Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

People are going to be screwed for a while. Businesses such as hospitality will also get screwed as disposable income will become less for people. We've got twins on the way too. Fun times!

You should all be using this opportunity to "go green" :p

green meaning pre industrial revolution
Eon claims 80% of my energy is from renewable sources.

I'm guessing 70% of that must be natural gas or petrol then considering my bills about to double.....

Green energy is just a scam and always has been.

whys natural gas any more renewable than oil? oils still being formed

Think its about time to adopt cold showers to cut down on gas usage and taking power banks to work to charge up.

My tariffs with Octopus (in the North East)
Current Rates
Electric 14.99p/kwh - Standing Charge 23.30p
Gas 2.53p/kwh - Standing Charge 20p

New Rates come April (on standard)
Electric 27.09p/kwh - Standing Charge 48.64p
Gas 7.22p/kwh - Standing Charge 27.21p

I already use the least possible I can and very frugal with food choices. I do have enough spare after my pay checks to absorb the cost (until the next rise) but it will leave me with nothing left.

Last edited:
  • Modern house (very high B on energy efficiency rating)
  • Modern appliances (A+++ washing machine and A+ Fridge/Freezer)
  • LED bulbs
  • Nest thermostats (set to 19oC on schedules and also with home/away assist)

I doubt there is much more I can reasonably do to lower my consumption but I'll still expect my bills to triple from current £30/month in May (I'll let you know in a few weeks).

Efficient house and thermostat dont explain why your electric usage is so low though... Do you never boil the kettle or use the washing machine or something? :p

Think i need to invest in one of those plug in watt meters!

This is mental. Checked out Octopus website to see this...

Your new quote
£5,030.79
Based on your estimated annual usage, not the figures you gave when signing up.

Tariff cost breakdown
⚡ Electricity
Daily standing charge 26.45p /day
Unit rate 39.24p /kWh
Early exit fee £0
Gas
Daily standing charge 26.10p /day
Unit rate 12.30p /kWh
Early exit fee £0

We were force migrated when the old supplier went bust but £430 a month for Gas and Electric is just outright un-afforable. Im a little confused though...is this now or is it factoring in Octobers rise as well?

That’s not the capped rate. Go on to the capped rate if you don’t want to fix at a silly high price.

Like it or not, that’s actually competitive for a fix right now from what people have been posting.

All the fixed tariffs are just crazy at the moment, even if we have a 50% increase in October I can't see how they can work out cheaper than staying on a variable plan.

Unless they are expecting another massive price rise in April 23. They'll have to switch a lot of people to prepayment meters if that happens or the debts will just rack up.

I have currently no idea what my energy costs will be once it settles down, mainly because; I had solar PV installed last September and I recently switched to Octopus Go so use the 4 hour slot for charging my EV and other household usage such as dishwasher, washing machine, etc. If I'm generating surplus during the day, I try and use it rather than send it back to the grid (I don't have battery storage). I have my Octopus account set to pay what I use rather than a fixed monthly amount.

According to my EPC, my house is band A and the only other thing I could do to save money would be to get Solar water heating.

That’s not the capped rate. Go on to the capped rate if you don’t want to fix at a silly high price.

Like it or not, that’s actually competitive for a fix right now from what people have been posting.

Sorry what do you mean by the capped rate? The website shows me two options...

Your new tariff options
Octopus 10M Fixed monthly estimate £434.44 monthly estimate

or

Loyal Octopus 10M Fixed
£419.23monthly estimate

Any help is greatly appreciated here as Im very much finding my feet after divorce and a 20 year relationship.

This is mental. Checked out Octopus website to see this...
snip
Those are the fixed tariffs. You should just let your current tariff run out and let it automatically change you to the standard variable which is cheaper than those two tariffs you have been quoted. You should have gotten an email saying "Important: prices will rise in April" with the new standard variable prices on the 2nd page of the PDF.

Your new tariff options

or

Loyal Octopus 10M Fixed
£419.23monthly estimate

Any help is greatly appreciated here as Im very much finding my feet after divorce and a 20 year relationship.

Compare the unit rates, their variable tariff will be around 28p kwh for electric and 7.5p for gas (from April, changes slightly on location)

Fixed tariffs can be as high as 50p a kwh for electric now, maybe higher since I last looked.

Those are the fixed tariffs. You should just let your current tariff run out and let it automatically change you to the standard variable.

I have never been on any sort of fixed tariff as I was force migrated from Avro and they have only just started to bill me now.

So really I need to just leave it as it is then and suck it up?

Your new tariff options

or

Loyal Octopus 10M Fixed
£419.23monthly estimate

Neither of those will be the capped rate. The capped or ‘standard viable tariff’ is what you are put on if you don’t have any other contract with the supplier.

I’d go have have a look at the money saving expert pages on this if you’ve not dealt with it before. They are well informed and have been tracking the market for years.

I have never been on any sort of fixed tariff as I was force migrated from Avro and they have only just started to bill me now.

So really I need to just leave it as it is then and suck it up?
Check your emails for ""Important: prices will rise in April" it will give you the standard variable prices in your area that you will be moved to automatically. Under no circumstances you should agree to one of the fixed rates. Also yes you have to suck up the increase, there is nothing we can do about it.

Fair enough. Thanks for the help. Thats a couple of days overtime a month needed then it looks like!
Then you also need to factor in increasing fuel costs for your car, increased food/produce costs and the next rise in August and probably the one after that also :rolleyes:
Everything is going up and its going to continue to go up with no adjustment in wages.

Eon claims 80% of my energy is from renewable sources.

I'm guessing 70% of that must be natural gas or petrol then considering my bills about to double.....

Green energy is just a scam and always has been.

whys natural gas any more renewable than oil? oils still being formed

lol how do you think natural gas and oil is formed? Was formed.
Im an ex oil field geologist, it always amuses me to ask.
Ive had some cracking ideas over the years including "just scoop up more from the seabed right?"

I dont
Then you also need to factor in increasing fuel costs for your car, increased food/produce costs and the next rise in August and probably the one after that also :rolleyes:
Everything is going up and its going to continue to go up with no adjustment in wages.

I don't drive so its £10 for travel and something to eat. Work on commission as well as time and a half hourly rate for overtime as well so I can appreciate I'm not going to be as effected as a lot of people.

See what happens with pay rise this year though!

Don't forget the NI increase

Back
Top Bottom