Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Unit rate 39.24p /kWh

Move to iceland for some of that geothermal sounds more feasible then that price. Maybe dont go for the fixed price just own some energy firm shares so you hedge your bets.

Are any of the special octopus tariffs viable at all. They told me the agile one doesnt work well at present as its relying on market pricing but isnt there ever a quiet period where its cheap, thats the point right:confused:

Not at the moment, pretty much everyone ditched agile and went back to go when the economy started getting back on track because that’s when prices started going nuts, even overnight.

lol how do you think natural gas and oil is formed? Was formed.
Im an ex oil field geologist, it always amuses me to ask.
Ive had some cracking ideas over the years including "just scoop up more from the seabed right?"
I'm guessing it's formed from plants/animals that die and decompose then heat+pressure and what evaporates or whatever gets trapped in the earth, in a process that takes a very long time compared to our life span.

I'm not saying we can just create more.

my point was electric companies like E.on seem to class it as renewable energy to make themselves look nice and green when it's just a scam, or they wouldn't need to raise bills by so much when gas/oil prices go up.

my point was electric companies like E.on seem to class it as renewable energy to make themselves look nice and green when it's just a scam, or they wouldn't need to raise bills by so much when gas/oil prices go up.

All energy enters the same system and is bought and sold by retailers. If you're on a renewable tariff you don't get supplied only renewable energy and its still bought at wholesale prices.

I take it you arent familiar with the concept of supply and demand? If prices for non renewable sources goes up then there is more demand for "your" green energy and so the price of that goes up as well

Efficient house and thermostat dont explain why your electric usage is so low though... Do you never boil the kettle or use the washing machine or something? :p

Think i need to invest in one of those plug in watt meters!

Yeah, I boil the kettle 2-3 times a day, use an electric grill daily (George foreman thing) as opposed to the oven, gas hob.... Washing machine is A+++ rated and I use the Eco wash @ 40oC to save electric.

Shower runs from Combi boiler so no big cost there.

My Scottish Power dual-fuel has historically been £60/month since 2010, rising to £80 during covid. I've been WFH so I could live with the £20 increase no probs.

But now they want £260. I'm not using any more electric and it's been a mild winter. I'm actually £74 in credit. So is this some sort of mistake? It's no way for a single person 1-bed house that it would more than triple up from £80 to £280?

vqk3adU.png

But now they want £260. I'm not using any more electric and it's been a mild winter. I'm actually £74 in credit. So is this some sort of mistake? It's no way for a single person 1-bed house that it would more than triple up from £80 to £280?

Dont worry, I'm sure that once the immediate energy crisis is over the prices will drop back down to reflect the cheaper costs again...right?.....*looks at everyone*...right??

My Scottish Power dual-fuel has historically been £60/month since 2010, rising to £80 during covid. I've been WFH so I could live with the £20 increase no probs.

vqk3adU.png

If you fix, yes that is right. Because fixes are well above the new April price cap. If you go onto variable it will be cheaper than that fix..... until October anyway.

vqk3adU.png

Holy **** still awaiting ours after the collapse the green energy shysters only switched 10fldays before as well.

Move to iceland for some of that geothermal sounds more feasible then that price. Maybe dont go for the fixed price just own some energy firm shares so you hedge your bets.

Are any of the special octopus tariffs viable at all. They told me the agile one doesnt work well at present as its relying on market pricing but isnt there ever a quiet period where its cheap, thats the point right:confused:

At that price surely you guys should just be installing solar panels on your roof as it would be way cheaper

vqk3adU.png
Stop looking at fixed tariffs, they are all higher than the cap. Expect 150-180 or so on the cap maybe a tad less if you continue at the same usage. Also keep in mind the average is including winter usage factoring in gas basically tripled so it's heavily inflated. Along with standing charges going insane.

This is mental. Checked out Octopus website to see this...

Your new quote
£5,030.79
Based on your estimated annual usage, not the figures you gave when signing up.

Tariff cost breakdown
⚡ Electricity
Daily standing charge 26.45p /day
Unit rate 39.24p /kWh
Early exit fee £0
Gas
Daily standing charge 26.10p /day
Unit rate 12.30p /kWh
Early exit fee £0

We were force migrated when the old supplier went bust but £430 a month for Gas and Electric is just outright un-afforable. Im a little confused though...is this now or is it factoring in Octobers rise as well?

How much kwh you use per year?

rClQdKf.png

Can someone explain to me why France get a 4% increase but we get 54% ? Again rip off Britain, this is going to be a nightmare for a lot of us due to how this is managed by this government. People can't afford their bills as it is now and in April most will have to take out loans to pay them or use their credit cards and in October God help us all really they are stating we may get hit with another £1000 to our bills. Why are we getting hit with this when are neighbour country France has only had a 4% increase.:mad:

While these energy companies are making record profits year over year and with COVID and people at homes all the time and working from home they have said their profits went up due to this too.

The new standing charges are a disgrace and pure daylight robbery, the price of fuel went up not anything else. This has to stop now and sorry to say this is going to cause a lot of unrest in this country soon too, it's not like we have enough rubbish going on in our lives and the world right now.:(

EDIT: well some of the questions I asked are answered here :-

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/07/why-are-energy-bills-so-much-cheaper-in-france-16059524/

You can't compare the prices unles UK and France is connected to the same grid? Does UK and France supply power to each other?

vqk3adU.png

If you want the cheapest current price stay on the standard variable rate. Fixed price deals are heavily loaded to hedge against future cost increases.

On the topic of things in the pipeline, packaging waste reforms too for 2023/2024 but I can see these being pushed back as it will only increase the cost of consumer goods, cost of living and inflation further.

Energy is a global commodity. The grid is irrelevant.

(but yes it is connected in many places)

Electricity price is affected by a million different things

Here is the spot price in SA, the price of electricity in Australia is actually Negative at certain times of the day because they have too much generation

Of course the grid is relevant, if you can't get power from A to B then the price at B is higher. The high price in UK compared to France suggests that the connection between the two countries must be quite small - if the connection was big enough to supply all of each countries needs then the spot price would be normalized across the two countries

Back
Top Bottom