Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
What is this storage heater? I know not everyone has gas fired ch system, is this just for people with electric only?

If you have an electric heater on all day long then 100% yes it's going to be incredibly expensive to run.

Soldato
No Gas out in rural areas in mid Wales, the 70's bungalows came fitted with a storage heater in each room from New, many are just the same now.
Estates of them with 50+ houses all exactly the same....horrid things.

My LL loves storage heaters as well I assume as they cheap to install, my flat having a boiler is very odd for his portfolio of properties. He tried to get me to switch when I was pushing for a new boiler.

Associate
What is this storage heater? I know not everyone has gas fired ch system, is this just for people with electric only?

If you have an electric heater on all day long then 100% yes it's going to be incredibly expensive to run.
Storage heaters, they run on Eco7 tariffs heat up on 7 hour cheap rate over night ,then release the heat through the day.
Now cheap rate is not cheap= problem.

Soldato
It sounds like you not measuring your usage and have just assumed its because you at home all day, 600 is really high (20 kwh a day) usage. Kind of a/c on 24/7 territory type usage, or maybe immersion boiler on or something.
600 kWh a month is not really high use.
I would guess an average family of 4 living in a semi / detached house would be using around that.

We use 16-18 kWh a day (about 520 a month) and run nothing special.

Soldato
Soldato

That's bs right? 1kw for a 6min shower?

can’t speak for the dishwasher, but the electric shower is about right, we have a 9.8kw shower so 6 minutes roughly for 1 kWh, I time my showers. 2-3 mins tops.

Soldato
Not sure if mentioned, but has anyone else had an email from their energy supplier about how the £400 is going to be paid? I got an email from British Gas the other day that stated that I will still pay my normal DD amount then a few days later they will refund me £66 in my DD bank account. I thought the idea was to ensure that this money is used to pay energy usage not just into your bank? It also implies that if you don't pay them your full DD you won't get the payment but I maybe wrong.

Soldato
Thats the main consequence, but if I was in a position where I knew I couldnt pay my bills, my credit is going down the ******* anyway, so I would consider joining in at that point, of course there might be people who can pay and have joined this movement without realising the consequences. Hence all the educational videos and posts been made now to try and alert them.

A mass street protest would have been better
It’s been mentioned a few times that people unable to pay can get help. I would be pursuing that as the best avenue.

Soldato
You guys forget that for most people not paying is the only choice they have. It wasn't made for them, they simply cannot afford it.

Its either food/rent or pay for electric.

And this none existent used condom of a government has spent the last few years enriching themselves and their friends at our expense. Don't expect the Tory scum to do anything realistic they are basically AWOL right now and have been for quite some time.

Commissario
Live in a poorly insulated flat and am at home all day most days.

It sounds like you not measuring your usage and have just assumed its because you at home all day, 600 is really high (20 kwh a day) usage. Kind of a/c on 24/7 territory type usage, or maybe immersion boiler on or something.
Fairly well insulated, but it's detached (so no shielding from neighbouring houses), and south facing with large windows (blackout blinds have helped)

I've actually spent a reasonable amount of time looking at what is drawing and when, and can tie most of the changes in use to when people get up and their habits, for example minimum load is around 100watts (networking etc), but then because there are people in all the time the fridge gets opened at least once or twice an hour ruining it's efficiency (it's A rated, fairly modern but kicks in a lot because of it being opened), two computers which seem to use about 150-200 watts each (inc the monitors) when not gaming, a TV in the lounge that uses around 100 watts.

It's literally the fact there are 3 people in the house, and they're in separate rooms much of the time** that makes up much of the use, then an electric cooker and hob that can easily account for 3-4 units when doing meals if say the steamer is used (the oven uses around 2.5kw to heat up then drops to around 100-200 watts, but the hobs use something like 2-4lw each almost constantly if on). I can see on the usage meter for the solar/hourly data on the smart meter exactly when the draw changes and by how much.

I dread to think how much worse it could be without LED lighting, as my dad's eyes are bad enough that he needs really bright light a lot of the time, going back 20 years he used to have something like 6-10x 60 watt bulbs in his living room, modern LED's pushed the wattage needed down to ~20 watts (with a very bright lamp just behind his chair which has a 100watt equivalent bulb at the recommendation of the hospital for when it's needed).

It's the reason we got solar fitted, we know our usage is abnormally high due to there being three adults in the house most of the time and it made sense (it's cut our reliance on the grid by around 80%, we're currently exporting more than we're importing).

*The sun is hitting the large windows pretty much all day, even in the winter the front bedroom upstairs can be overheating at times, it's a typical 70's build, so no insulation between floors, but we've double glazed it, had cavity wall, and loft insulation done.

**Space is needed to maintain sanity ;)

Commissario
I sit at 400-500kw during the summer and 600-700 in the winter.
4 kids and wifey at home all day.

