Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
As a minimum it’s going to screw up many peoples ability to get credit and what credit they can get will get expensive. Credit cards, phone contracts, car insurance, car loans, mortgages etc. people are going to sacrifice a lot just to make a statement.
This isn't just a statement, this isn't some dodgy political nonsense this about people much worse off than any of us here who won't have any options between heat or food and our government letting these companies post massive profits at the expense of lives.

Soldato
This isn't just a statement, this isn't some dodgy political nonsense this about people much worse off than any of us here who won't have any options between heat or food and our government letting these companies post massive profits at the expense of lives.
There are better ways for people to get help that’s the point. The repercussions of this will be long lasting and won’t go away overnight.

Unless we are going to open the taps on Russian gas again it’s going to be pain until we’ve divested from oil and gas enough, at least 100% away from it for fuels/energy.

Soldato
You can hit 600kw a month fairly easily if for example you work from home and use electric cooking, or are disabled and stuck in the house.

We're at 620 a month (rough average) simply because there are 3 people in the house most of the time, the "average use" seems to be based on the idea that no one is home for 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week and I strongly suspect may not have been updated in years.

20kwh per day is definitely on the high end. I can only see those sorts of levels being hit with additional usage like crypto farming (which is optional, let's face it).

Ev could explain some of that if you have one, if not and no crypto farming, I'd call it higher usage than expected for a family of 3.

Soldato
You can hit 600kw a month fairly easily if for example you work from home and use electric cooking, or are disabled and stuck in the house.

We're at 620 a month (rough average) simply because there are 3 people in the house most of the time, the "average use" seems to be based on the idea that no one is home for 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week and I strongly suspect may not have been updated in years.
I sit at 400-500kw during the summer and 600-700 in the winter.
4 kids and wifey at home all day.

Hoping the heat pump dryer makes a dent in it, the old style vented one was in the garage. Which thinking about it was mega inefficient.

Soldato
Does this potential 80% hike related to businesses too? Are they just going to start collapsing left and right now? If my bill goes up 80% in October, I'll be paying £270 a month. Yes that sucks, but we can afford it. What if you're a small business and your bill increases from £1000 to £1800 a month, that's a lot harder to swallow.

No cap for business users so they're starting to get hit by far higher rises than domestic users. This really is just the beginning, every single business you deal with day to day directly and indirectly will be putting their prices up, some considerably, lots of others will be closing their doors permanently. I'd expect a large percentage of takeaways, pubs, restaurants etc to close permanently as they'll be hit from all sides, rise in cost of ingredients/produce, fall in trade, staff wanting pay rises and huge increase in utility costs.

Soldato
No cap for business users so they're starting to get hit by far higher rises than domestic users. This really is just the beginning, every single business you deal with day to day directly and indirectly will be putting their prices up, some considerably, lots of others will be closing their doors permanently. I'd expect a large percentage of takeaways, pubs, restaurants etc to close permanently as they'll be hit from all sides, rise in cost of ingredients/produce, fall in trade, staff wanting pay rises and huge increase in utility costs.

Cost to hospitality will be huge indeed. Any who can survive by passing on costs to customers will be charging a lot more than now.

Soldato

Live in a poorly insulated flat and am at home all day most days.

It sounds like you not measuring your usage and have just assumed its because you at home all day, 600 is really high (20 kwh a day) usage. Kind of a/c on 24/7 territory type usage, or maybe immersion boiler on or something.

Associate
20kwh per day is definitely on the high end. I can only see those sorts of levels being hit with additional usage like crypto farming (which is optional, let's face it).

Ev could explain some of that if you have one, if not and no crypto farming, I'd call it higher usage than expected for a family of 3.
Each medium sized storage heater you have can hit 20KW each per day in the winter months, lot of single OAP in 70s bungalows with only storage heaters are well and truly stuffed.

Soldato
Each medium sized storage heater you have can hit 20KW each per day in the winter months, lot of single OAP in 70s bungalows with only storage heaters are well and truly stuffed.
I can understand that, thats why I had the idea of exempting them. Lots of people on portable heaters as well, racking up the usage.

Associate
No Gas out in rural areas in mid Wales, the 70's bungalows came fitted with a storage heater in each room from New, many are just the same now.
Estates of them with 50+ houses all exactly the same....horrid things.

Soldato
As a minimum it’s going to screw up many peoples ability to get credit and what credit they can get will get expensive. Credit cards, phone contracts, car insurance, car loans, mortgages etc. people are going to sacrifice a lot just to make a statement.
Thats the main consequence, but if I was in a position where I knew I couldnt pay my bills, my credit is going down the ******* anyway, so I would consider joining in at that point, of course there might be people who can pay and have joined this movement without realising the consequences. Hence all the educational videos and posts been made now to try and alert them.

A mass street protest would have been better

Back
Top Bottom