but further support shouldn't go to people who have a low fixed price (and I mean low as I prior to April).

Definitely agree with this.

Along with landlords not benefiting from multiple properties etc

Soldato
No such thing as a cheap EV, particularly one that can do >100 miles.

A 2nd hand Leaf or Zoe can be had for ~£8k on finance from a dealer. You are absolutely correct they won't do 100 miles, but if he can charge at work then it would be feasible. Hence why I said "if you can make it work". It might not, but certainly worth looking into.

Soldato
Aren't landlords getting £400 per property with no obligation to pass it to their tenants?
It'll go to the bill payers account per property afaik, so unless that's the landlord then no
Yes I understand the logic in that. This entire thing needs to be looked at in more detail and means tested properly.
Depends, sometimes it's cheaper and quicker just to pay out a blanket amount to everyone than the cost and time to work out a means test, though this £400 hasn't exactly been speedy!

The other £800 of help coming is means tested for people on benefits though, which is fair enough

Associate
I'm just going to keep paying what I do now, they are happy to have my money when I'm in credit so they will have to be happy when I'm in debt too.

We've tried our hardest to cut down on usage and are currently using around 60kWh less a month than last year but we were careful last year and got by on £69 a month and ended up in credit at the end of the year.
Now they expect £250 a month just to keep even, just can't happen and there will be millions worse of than me.

Back
Top Bottom