Hoping the heat pump dryer makes a dent in it, the old style vented one was in the garage. Which thinking about it was mega inefficient.
Aye we're looking at a heat pump dryer, it's expensive but we can get a Samsung one with 5 year warranty for ~600, which given the usage our dryer gets in the winter could be a good investment especially if most of the energy it's using is effectively put back into heating the house rather than vented.

Man of Honour
Storage heaters, they run on Eco7 tariffs heat up on 7 hour cheap rate over night ,then release the heat through the day.

I hate storage heaters i had them for years when i was renting,
they let out all the heat during the day when you're out at work and then have to have expensive portable heaters on in the evening :/

Commissario
I hate storage heaters i had them for years when i was renting,
they let out all the heat during the day when you're out at work and then have to have expensive portable heaters on in the evening :/
Yarp.

IIRC all the "Council" houses at the end of our street were built as electric only* and the complaint that pretty much everyone who lived in them had was that the heating was terrible and expensive.

*There are two main differences between them and the private ones, the private ones had larger roofs (normal 45degree type you could actually get into, vs the much lower ones on the council ones), and gas from the word go, the housing association retrofitted gas about 10 years ago.

Soldato

Can confirm that cheap rate is no longer cheap. Im on E7 and im currently paying 23.19p Day and 11.96 Night with 17p SC. This ends on 29th Sept and my new "fixed rate" would be 64.65p Day and 49.28 Night with 44.84p SC. My monthly DD will go from £90 a month to £273 a month. I'm about £200 in credit and the £400 from the gov will ease it a little but im still prepping for a right arseholing with a sandpaper *****.

Obviously I joke when i say this, but its looking more and more tempting to go into my energy account and change the contract end date from 2022 to 2023 and ride another year on cheapo prices however it wont do me much good when i dont have a job because of it!!!!

Soldato

That's bs right? 1kw for a 6min shower?

I actually replied to you yesterday saying an electric shower for 5 mins was about 0.83 kwh, so yes, 6 mins being 1 kwh makes sense.

Fairly well insulated, but it's detached (so no shielding from neighbouring houses), and south facing with large windows (blackout blinds have helped)

I've actually spent a reasonable amount of time looking at what is drawing and when, and can tie most of the changes in use to when people get up and their habits, for example minimum load is around 100watts (networking etc), but then because there are people in all the time the fridge gets opened at least once or twice an hour ruining it's efficiency (it's A rated, fairly modern but kicks in a lot because of it being opened), two computers which seem to use about 150-200 watts each (inc the monitors) when not gaming, a TV in the lounge that uses around 100 watts.

It's literally the fact there are 3 people in the house, and they're in separate rooms much of the time** that makes up much of the use, then an electric cooker and hob that can easily account for 3-4 units when doing meals if say the steamer is used (the oven uses around 2.5kw to heat up then drops to around 100-200 watts, but the hobs use something like 2-4lw each almost constantly if on). I can see on the usage meter for the solar/hourly data on the smart meter exactly when the draw changes and by how much.

I dread to think how much worse it could be without LED lighting, as my dad's eyes are bad enough that he needs really bright light a lot of the time, going back 20 years he used to have something like 6-10x 60 watt bulbs in his living room, modern LED's pushed the wattage needed down to ~20 watts (with a very bright lamp just behind his chair which has a 100watt equivalent bulb at the recommendation of the hospital for when it's needed).

It's the reason we got solar fitted, we know our usage is abnormally high due to there being three adults in the house most of the time and it made sense (it's cut our reliance on the grid by around 80%, we're currently exporting more than we're importing).

*The sun is hitting the large windows pretty much all day, even in the winter the front bedroom upstairs can be overheating at times, it's a typical 70's build, so no insulation between floors, but we've double glazed it, had cavity wall, and loft insulation done.

**Space is needed to maintain sanity ;)

Right, but in your case presumably this is also 3 working professionals perhaps who are also contributing to bills and things?

Soldato
Can confirm that cheap rate is no longer cheap. Im on E7 and im currently paying 23.19p Day and 11.96 Night with 17p SC. This ends on 29th Sept and my new "fixed rate" would be 64.65p Day and 49.28 Night with 44.84p SC. My monthly DD will go from £90 a month to £273 a month. I'm about £200 in credit and the £400 from the gov will ease it a little but im still prepping for a right arseholing with a sandpaper *****.

Obviously I joke when i say this, but its looking more and more tempting to go into my energy account and change the contract end date from 2022 to 2023 and ride another year on cheapo prices however it wont do me much good when i dont have a job because of it!!!!

May as well be on the price cap at those prices.

Soldato
May as well be on the price cap at those prices.
Thats what im thinking. Prices announced on the 26th August and we will usually get a few hours notice at work before the new prices go live so if the cap is lower ill sit on the cap, if the cap is on par or higher than the fixed then i have a few hours to jump on the fixed prices before they are pulled and higher ones are put up.

Back
Top Bottom