Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Does anyone use a clothes airer in combination with a dehumidifier? One of our biggest uses of electric is the tumble dryer and it needs to go.

Yes I do, dehumidifier has a cost as well.

Mine is from 2014 apparently, it's a compressor type (which I think is cheaper to run but needs a min temp to operate).

It uses 190W in operation, and I usually need it running for about 12 hours or so to dry clothes out. Possibly longer in the winter, though I don't usually close the door on the room, I may see if that improves the speed a bit so it's not dehumidifying the whole house.

Associate
Does anyone use a clothes airer in combination with a dehumidifier? One of our biggest uses of electric is the tumble dryer and it needs to go.
we do this in the winter as the wood burner multifuel stove is on and we have a high celling in that room.
Airer is one of the ones(cast iron ends with slats of wood running through it to hang clothes) that you hoist up to the top of the celling.

Soldato
why are energy prices going up? whatever we did that made them increase
can't we do the opposite so they go back down?

is'nt our government there to help us in our country?
Lol seriously? Let's just get Boris to get on the Blower to Putin and tell him to turn the gas taps back on and stop his war?

Soldato
why are energy prices going up? whatever we did that made them increase
can't we do the opposite so they go back down?

is'nt our government there to help us in our country?
You are aware of what is happening in Ukraine? Russia were supplying 40% of all of Europe’s gas. 155bln cubic meters of gas is a hell of a shortfall to make up.

Soldato
how much Gas has Russia stopped Uk having? seriously please educate me.
In a nutshell :
Russia reduced Europe gas flows by 80%, pushing wholesale prices up.
Most of our gas comes from Norway at the market rates, which have increased from about 80p per therm in summer 21 to over 450p per therm now.

Hence energy prices going ballistic and increasing 4x to 8x next year.
[About 45% of UK electricity comes from burning gas and all electricity is priced at the same cost as gas generated elec].

Caporegime
Thats what im thinking. Prices announced on the 26th August and we will usually get a few hours notice at work before the new prices go live so if the cap is lower ill sit on the cap, if the cap is on par or higher than the fixed then i have a few hours to jump on the fixed prices before they are pulled and higher ones are put up.

Is "insider trading" allowed?

Caporegime
can’t speak for the dishwasher, but the electric shower is about right, we have a 9.8kw shower so 6 minutes roughly for 1 kWh, I time my showers. 2-3 mins tops.

I actually replied to you yesterday saying an electric shower for 5 mins was about 0.83 kwh, so yes, 6 mins being 1 kwh makes sense.

Do you run your electric showers at maximum settings?

Soldato
Do you run your electric showers at maximum settings?

Middle setting for me, it has 3 settings I, II, III I run it at II most of the year and III in the depths of winter, and I during the heat waves this year and 50% on the temperature dial. I haven't checked the energy use though, on the different settings/temperatures.

Soldato
Is there anything on the horizon which could lower the price of gas? Like other sources?
The gas price isn’t dropping to current [April 22] prices for at least 12 months, most likely much longer.

Until the UK removes reliance on imported gas then energy costs will continue to be high. We need more renewables along with nuclear, to provide reliable & cheap power when the sun isn’t shining and the wind not blowing.

Caporegime
Middle setting for me, it has 3 settings I, II, III I run it at II most of the year and III in the depths of winter, and I during the heat waves this year and 50% on the temperature dial. I haven't checked the energy use though, on the different settings/temperatures.
I don't have one, I used to have one though. Been a while since I last used an electric shower.

Surely they must use less than their rating if you do dial them back from maximum.

Soldato
Surely they must use less than their rating if you do dial them back from maximum.
Depends on the shower. Some just turn multiple heating elements on at max and you control the temperature by increasing/decreasing flow rate. At a previous place I had a shower with 2 heat settings and a temperature dial. The temperature dial just controls flow rate.

Caporegime
Depends on the shower. Some just turn multiple heating elements on at max and you control the temperature by increasing/decreasing flow rate. At a previous place I had a shower with 2 heat settings and a temperature dial. The temperature dial just controls flow rate.
No idea how they work. Assuming such a thing exists it seems an electric shower with proper flow and temperature controls would pay for itself fairly quickly compared to the type you describe.

Back
Top Bottom