Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Why is the standing charge expected to increase? If it’s supposed to represent infrastructure costs surely it should go up by no more than inflation once per year?

Soldato
Once again we're back to my recommendation, stop using DD estimated and get onto DD actual payments if you can afford to do so.

Yeah, I switched to that recently because Shell were taking the ****. They had my DD at £205 but our usage is £150 and, at existing rates, would only increase by £20 for 4 months across the winter. Obviously that's all out the window when the rates change in a month, but they're not estimating it on that so I have no idea where they get their estimates from.

Soldato
Yea just looked at it and ran some sums based on the increases MSE suggest.

Look like for October 21 - Sept 22 if I fix I’ll be £285.80 a month. If I stay on variable I’ll be £292.01. Assuming increases are accurate.

I think it’s best to fix, especially as there are no exit fees.

You should check that they will allow you to exit the fixed tariff and stay on the SVR with them as the chances of you being able to switch to another company are slim.

I don't know the answer but worth being sure.

Soldato
repost cap estimate breakdown

52290862244_d75b7fd141_c_d.jpg
How have you calculated the unit prices. I assume there are meant to be based on the same % increase over current cap rates but the math doesn't work?

For instance
October increase 84% = 52.14p
January increase 23% = 64.13p

Soldato
If thats what they doing thats unacceptable in my opinion, even in ofgem's own words the suppliers are not allowed to factor the following into DD calculations.

Future change of tariff predictions
Future cap changes predictions

They also state if someone has a debit balance the debt has to be recovered in an affordable way to the customer. This one seems to be currently ignored from stories I have read.

I dont want my supplier to manage my money, I can manage it myself :) I also want to hold my own money in my account not in their account, unless of course they willing to pay me interest or send me some shares for the cash investment.

Totally agree @chrcoluk.

The way I've been approaching it is to take the average when electricity power consumption is low and pay that, then take the average again when it's high and pay that when the time comes.

This 'making sure consumers don't get shock hikes' is a smokescreen for them using your money, the credit you have built up, to buy the 'stock' at lower future prices and getting the benefits. Not with my money it they won't.

Caporegime
Yea just looked at it and ran some sums based on the increases MSE suggest.

Look like for October 21 - Sept 22 if I fix I’ll be £285.80 a month. If I stay on variable I’ll be £292.01. Assuming increases are accurate.

I think it’s best to fix, especially as there are no exit fees.
If jpaul's figures for SC and unit charge are anything like correct throw them into your calculations. Perhaps wait until he explains where he got them from.

Soldato
Why is the standing charge expected to increase? If it’s supposed to represent infrastructure costs surely it should go up by no more than inflation once per year?
Some weeks back it was mentioned on some sites like MSE that ofgem has approved the faster recovery of losses occurred during the Oct 2021 cap when it was massively below wholesale cost.

-- Just looked at jpaul's post, that has the cap been maintained until the losses/credit balances are repaid, so my prediction may not happen then if those prediction's are right, still waiting for the official Oct 22 cap announcement.

The electric unit rates on those predictions are mental, but ironically I actually think they are under estimated, under the current market conditions I dont see anything else other than perpetual cost increases.

Soldato
So the new address we're moving to in September, has 2 rates on the Variable it's £215 or the 1 year fixed £491. 78 based on the £2900 price cap or the £521 for the £3600 price cap

Going further at the £4600 price cap it's an eye watering £600 per Month!!!!!

by that point we cannot afford it.

Caporegime
So the new address we're moving to in September, has 2 rates on the Variable it's £215 or the 1 year fixed £491. 78 based on the £2900 price cap or the £521 for the £3600 price cap

The £215 is pretty irrelevant as the 1 October cap comes into effect very soon after you move in. Not sure where you get £2,900 from, the price cap on 1 October is going to be around £3,600 for a "typical user".

If you post the estimated usage used in your calculations someone can do the maths.

Soldato

Yes I just moved house and found myself on standard variable with BG. New house has two solar panels at least.

Soldato
The £215 is pretty irrelevant as the 1 October cap comes into effect very soon after you move in. Not sure where you get £2,900 from, the price cap on 1 October is going to be around £3,600 for a "typical user".

If you post the estimated usage used in your calculations someone can do the maths.
Time to live like a caveman and not use much tech anymore

Soldato
Totally agree @chrcoluk.

The way I've been approaching it is to take the average when electricity power consumption is low and pay that, then take the average again when it's high and pay that when the time comes.

This 'making sure consumers don't get shock hikes' is a smokescreen for them using your money, the credit you have built up, to buy the 'stock' at lower future prices and getting the benefits. Not with my money it they won't.

If it matters that much to you, go onto actual DD payments instead of estimated.

They can never take more than you use on actual.

Associate
My DD went from £119 (last years' fix) to £238 with British Gas, I'm currently £420 in credit with them (!?)
I asked to reduce my DD to £200, they said their recommended DD was at least £218 including my current credit amount.

So questions are:
- Why did they bump it up to £238 when I was already massively in credit when my last fix ended and now they're saying it should be lower.
- My tariff didn't double so why has my DD doubled and they still think I'll owe them £200 by the end of this fix even with £420 credit + the governments' £400

It's because they're conning scumbags that's why...

Soldato
I had the same problem, fish that came with the house.

Previous owners could have tried to re-home their pets prior to leaving, but nope, and I didn't really want fish.

In the end I found a new owner for some of them, and the rest I found a new home, it has to have been a better bet than the small pond they were stuck in at my house.
I keep skimming posts but have seen fish mentioned then the next post is about airfryers.... Can't help but laugh and see a solution there.

Back
Top Bottom